The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Mainah

Best Single Action 20 Gauge?

I recently starting hunting snowshoe hares, and I've found my 870 to be too heavy. And after my last hunting trip in heavy snow I had to break it down to dry and clean despite having never fired a shot. Plus I've got to switch barrels and shells to convert from hunting to hd. And finally I've been looking for a cheap, reliable gun to keep in the garage.

I want something I can use for skunks, groundhogs, and something I can grab in a pinch if an aggressive dog shows up. And something that I can grab for a quick rabbit or bird hunt. I'll build a custom and hidden cabinet for it, but it will be stored in an unheated garage.

After some research it looks like Rossi and H&R are my best options. Any advice? Seems like 20 gauge makes more sense than a 410. But I'm open to any thoughts.
Old February 6, 2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Virginian

Did you mean single shot?
Old February 6, 2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Jo6pak

The H+R singles are simple, inexpensive, and well built. Should provide you with decades of trouble free use.
My brother still uses a 20 as his go-to for everything with feathers or fur, 25 years after dad bought it for him.
Old February 6, 2014, 11:51 PM   #4
bigghoss

Quote:
The H+R singles are simple, inexpensive, and well built. Should provide you with decades of trouble free use.
My brother still uses a 20 as his go-to for everything with feathers or fur, 25 years after dad bought it for him.
This. I just found two old 12ga H&R shotguns for $80 each and a really nice 20 for $140. Saw a .410 for $95 and I probably could have talked him down but I wasn't really feeling it.

I also got a Rossi Tuffy recently and it's very light at only 3lbs. The Rossi guns don't feel quite as solid as the H&R/NEF but they seem to be built well enough.
Old February 7, 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Pahoo

Perhaps a Savage ??

Try and find a good used Savage-24, in .22LR over 20Ga and you will have the best of both worlds. Or go with the new Savage-42. Or find yourself good used .20Ga, break/box action ...

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Mainah

@Virginian-in-LA, single-shot. Sorry for the poor description. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Found a nice, used H&R 20 for $119 at a local shop that I'd never been to before today. I was tempted. But the guy behind the counter was on the phone when I walked in, he didn't greet me, and he swore a blue streak while he talked on the phone while I walked around.

Then when he did talk to me the rough language continued. I don't have virgin ears, he never said anything that I don't say in conversation with buddies. But I'd never, ever talk that way in front of a customer. I walked.
Old February 7, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
TMW89

I really like H&R. Nice, reliable guns at great prices.

I wouldn't have bought from that guy either. Good choice.
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old February 7, 2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Pahoo

Here's your sign !!!

Quote:
But I'd never, ever talk that way in front of a customer. I walked.
Yah, can't say I blame you and as a customer, completely your call. I once walked into one of my LGS and into the middle of some negative labels about Blacks and Mexicans. Now, I'm Ex-Navy and most certainly have used some of the words and then some. Whether them or me, it shows lack of maturity. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Try and find a good used Savage-24, in .22LR over 20Ga and you will have the best of both worlds. Or go with the new Savage-42.
Oooh, great idea there. The first gun I hunted with was my father's old Savage O/U (I think that one was .22 over .410) Many a bunny and squirrel found it's way to the stewpot by that Savage. Not really sure if it would be lighter than his 870 though, it was a long time ago that I carried one afield.
Also, not sure what they are running moneywise these days.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:30 AM   #10
idek

The 20 gauge H&R/NEF is a good choice. I've got a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge. The 20 seems better balanced, because there is more weight around the chamber.

I prefer the Choate synthetic stock and forend over the original wood furniture. They are trimmer and feel better in my hands, the stock dimensions (length, drop at comb, & drop at heel) fit me better, and the recoil pad is pretty decent.

The synthetic stuff is a bit lighter in weight. Whether that's good or bad may depend on what you want.
Old February 8, 2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Mainah

Just paid $150 for a used NEF, 12 gauge at LL Bean. More expensive that some I've seen, but in much better shape. And the Bean guarantee is good for life, and they're only four miles from the house.

Plus I've got hundreds of various 12 gauge shells on hand already. Thanks again, time to shoot.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Jo6pak

Congrats, good choice. Just be prepared, the lightweight single will buck a bit more than the 870.
Also, remember to practice shouldering the new gun while wearing your hunting clothes.

Have fun chasing snowies and let us know how you do.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Mainah

Yeah, about that kick... It did come with a recoil pad, that helps. Small game loads aren't bad. But I won't be running a ton of slugs through it. Seems like a good bird gun too.

I've been thinking about a gun to keep in the garage for awhile, something that can handle skunks, groundhogs, coyote, and stray dogs. Plus I can keep my 870 ready for HD if I decide to go out for rabbits on the spur of the moment.

And finally, my father-in-law is an incredible firearms instructor. Taught my wife how to shoot when she was a kid, and then taught me after we married. Kind, and patient guy with a ton of knowledge. I'm lucky to have learned from him.

But when he introduced my wife to shotguns he started with 12 gauge buckshot and an 870. She came home with a bruised shoulder and a stubborn aversion to shooting one again. So my plan is to re-introduce her to shotguns with the NEF single-shot and light loads. Then let her try some low-recoil hd shells with the 870.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:30 PM   #14
hdbiker

NEF

I've had a NEF 3 inch .12 gauge for several years. It's lightweight and 2 ounces of #4 shot will rock you on your heels. I paid 65 dollars for it at K Mart. hdbiker
Old February 8, 2014, 02:47 PM   #15
jaguarxk120

That $65 dollar price sailed long ago.

They are much more than that now.
Old February 8, 2014, 05:06 PM   #16
bigghoss

Quote:
I've had a NEF 3 inch .12 gauge for several years. It's lightweight and 2 ounces of #4 shot will rock you on your heels. I paid 65 dollars for it at K Mart. hdbiker
Quote:
That $65 dollar price sailed long ago.

They are much more than that now.
If I could find a used one for $65 I'd snatch it up, unless it was really bad.
Old February 8, 2014, 07:23 PM   #17
AKexpat

My first shotgun in 1964 (I was 12) was a Springfield Arms (Chicopee Falls, Mass) 20 ga. SS break-open w/ejector. It was a "house" brand for Savage/Stevens, I believe.

I used it for pheasants and quail until I acquired my 870 in 1969.

It was a good gun with no problems and I killed my fair share of birds with it.

After I got the 870, my Dad assumed ownership of the 20 and proceeded to install a 18" .357 Max barrel (Numrich Arms) on the action for use as a deer rifle.

As I recall, it had quite a bit of drop at the heel.