The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
DASHZNT

.45ACP Reloading Help..

Hello Everyone... I have been reloading .45ACP for a little bit now and have made some very accurate and reliable rounds with 4.5gr of Bullseye and 230gr RN projectiles and Winchester Primers and sizing to OAL or a 100th shorter.

However, lately I have loaded some rounds with Lead projectiles and I have had alot of failure to chamber. They get stuck in the process and im trying to figure out why. I have a suspicion they might be too long or the lead tips' wax might be binding up with the feed ramp or something. Is there anyone out there that can give me some solid advice on how to remedy this situation?

Btw.. I have this issue with bot of my 1911s (SigSauer POWMIA and Springfield 1911). My Springfield XDM45 on the other hand feeds them fine but still jams up every 15 rounds or so, still unacceptable!
Old August 31, 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
jimkim

I hope this link helps. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=160772 It has a lot of technical info.
Old August 31, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
maggys drawers

What shape of bullet ? RN, SWC...???

Where are they sticking ? Hanging up on the ramp, chambering but the slide won't close... ???

Some specs on the problem rounds like OAL and crimp size and type would help, too.

Loading lead for a semi auto is a little bit different beast than loading plated or jacketed, but it isn't difficult. Just different.
Old August 31, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
However, lately I have loaded some rounds with Lead projectiles and I have had alot of failure to chamber. They get stuck in the process and im trying to figure out why. I have a suspicion they might be too long or the lead tips' wax might be binding up with the feed ramp or something. Is there anyone out there that can give me some solid advice on how to remedy this situation?
Two things I've run into, both related to seating depth:

Seat too low, and cartridges might hang up on feeding. I speculate that the case mouth is scraping on the inside of the chamber.

Seat too high, and the bullet impinges on the rifling before the cartridge is fully seated. The gun does not go into battery, or does so only with a rap on the back of the slide.

What I try for now is to seat with a bit of the lead shoulder of the bullet above the cartridge rim.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 1, 2012, 09:57 PM   #5
DASHZNT

Thanx Guys... I checked my length and it was 1.271-1.276 in length.. and the ones that were giving trouble we sitting just slightly past the barrel when I use the barrel as a case guage.

I resized everything down to 1.255-1.260 which is what my commercial ammunition was sized to and functions fine. I noticed after resizing and crimping again, they fit in the barrel perfectly flush. Although, I havent fired any of these reseated rounds, I believe they should cycle just fine now considering they fit alot better. I plan on running through a couple 100 rounds tomorow and see how they runs.. Ill let yall know what happens.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
chris in va

That was probably the issue. Listen for the 'clink' when the brass case mouth hits the chamber (leade?).
Old September 1, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
DASHZNT

Ok, will do.. and yes Lead RN 230gr projectiles.

DASHZNT
Old September 3, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8
lharrell79

A couple of things, are you taper crimping? Also, how much lube is on the bullets? I always do the plunk test when reloading lead. Fully complete a round, wipe off all the lube, and drop it in the barrel. Make sure you get the "clink".

I have had some boxes of bullets that had lube all over them. For these, I usually try to get most of it off before shooting. It can accumulate and build up in the chamber.
Old September 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #9
jcwit

Remove the barrel from the pistol and check seating depth by dropping the round into the chamber. When you finally get a free drop both into the chamber and back out of the chamber you are more than likely good to go.

Next tip, make a dummy round of this setting, will be worth it in the future.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:16 PM   #10
DASHZNT

Well... I have entire discintinued using lead cast bullets. Ive tried everytbing I could possibly try and narrowed it down to the lead melting on the feedramp and jamming up my gun.. Plus its very dirty and is a pita to clean. Ive switched to what works smooth as silk and thats copper jacket bullets. I cant make one of these jam up if i wanted to... thanx for the help fuys and sorry for the crazy late response.

DASHZNT
Old December 1, 2012, 04:23 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I shoot lead though my XD exclusively. I have no problems. the are a RNFP not sure what the OAL is at the moment, but they feed 100% without issues.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 2, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Well... I have entire discintinued using lead cast bullets. Ive tried everytbing I could possibly try and narrowed it down to the lead melting on the feedramp and jamming up my gun.. Plus its very dirty and is a pita to clean.
I shoot lead almost exclusively in my .45s. (Casting my own is the only way I could afford to shoot .45.) I've never had anything like this happen.

Leading with properly lubed bullets is minimal.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 2, 2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Gerry

In over 30 years that I've been into shooting sports, I've never heard of lead bullets melting onto the feed ramp of a .45 ACP caliber pistol. If that's the case, the problem is far worse than the choice of projectile in my opinion. I'd refrain from shooting such a gun with any ammunition until it was checked out by a competent gunsmith and the problem corrected.

Particularly with such a low pressure, slow round, there is no excuse to have even a trace of leading with a properly lubed and sized lead bullet.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:47 PM   #14
DASHZNT

Well.. whatever the case may be. My 1911s and all my .45 ACPs seems to love copper plated bullets. And lead, beyond looking cheap, is crappy and smokey and all around not good, for me at least. My guns run smoother and cleaner with copper ammo so thats all im gonna use and its only $0.02 more per round, so big deal.

DASHZNT
Old December 3, 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Exibar

Iv'e shot 1000's of RN Lead cast bullets through my Colt 1911 without issues. This almost sounds like a bad magazine... have you tried a different brand of magazine?

Mike B
Old December 3, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16
DASHZNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exibar View Post
Iv'e shot 1000's of RN Lead cast bullets through my Colt 1911 without issues. This almost sounds like a bad magazine... have you tried a different brand of magazine?

Mike B
No I have not.. I just switched to copper which works fine and runs cleaner.

DASHZNT
Old December 3, 2012, 11:32 AM   #17
hounddawg

got close to 7K of lead 200 gr SWC's through my PT1911 now, can't recall last time I had a fail to chamber or fire. Not since initial break in I guess. I use Wilson and stock Taurus mags, MBC bullets

Considering the melting temp of lead is about 700F I seriously doubt if it would melt on a feed ramp. I wonder how many hundred thousand lead bullets are sold fired every year with no issue through different guns, if there were any serious issues I doubt they would still be selling

Last edited by hounddawg; December 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:36 AM   #18
Jammer Six

It's not lead melting.

It sounds like a crimp issue to me, but I'm pretty sure we're not communicating.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:02 AM   #19
schmellba99

My first question would be to find out what the case mouth diameter is on a loaded round - odds are you are a thousandth or two out of spec.

I shoot lead almost exclusively now, mostly because it's cheap. It's no dirtier or cleaner than copper, and it's actually easier on your equipment because lead is softer than copper and does not produce the same wear that copper jacketed bullets will over the same number of rounds.

Sounds like you have one or two little factors that are a hair out of spec for your particular rig more than anything.