The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 23, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
dgludwig

Holster for a K-frame S&W Revolver

I'm looking for a well-made, leather holster to fit my 2" barrel, Model 12 revolver. I've found (and have a couple) plenty of holsters to fit 2 1/2" and 3" barreled models but I want as little leather showing as possible for ccw carry. I'm looking for a "pancake" style holster with a thumb-break fastener, preferably lined. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
craZivn

I've heard good things about FIST holsters, I believe they have the configuration that you are looking for.

Had good personal experience with Crossbreed, Side Guard and Holsters by Braids although I don't believe any of them offer a thumb break.

Bad experience with Simply Rugged and will never let them take my money again.

Here are links to FIST, for some reason they have two websites: www.fist-holsters.com www.fist-inc.com

Ivan
Old July 23, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Other factors...

There are a few other factors to consider before giving any suggestions out...
Do you want a high end custom rig? Can you wait a few weeks or months? Do you want any type(leather Kydex nylon etc).
Id advise against lined holsters. I've heard in the past that lined styles can collect dirt or moisture faster & can cause problems.
In general there are a few high end brands you can look at. Id call the holster shop or firm first to make 100% sure the design will fit & is what you are looking for. Many times firearm makers have small changes or modifications done to the same model that can cause the holster not to fit correctly.

Top brands include; El Paso Saddlery, Kirkpatrick Leather, Galco, Alessi, Wright Leather Works, Milt Sparks, Ted Blocker, Mitch Rosen, Tex Shoemaker, Bianchi-intl, Safariland, Mernickle, Kramer Leather, Ken Null, Del Fatti, Blade-tech, High Noon Holsters, Simply Rugged.

Some holster shops offer exotic designs like shark, hippo, snake, deer, horsehide, etc.

CF
Old July 23, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
MLeake

Check out andrewsleather.com

Sam Andrews makes extremely nice gear, either in standard leather (traditional catalog) or all sorts of interesting skins (exotic catalog).

Some gear, he will have already in stock. Considering the quality of his work, turnaround time for gear he does not have in stock really is not bad.

He makes very nice gun belts, too.