The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Skeetin'870

Remington 3200

I have recently been looking at O/U's a very nice man who has helped me from day one is selling his remington 3200 competetion skeet with briley fitted tubes an adjustable stock, comb and nasco hard case. Does anybody know how much i should pay for it. This is a man who takes excellent care of his guns. It is truly 100 percent. He breaks them down and cleans everything before he leaves the club.
Anyway just looking for advice,
Walt
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 28, 2005, 04:58 AM   #2
kudu

I don't know what the current prices are for 3200''s, but they are one of the finest shotguns that Remington ever made. Krieghoff bought the pattents to them and brought out their virtually identical K32 shotgun. Browse on some of the gun auction sites to get a high figure.
Old September 28, 2005, 08:37 AM   #3
K80Geoff

First the Remington 3200 is not the forerunner of the K32. The K32 was derived from the Remington 32.

The 3200 is a fine gun that will last for a lifetime or two. They are well made and have one of the best triggers you will find in any double.

One thing to check is whether the gun has had the factory modification. This is indicated by a dot in the serial number and small screws next to the hole in the breech face the firing pins protrude through when you pull the trigger. Ask the owner if this has been done, if he is honest about it he will tell you.

The 3200 has one achillies heel, it is the forend "Iron". This is the metal plate in the forend that holds the forend to the gun. It also is part of the cocking and ejecting mechanism. Because it is a sheet stamping it will flex a bit. This can cause the forend wood to crack. This is a well known fault in the 3200 design and probably caused Remington to drop the gun as they were constantly replacing forends. Many high volume shooters disconnected the ejectors and this usually solved the problem. Almost all doubles use a casting or forging for the forend iron.

That said the 3200 is a great gun, albeit a bit on the heavy side. Unfortunately they were produced before the interchangeable choke tube revolution and the barrel setup makes it difficult to retrofit tubes. Briley has thin walled tubes that can be fitted however.

As to price, the book lists the price for a 100% gun at $1250. Less for worn guns. 28" bbls will command a higher premium as they are rare. The choke tubes might be worth more also. If it is a special edition, "1 of 1000" it's value will increase.
Old September 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Ruger4570

K80 hit every point I was going to make and saved me a lot of typing
Old September 28, 2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Star54

In excellent shape and with the brileys and nasco case, you should be looking in the $1800-$2000 range. If you were on the East Coast it would bring quite a bit more.

Star54
Old September 28, 2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Skeetin'870

Also it has an adujustable stock for drop and length of pull/recoil reduction.
I know the man selling it and it has been welll taken care of. It has the factiry mod and the most important thing i can hit with it. But the wannamacher show is coming up so i will check there before i make any desicions. oh it does alos have 28 in barells and it is a 1in1000 guns.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 29, 2005, 10:03 AM   #7
K80Geoff

I in 1000 and adjustable stock with 28" bbls is a desirable gun. Check with the owner about the Remington recall to see if it was done.

The 3200 is an excellent gun for trap and skeet. The Briley chokes are good also.

This gun would probably bring $3000 in the NE US in the condition you describe.

Almost every die hard Trap and Skeet shooter has a 3200 in their gun collection. If it fits you buy it, once you start with an O/U you will not want to go back to repeaters.

You mentioned Briley "Fitted Tubes" Did you mean choke tubes or sub gauge tubes?
Old September 29, 2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Skeetin'870

Its the sub gauge tubes in a nasco hard case. The recall service was preformed. The man always checks for recalls and has the work done. On anything he owns no matter the price he does that. Also the length of pull adjustment is nice cause im still growing and it reduces recoil quite a bit.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 30, 2005, 06:38 AM   #9
K80Geoff

Sounds like a great gun! If it fits you as you say it is probably worth $3000 or more. Given the care it has been given and the extras it comes with. The sub gauge tubes are a plus but do add weight. Try them first.

I misunderstood about the Briley tubes, assuming (ASS out of U and ME )you meant choke tubes.

For Skeet this gun is set up properly. Excellent choice for a first dedicated Skeet gun.
Old September 30, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10
jtb1967

Be very careful with used trap and skeet guns. Many of them look mint but have thousands of rounds through them. I watched my father wear out a Beretta over and under skeet gun that still looked 95% or better externally, but was worn out internally.
Old September 30, 2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Skeetin'870

oh k80 i made a point ot shoot 28 gauge and hit a 23 with my first time using them. Also i well realize that it has had thousands of rounds through it but i know he takes care of them and has had it taken apart and cleaned by a professional gunsmith. I know this because i also know the smith he said there have been no major problems and the firing pins were replaced before it went out of service for his k80. He is unfortunantly going to be gone for a week and i cant shoot again until then.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 30, 2005, 05:43 PM   #12
auto45

3200's are rebuildable if needed so I wouldn't worry too much.

I've seen many with a "ton" of rounds through them and they work fine like any good O/U with some care given. "Ton" means past the 100,000 mark and still going.
Old October 2, 2005, 03:16 PM   #13
K80Geoff

Guns like the 3200 are easily rebuilt. All the parts that can wear or break can be easily replaced.

Just be careful or you will be buying a K80 next!!!

Old October 8, 2005, 05:53 PM   #14
Skeetin'870

Well my mom got it yesterday and didnt say anything. But now i have a very good O/U That will last me as long as i take care of it. Anybody who owns one or knows enough would fill me in on standard maintanence and care.
Thank you in advance,
Skeetin'870
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old October 12, 2005, 09:04 AM   #15
K80Geoff

I would ask the gentleman you purchased the gun from how he performed maintainence on the gun.

Basic thing with O/U's is to keep the hinge well greased.

Also do not be tempted to squirt stuff into the trigger mechanism, it will either gum up the works or strip off the lubricants already there.

Also be aware that the bottom barrel "Floats" in a pair of hangers, one at the muzzle and the other where the front of the forearm is. The barrels are only solidly attached at the breech. This allows the barrels to expand separately when they heat up and not affect the Point of Impact. The bottom barrel may just move ever so slightly if you insert your finger in the muzzle OF AN UNLOADED GUN and wiggle it. This is part of the design.

Most Skeet shooters are not wont to use the ejectors on their guns, so you may want to learn how to open the gun so as to gently lift the empties instead of tossing them into the shooter behind you.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:54 PM   #16
rugerdude

Man, that gun is heavy (well, when you consider that I shoot skeet with a mossberg 500 18.5" barrel and composite stock) but it is quite a bit of fun. What a nice looking piece too.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:07 PM   #17
K80Geoff

OK Now you have to train with the gun. Build up your strength.

Best way to do this is to (With an unloaded gun of course!) hold the gun down at your hip and mount to your shoulder. Do this in reps of ten untill you can do 100 without a break. Not as easy as it would seem to be but this will help you to handle the gun without fatigue. The weight will soak up recoil but the gun will get heavy unless you train with it.
Old October 12, 2005, 09:26 PM   #18
Skeetin'870

Quote:
OK Now you have to train with the gun. Build up your strength.
Oh i did last night. It was actually quite fun but i took a different approach. I stood in front of a mirror and swung like i was shooting. I did this for about a half hour and my scores improved DRASTICLY. Also he had a profesional gunsmith cleanit every year and he lubed all contact points before assembly and removed after use. It really is a nice gun i shot 2 23's a 22 all with 20 ga and shot a 19 With the .410 bore. But boy people are impressed when you hit a bird with that little a shell. I dont get it its not that hard.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through