The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2014, 02:01 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Beretta White Wing

Found a local deal on one for $900. Doesnt appear to have more than a few hundred rounds tops through it. I like the fit of Beretta in general and im in the market for a new shotgun.
Im not familiar with the White Wing, is it worth it? I have never heard anything bad about Beretta O/U's in general.
I should mention that I will shoot mostly sporting clay with this and likely some upland. Always the chance it will go waterfowl. But as long as I have a decent S/C gun I will be happy.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 1, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
BigJimP

Beretta makes a solid gun ....if it fits you / its probably fine.

As I remember the White Wing was their entry level field gun...not that, that matters.../ is it worth $ 900 used in today's market, sure...maybe more...as long as it has changeable screw in chokes in it. If it doesn't, I'd pass on it.

Browning Citori Lightning - the older versions/field grade guns...new in 1988 were $ 750 ...and today they're selling for around $ 1,000 - $ 1,250 with the older version of the Invector screw in chokes in them - even if they have 25,000 shells thru them....
Old May 1, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
COK

A well made firearm and that would be a honest price for a 12ga in real nice shape in my area.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:37 PM   #4
PetahW

IIRC, the White Wing is a silvered receiver Beretta 686 Onyx - the best O/U I ever had (A 20ga, with scaled-down receiver).

I liked it better than the Japanese Brownings, SKB, and the Ruger Red Labels, I've had.

IMO the Beretta's feel much more lively during handling.

Old May 1, 2014, 07:29 PM   #5
RoosterBooster3632

Nice Gun

I have a White Wing 12 ga O/U and I really like it. Nice for clays or trap and nice a light to carry in the field. I took it west Pheasant hunting for several years. The only downside with it for the Pheasants out west was that shooting 3" shells in the gun can make some noticeable recoil.