The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1
mathman

I just spoke with Remington...read this!

I just spoke with a representative from Remington over the phone. I was asking her about the differences between the 870 Express, Police and Wingmaster. Some of the things she mentioned were consistent with what has been said on these forums...like the finish of the three guns are different (Black Matte, Parkerized and Blue) and the fact that the Police gun has a heavier magazine tube spring, heavier duty shell latch, etc...

But the part that really had me perplexed was that she said that all of the 870s (Express, Police and Wingmaster) have the same trigger group...and that it is NOT PLASTIC! She said that it is a powder coated metal (didn't say what type).

WHAT GIVES? I have believed that the trigger assemblies (or guard) on the Express models were plastic and that the trigger assemblies (or guard) on the Police and Wingmaster models were aluminum...don't mean to keep going over and over the same topic, but THIS info is from the horses mouth!
Old October 12, 2005, 05:42 PM   #2
mathman

Well, since quite a few forum members have viewed this thread and no one has responded, all I can conclude is that you can't believe everything that you read in these forums. Lots of people have been saying that the trigger groups are different and that the express trigger group (or at least part of it) is plastic...I wonder how many of those people actually looked at the trigger groups themselves or just took it as fact after they read it.

For those who have read my posts, you know that I'm not picking a fight...nor am I calling anyone a liar, but I just find this so interesting.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Welcome to the 21st Century where companies have people answering phones who often don't just not know about the product line, but know NOTHING about guns.

Recent callers to Remington have been told that the extended magazine 18" barreled Express guns hold 7 rounds in the tube and one in the chamber for a total of 8.

There have been upset people who find that their new 18" gun holds only 6 in the tube and one in the chamber for a total of 7.

Another caller was told that ALL Remington 870 shotguns have chrome plated bolts ( they don't), and that the Model 11-87 has a "trigger adjustable for weight of pull. (It doesn't).

The Express has had a plastic trigger plate assembly for some years now.

The top-of-the-line Wingmaster and Police have aluminum trigger plates.

It's unfortunate when a company has people giving out false information but.....have you had reason to call Micro-Soft or another big company about something lately?
Old October 12, 2005, 07:26 PM   #4
cdc

I have an older 870 Express which does have an aluminum trigger group housing. My new 870 Express "does" have a synthetic trigger group housing. Been examining and messing with both, it is obvious.

cdc
Old October 12, 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

It sorta depends on who you get through to at any company, some people know and some don't.
I had a situation several months ago where one supervisor at Colt was disputing the configuration of the Series 70 retro 1911 I was calling about. I had the gun in my hand & knew more about it than he did working at the plant.
That's not saying that nobody knows what's going on at Colt or Remington, just that not everybody knows what's going on & you have to be careful who you ask.
Denis
Old October 12, 2005, 07:57 PM   #6
mathman

I believe you guys...I was really trying to tell her otherwise, but she insisted that the 'inners of all 870s are the same'. What a crock of [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color].
Old October 12, 2005, 11:42 PM   #7
Kestrel

The Express does have a plastic trigger guard. I have examined the differences in the guns - they are real.

If you call Remington 5 times with the same question, you're subject to getting 5 different answers.

Same with Browning. Same with Colt.
Old October 13, 2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

So- Who ya gonna believe, Remington...

OR US? 8^)

lpl/nc (just forget about all those times I tell people to call Remington, OK?)
Old October 13, 2005, 10:30 AM   #9
mathman

i believe you guys...of course!

i might call remington a few more times just to give 'em hell...