The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2005, 08:04 PM   #1
DanV1317

Redding Turret for pistol?

I have a turret press which i use for my rifles now. The question is, should i start reloading on it for my .40 or will it be too much of a hastle without a progressive? I will probably be shooting like 400-500 rounds a month. Is it possible? Waste of time? Worth while? Let me know
Dan
Old May 15, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
cheygriz

Your Redding turret will work fine for 400-500 rounds per month. It certainly won't be a waste of time.

If your shooting increases though, you will definitely want a progressive. The Dillon 1050 and 650 are the cat's meow! Ne plus ultra!
Old May 15, 2005, 09:04 PM   #3
DanV1317

would you consider just getting a cheap lee progressive? i wont be shooting more than 800 a month, that's for sure.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
cheygriz

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't consider getting a Lee progressive if they were free.

If you currently have a Redding, you obviously appreciate quality. You won't get it from Lee.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:42 AM   #5
MADISON

Redding Turret for pistol?

We have 9 Lyman T-Mag terret presses set up for seperate calibers.
The Redding Terret is the best territ press available!

I started out, 35 years ago with a Lyman Spart-T [terret] press. Only when I got a 30-30 did I get an RCBS Jr. and then traded up to a new Rock Chucker. In adition to the above mentioned 9, have have a Hornady progressive, for long runs. Go for the Redding/with the priming tool.
Old May 21, 2005, 07:32 AM   #6
crazylegs

Yeah, I understand that T7 is the cat's meow of turrets.
Crazylegs
Old May 29, 2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Sturm

And I do my reloading on a single stage and shoot plenty. My Press and Dies say REDDING (Boss) and it has a top dead center feature I could never part with. I know you guys must be familiar with this, but for those who aren't, Top-Dead-Center is a heavy roll pin that runs horizontally through the press that stops the ramstroke consistently at the same point on every top stroke. Competition seating dies are unnecessary and my OAL tolerances, pistol or rifle are consistently +/- .001" and I don't think it gets better than that since +/- 0" does not exist.

Cheygriz put it bluntly, but very effectively. When someone raves about the quality of LEE, well I find it scary and if they have been at it for a long time, I can't say what I think about that on the Forum. But, it does make me wonder how much they actually reload. If I wanted a Turret, I would buy the T7, but I haven't seen anything about a Top-Dead-Center feature, but since it is a REDDING philosophy, I would like to think it is on the T7. When REDDING makes a progressive, someone please be sure to let me know! Might change my life! It will surely save me some time!
Old May 29, 2005, 06:43 PM   #8
kgpcr

Why spend 650.00 for a loader

In my mind the Blue presses are overpriced and not that good a value. I own a Hornady progressive and It was only 300.00 new with a powder measure from Cabelas. it loads hundreds per hour and change overs are cheap. 22.00 for each Caliber. Also its fast only a few minutes to change over. they have great service and support. You dont need a new press with a case feeder to load 500 a month. i can do that in a little over an hour. Dillon makes a great press i just think they are overpriced Hornady also has 5 stations you dont get with a Dillon 550B
Old May 30, 2005, 12:24 AM   #9
Sturm

kgpcr, I have looked at the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive as well and I like it for the value and features. A true evaluation of it vs. Dillon is something I would be interested in. I do some things during the reloading process that would make me stop the routine to accomplish them and that has been the only reason I haven't gone to a progressive for at least my handgun loads. The powder measure set-up on the Hornady with the pre-select powder charge feature for multiple calibers is a novel feature of Big Red!