The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
boxjeff

Have a X-Bow question for experienced hunters?

Junior/kids Cross-Bow, Should I get one for myself as an adult hunter?

I have been shopping for a Cross-Bow and while in the store I came across Junior bows that seem exactly the same as full size x-bows. They were lighter, fit me better(I'm a smaller guy 5'7") and were significantly cheaper in price. Lugging a heavier Xbow around and paying more for something that does the same thing simply does not seem to make sense? The poundage on the Junior Xbows can kill just as efficiently as the larger models...correct?

Any input on why I should not purchase one as my primary Xbow other then the snickering/smiles I'll get from adult hunters?

Thanks!
Old March 24, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
jj320

just like youth firearms crossbows are built on smaller frame will shoot like the adult crossbow at same poundage . i know parker offers a youth model and so does matthews. just make sure the quality is there and it will work fine.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
boxjeff

Any specific features I should consider a must?
Old March 24, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
buck460XVR

The biggest difference other than size with youth orientated crossbows is draw weight. Most youth cannot cock the 150-175# adult bows. Lighter draw weight means slower speeds and need to use lighter bolts and maybe broad-heads. Your type of hunting will dictate whether or not this matters.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:58 PM   #5

You should consider the power stroke/kenetic energy. If you do a comparison of adult model crossbows, velocity is the easiest to compare but the energy variance is considerable depending on the manufacturer. You want the bolt to have some punch.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
boxjeff

Very interesting!

Quote:
You should consider the power stroke/kinetic energy. If you do a comparison of adult model crossbows, velocity is the easiest to compare but the energy variance is considerable depending on the manufacturer. You want the bolt to have some punch.
Any suggestions on models?
Old March 24, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
BuckRub

It'll work great. Watch Ted nugent and he shoots a 45# crossbow and shoots through deer with a compound bow. While a lot think you need a 70+ pounder. Same with crossbows , all do the job. With less poundage you get to shooter lighter bolts and that will shoot faster, less penetration but faster. All you need is fast enough to stick vitals. Lets talk guns- some like a 30-06 or a 7mag while I prefer a 223 or a 22-250 with a head shot. Either way the deer doesn't care. I've killed more deer with a 22 LR than most have killed with a large rifle. Best thing to do is get something and get out there- make memories. Have fun and enjoy what God has given us to enjoy (nature,woods,) wish you luck.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:15 AM   #8
jj320

Matthews has adjustable draw weight had a gentleman bring one into the shop i work at and was impressed with the performance. parker is also another good company. they have a lifetime warranty. side note matthews has to be bought from a pro shop or small dealer. we do not carry them at the shop i work at
Old March 27, 2013, 04:18 AM   #9
shortwave

If you're planning this bow for deer hunting, check your states hunting regs. for a minimum draw weight requirement. Many states have them. Just make sure bow meets hunting regs. requirements.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

Price wise, the trigger/safety mechanism is what separates many crossbows from each other. The top bows contain all metal parts. But you can purchase any of the medium priced models and get many years of trouble-free shooting. Parker is one company that offeres free lifetime warranty with each crossbow. This is a significant bonus!

Jack