The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2002, 09:05 AM   #1
jbuzzell

Which Glock

I am finally going to get a new glock for ccw. I am looking at 5 and don't know which one to get(the wife said only 1). Anyway, I don't want this to become a 'This is the CCW caliber to carry' discussion. I am just looking for some input. I want to know what caliber ( 9mm, .357, .40, or .45 ) would be the safest for myself and bystanders. I dont want to overpenetrate (.45 ball) but I want to get something with plenty of stopping power. I will more than likely carry Hydra-Shoks as I have had no problems shooting them from other guns. I originally was leaning toward the G36 though further consideration of the mag capacity pointed me to the G30. Then I was debating on weather a pistol of that size in that big of a caliber would be controlable. So....I think I am now leaning toward the G27, G33, and G26, in that order. Please give me some input as to what you have shot in those guns and calibers and let me know your opinions. I have been lurking around the forums for a long time and have found much valuable information. Thanks in advance for any input you all may have.

Jeff
Old May 18, 2002, 09:13 AM   #2
Ewok_Guy

The Glocks you mentioned are quite small. If you want control go with a bigger model. How about a 22 or 17?

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old May 18, 2002, 09:21 AM   #3
Kentucky Rifle

Jeff...

I went to my gun shop with the intention of buying a G33. My mind was made up. I came out with a G27, and I'm glad I did. My G27 is my favorite carry pistol and is very accurate. For some reason, people say that same thing a lot about the "mini" Glocks. The G27 is smaller than a G30 but not quite as thin as a G36. But, it will carry NINE rounds of Hydra-Shok. Your thinking is correct. I don't think you'll be sorry if you buy that G27. As far as the recoil some people talk about, I'll say this. My little wife simply LOVES to shoot "our" G27!

KR
Old May 18, 2002, 09:36 AM   #4
ronin308

9mm penetrates more than .45ACP. There is no magic caliber that will make bystanders safe. Rule #4- Be sure of your target and what's beyond. This is the only insurance against letting stray bullets fly. That said, I'd go with whatever caliber you think you can handle. Another consideration is the cost of practice ammo. If you can afford to buy .357 Sig, .40, and .45 in large quantities, good. If you can't, pick up a 9mm. You can get practice ammo for cheap. Its better to have mastered a 9mm than to barely know a .357 Sig.
Old May 18, 2002, 09:46 AM   #5
Kermit

I'd go w/ the 26. Practicing using 9mm is fun and relatively cheap.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:03 AM   #6
ragingbull454

Get the G30!

Jeff:

I have a G30, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Its small, compact, and can hold 10 rounds of .45 power. I'm only 5'7" tall, and recoil is not a problem with me. I don't have any problem controlling it. I use Wolf ammo as practice. Some places have it for like $6/box of 50 if you get in on a sale. Usual price for Wolf ammo is about $7. If you have small hands, then the G30 is for you. I tried the G19 (9MM) and the G21 (.45) and they were both too big for my hands. I loved how the G30 fit right in my hands perfectly. I reccommend that you look into the g30. You mentioned concealed carry? I think the g30 is excellent for concealed carry. Another thing that you might want to think about is the overall size of the gun. I think the g19 and g21 are simply too big to use as a carry weapon, but every person has their own opinion. I hope this was of some help to you.

My email address is [email protected] if you have further questions. I noticed you were from Des Monies, IA. If you ever get to the Chicago area, let me know, and I'll let you try my G30. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

Erick
Old May 18, 2002, 10:17 AM   #7
WOLV314

I would suggest either the G19,23,or 32.

RIP-Gunslinger 5/17/02
NRA Life Member
Dysfuntional Ordinary Citizen Who Possesses Weapons
Old May 18, 2002, 12:37 PM   #8
Zak Smith

I have compiled a list of ballistic gelatin data you might find useful here . Below the data is some discussion on what it means.

Here are some old threads on caliber effectiveness:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=77470
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&threadid=5856
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=78780
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=79012
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=80848
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=78677

As sort-of a summary of what I wrote in some of those threads:

Between .40, .357SIG, and 9x19, I'd throw .357SIG out for the following reasons:
[list=1][*] The terminal ballistics are not dramatically better than .40, or even 9x19 in some cases (see FBI data arguments elsewhere)[*] bullet set-back is more common than other pistol cartridges[*] muzzle blast and extra-loud report can make flinching worse [*] not all .40 hi-caps can reliably feed .357SIG, but many can.[*] .357SIG ammo is much more expensive, and harder to find, than .40, .45, or 9x19.[/list=1]

Before anything else, let me note than terminal ballistics depend almost as much on particular bullet and load choice as they do on caliber!. This can be seen from the FBI table results I linked to. An example of this principle is that .45 FMJ is going to perform worse than a good 9x19 HP.

We left with .45, .40, and 9x19. As long as you pick a good load, they will rank in that order for terminal ballistics: .45 is clearly best, .40 is a bit behind, and 9x19 is a bit behind 9x19. The measure I am using for this determination is "average wound volume between clothed and bare gelatin", throwing out rounds that overpenetrate a lot. (This is discussed in more depth in the FBI table data.)

The nice thing about .40 is that it fits in a 9x19-sized package. If you can shoot it as well, go for it, otherwise take the 9x19 -- 9mm is clearly effective and you'll probably be able to shoot it faster.

Another pistol to consider are the mid-size Glocks, the model 19 and 23. They are not much larger to carry than the sub-compact model 26,27, and 33, but are easier to shoot and have higher capacity.

I have a model 19 (9x19), 23 (.40), 27 (.40), and 32 (357SIG)... I can shoot the model 19 accurately faster than the .40's or .357. With a good defensive load, it will be virtually just as effective on a per-shot basis as the .40's, and I can get more lead on target faster. I prefer shoting the .40's much more than shooting the .357SIG, and since there is no compelling terminal ballistics reason to use .357SIG, I just leave a .40 barrel in the model 32 when it's in a "defensive" role.

-z
Old May 18, 2002, 01:49 PM   #9
KEN CHAVEZ

I carry the Glock-27 with Cor-Bon 135gr. JHP!
Old May 18, 2002, 02:21 PM   #10
dawg23

Jeff:

Have you considered getting a new wife and then getting all the Glocks??
Old May 18, 2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Shmackey

Quote:
If you have small hands, then the G30 is for you.
I don't know. My hands are small and it still seemed blocky to me. I think the grip circumference is the same as you'll find on the G21--just shorter.
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old May 18, 2002, 05:14 PM   #12
lunde

While my favorite Glock is the Model 20, I'd have to vote for the Model 32 for your needs.
Old May 18, 2002, 05:39 PM   #13
WSH-SA

G26-- with quality ammo. 9mm ammo is cheap and fun to practice with. have fun and be safe.
Old May 18, 2002, 06:51 PM   #14
Arub

If you have not shot a .40S&W, any make or model, I would suggest that you do so before you settle on the G27. I shoot mostly forties, but there is indeed a noticable difference between it, the 9mm and the .45. The much larger projectile leaves the muzzle at the same velocity as the 9mm making for a little harsher recoil/muzzle flip. Compared to the .45, it has a hard light (energy is comparable with a slight edge for the .40 over the .45). It leaves the muzzle considerably faster than the .45 and also has a harsher recoil. It took me awhile to accomodate the .40, but now it is one of my favorites.
Old May 18, 2002, 07:05 PM   #15
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I have the G19/26 combo - mainly for the inexpensive ammo and I did not want to add another caliber. If you don't reload, 9 is the way to go.

I've shot a G27 extensively and the recoil is snappy, but less (IMHO) than a .357 wheelgun. Heck of a lot less muzzle blast.

My favories for ammo capacity/small size ratio is the G19/23 series. Hi Cap mags are available at decent prices, if your held to ten rounds, this is the smallest (in .40) you can get. I also find that they are a bit eaiser to shoot well.

The G30 is a strange critter. I have never seen one for sale used (around here) and finally shot one a while back. I have smallish hands and thought they were too "blocky". Blocky they may be, but they shoot very, very well. I may have to grab a G30 before too long.

HTH

Giz
Old May 19, 2002, 11:06 AM   #16
Kentucky Rifle

I agree wth Gizmo...

A G27's recoil is (IMHO) quite a bit less than a .357 snub.

KR
Old May 19, 2002, 11:51 AM   #17
the duck of death

new Glock

I have a G23, it is larger than the G27 and thus might be a little easier to handle, although I hear the Pierce +1 on the mag of the 27 helps alot. I find the 23 is easy to conceal with an IWB holster. If you can, handle them all and get the one that fits you best. You will find them accurate, reliable and easy to maintain.
Old May 19, 2002, 07:58 PM   #18
jbuzzell

Thanks

Well, after carefull consideration.......I cant decide. I think I have narrowed it to a G23 or G27. I was wanting to ankle carry and that would be next to impossible with the G23. Anyway, will head out to the range this week and shoot the G23 (can rent one) and then will try and find a G27 to try. I figure, with enough practice, I can get either of the two under control and shooting well. Thanks for all your input....I really appreciate everyones opinion.

Jeff
Old May 19, 2002, 08:12 PM   #19
9x45

The G17/G22 are not that much harder to conceal than the smaller compact and subcompacts. I have, and do shoot, all sizes of 9mm and 40S&W Glocks. 40's are not pleasant to shoot, so I suggest a 9mm.
My carry guns are a G22, G17 and a S&W640.
Old May 19, 2002, 10:41 PM   #20
TurboRocket

Jbuzz, you are doing the right thing by renting first. I wish I did that on my first few purchases many years ago. I went through 1 S&W (I know, I know - what can I say, I had no clue back then), 1 Sig P220, 2 HK USPs, before settling on Glocks (and 1911s).

I like the 9mm and .45 myself. The 19, 17, and 34 are all great shooters. I might have to add the 26 here shortly. My favorite is the 21. When CCW passes in my state, I think I will be carrying a 30 though.

Though I have a 35, the .40 cal just doesn't fit me. The 9mm and .45 both offer me much quicker follow up shots. For me, the .40 cal is just a bit snappier than I like.

I guess it is all a matter of personal preferences. I wouldn't feel particularly under-gunned with a 9mm, though others would not want one if it were free.

If the 23 and 27 fit your needs, then that is all that matters. Get one now and add the other down the road so you can pack a back-up.

TurboRocket
Old May 19, 2002, 10:55 PM   #21
TurboRocket

TurboRocket
Old May 20, 2002, 04:12 AM   #22
denfoote

I was not going to get into this, but I have to put a plug in for the much malaigned G36. I used to carry the G26. (That's another story that most of you have heard by now) After that little bit of equipment relocation ended, I found a new Glock 30 under the Christmas tree. Well, as it turned out, the G30 was to fat for my hand, so I traded it in for a G36. (Boy, was she pissed!!! I was asked earlier if I wanted the 30 or the 36. Guess what I answered ???? ) Anyway, I carry the G36. I find that it is the most versitile handgun I own. Usually, I carry IWB. But I can pocket, ankle, and hip carry it and do when the situation warrants it. I also have to give a plug for the so-called "bigger hole going in" theory. Why wait for a 9mm or 10mm Kurz round to "expand" to .45 caliber, when you can have that right off the bat!! The 4 round thing ain't squat either. I just carry two spare mags instead of one!!! I also load it with Cor-Bon 165gr +P's which give me a .45ACP slug that travels as swiftly as a 9mm!!!

In short, do the right thing and get the G36. If not, the G26 is a sweet little gun and I recommend it as a second choice!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old May 20, 2002, 06:24 AM   #23
jbuzzell

Well....of the 3 gunshops I visited with my dilemma.....they all gave high marks to the G36 and said that is what they would choose out of the 26, 27, 30, 36. I think that the G36 is going to have to be one of the ones I locate to shoot also. Will let everyone know what I decide.

Thanks
Old May 20, 2002, 10:46 AM   #24
PikeB

Bought my first Glock(27) two weeks ago...I am impressed!!! I am now hooked on Glocks. I bought the 27 because I am partial to the .40 cal and because of its concealability. What I didn't expect at the time of purchase was the incredible accuracy I would experience with this gun! My next gun purchase will most definitely be a Glock; probably a .45 cal for "winter carry".
Be safe...
Old May 20, 2002, 11:02 AM   #25
python1340

I have a Glock 36. It is remarkable fat for a single stack gun that only holds 6+1. The Glock 30 is even fatter.