The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
BigSlick

FA 42 headstamp - corrosive ?

Hi guys,

I picked up some 30-06 brass at the show over the weekend. It is in great shape and the price was right - 2.00 for 50.

I got it home and was going to start prepping it and noticed it is primed. Looks like the original primer, since the crimp is still in place. I am not about to load with 63 year old primers.

Before I started to get rid of these and swage the crimp out I have a couple of questions:

Are the primers from RA 42 corrosive and what are the chances they are still live ? If so, any idea on the best way to deprime ?

Thanks in advance for any insight

BigSlick
Old April 19, 2005, 09:58 PM   #2
cheygriz

Yes, they are corrosive!

There is no good reason not to load a few and shoot them. this is probably "pull down" brass. If the primers are still good, and they should be, you'll have no trouble. You must, of course, clean your barrel immediately with a solvent that neutralizes corrosive salts, or warm soapy water.

If the primers are dead (highly unlikely) drop a quick spray of WD-40 into the case mouth and let sit overnight. Then deprime normally, but carefully.

I know you're not supposed to deprime live primers, but I've done several thousand and never had one go off.

The operative words here are: SLOW, AND CAREFUL!