The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2017, 03:51 PM   #26
Husqvarna

Quote:
I've been curious about trying my .50 cal muzzleloader with a light powder charge. Many old timers do this with even larger patched balls too. Seems kinda ridiculous but I don't guess it's worth trying anyway. Sure would take the head off rather cleanly I'd guess.
wasn't the practise in ye olde days to shoot your muzzleloader at the tree next to the squirrel? and the shrapnel from the tree got the squirrel?
Old September 25, 2017, 06:55 PM   #27
rodwhaincamo

Barking. Some do this and some just take the head off.
Old September 26, 2017, 12:17 AM   #28
the possum

Green Lantern-
You've got me curious, so I'll have to take another look at the regulations. But I've never heard that. There's a long tradition of using shotguns for squirrel, and I don't recall any prohibition on centerfires. Sometimes certain public hunting areas are more strict, but private land is a different story.

One time I scalped a squirrel with a deer slug, on purpose. I lined up the shot so the bottom of the slug just grazed the top of its head.
Old September 26, 2017, 04:25 PM   #29
jrothWA

Simple, BOTH...

depending on conditions.
Prefer a 16 ga, using #5 shot, or .22LR m77/22 or Marlin 60, sighted in for 25yds., max range is 32 yds. good enoughnfor head shots, close -up.
using CCI standard 40 solids. Most shots are in to tree trunks, some in to air try to be 80 degrees or mmore vertical.