The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Pharmer

Collectors/Anybody... Please help. What are these??

My father-in-law has recently come across several old guns a couple rifles and shotguns we have no idea what they they are or how to find anything out about these.
(posting in both rifle and shotgun forums...sorry)

Its a hammer lock ? 20 gauge side by side double barrel. All I can read on the side is a worn incription that reads --escent FireArms Co- Norwich, Con-- USA. It's very tight and in good working order. No sn or anything else written on it, some rust near the end of the barrel but it'll clean up nice. Any body have any info about this? possible $?

The rifle I know even less about but it has a sn 8157 stamped on it. Then a crown over R, star C, something that looks like a dart, then FL8u.1.L. Then a circle with a crown, in the circle are the letters BLG, could be ELG.
Its a breech loader (pic below) I have no idea what the chamber is... Any info or a way to identify it would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks guys/gals

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72...4/DSC00750.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72...4/DSC00749.jpg

Sorry about all the pics, just thought I'd put up a bunch to see if anyone could identify.
Old December 22, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

The shotgun is a Crescent. No collector value particularly, but a good shooter.
The rifle is a Flobert-style. Made for shooting VERY weak cartridges. Most were .22 caliber and used .22 BB caps. No collector interest, either.
Bill
Old December 23, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Pharmer

thanks Bill. Just wondering didn't know where to start with these.
Old December 23, 2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Ruger4570

Unfortunatly,, being old doesn't necessarily make it worth much,, LOL,, just take me for example..Just hang on to them, documet what they are and pass them down to the kids, who hopefully will pass them down too. Preserve a little history..
Old December 23, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Wiley

FWIW, open hammer doubles are worth a bit more because of the cowboy shooting game. I used an internal hammer Crescent 12ga. for a couple of years, shot well.