The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
wakeboarder141

870 Express Capacity Question

First, please excuse any stupid questions I may ask as I am a newbie to guns in general. I recently acquired an 870 Express Magnum which was purchased 4 or 5 years ago that only holds 2+1 shells. The Remington website does not list an Express Magnum, and I'm not sure which current model mine is the equivalent of, but all of the Express models listed show as holding at least four 2 3/4" shells. Is is possible there is some type of limiter in my gun? I took out the magazine spring and noticed that there is a green plastic rod that sits inside the magazine end cap which is removable. Is this required or could this be an addition that is limiting my capacity? Also, will the Express Magnum hold 3.5" shells or just 3"? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron
Old October 12, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2
joab

Hunting regs limit capacity to 2 +1
If you aren't hunting remove the plug
Old October 12, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Cactus

The green plastic rod that you noticed is the magazine plug. If you use your 870 for bird hunting, you are required to limit the magazine capacity to 2 rounds.

You can simply remove this plug if you want to use your gun for big game hunting or home defense.
Old October 12, 2005, 10:38 PM   #4
wakeboarder141

Awesome, that is exactly what I needed to know. There is no problem using the same spring without the plug?
Old October 13, 2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Dfariswheel

Hold it a second.

There MAY be a shell limiter or plug in your gun, BUT, we need to be sure the "Green plastic plug" isn't the magazine spring retainer.

When you unscrew the magazine cap and remove the barrel, look in the end of the magazine tube.

Is there a plastic plug with very coarse "teeth" sticking up out of the tube.

If so, THAT is the magazine spring retainer.

If you see a blued steel split "cup washer" that's the OLD style magazine spring retainer.

To remove the "toothed" plastic retainer, push it in with a screwdriver, and turn 90 degrees. GENTLY ease it up, and be careful, the magazine spring will try to spring out with some force.

If it's the steel cup washer retainer, use a screwdriver to pry the cup out of the magazine tube.
Again, be careful of the spring.

With whatever retainer you have out, check for a green plastic or possibly wood dowel rod in the magazine.

THAT'S the magazine block that's preventing you from loading the full 4 rounds.

Remove the plug and reassemble the spring and spring retainer.

The old style steel cup washer goes in the tube with the cupped end DOWN, and the rounded end UP.

Your Express Magnum will NOT shoot 3 1/2" shells. It will only shoot 2 3/4" or 3".

The Remington web site doesn't say much about "Express Magnum" guns, since these days almost ALL 870's are Magnum guns.
Old October 13, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
wakeboarder141

Thanks for that explanation. Mine has the newer style spring retainer with the teeth. The green plastic thing I was talking about was that dowel and after removing it now holds 4+1. Thanks for all the help.