The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 24, 2017, 01:16 PM   #1
gilfo

Selling off collection due to illness

Well got some news today that I am sure no one here on the boards would ever what to get. I was just diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer which has spread to 3 spots on my brain. I have just completed radiation treatment and it has taken some toll on my body as far. Tired all the time and not much energy. This brings me to my question for all my friends on the site. I now have to task of selling off my small gun collection to get as much money as I can to leave for my wife. I hope not to get into the position of “giving away the guns for any money I can get but to get a fair price for each for the family. I am asking for any advise as to how to sell the inventory to maximize it’s worth and would welcome any suggestions as to how would be the best way to sell them off. I would also like to sell the assorted magazines and quite of bit of ammo I had been accumulating for the coming problems I see out nation facing. I have weapons that I have not even fired for lack of time as well as weapons that I have all being in like new condition with original boxes and paper work.
So again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to making the task before me a bit easier since I really don’t know how much time God has allotted me on this earth before he calls me home.

Thanks gilfo
Old April 24, 2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Jfaz1911

Hi gilfo, I don't know you but I am sending prayers your way and sincerely hoping for the best for you and your family.
Old April 24, 2017, 01:30 PM   #3
FITASC

Sorry to hear about your illness.
Checking prices on various auction sites (closed auctions) and general for sale sites like www.gunsinternational.com will give you a good idea as to asking prices. Make your list and post here and on similar websites where there is no fee for posting. Also, post your list at any local gun clubs in your area - most have a bulletin board for such things - again, no fee for that.

Those will give you the max amount possible.

Otherwise make a good detailed list for your family of values and such in case things get worse before you sell them so they have a real good idea what to sell them for afterwards.

Good luck..............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 24, 2017, 01:36 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

gilfo I am so sorry to hear about this.
We lost a friend of the family under these same circumstances.. lung cancer that migrated to the brain.

I would think selling individually privately would be the best way to get the highest amount.

You could also try having a fundraiser / raffle, That could potentially yield much more then the guns are worth normally.

Do not give up, Things may seem bleak but remember you are still alive!
Where there is life there is hope.
Old April 24, 2017, 02:34 PM   #5
papa shooter

gilfo

All I can say is my prayers are with you and your family!
Post what you have here as far as firearms and accessories.
I'm sure the members will be more than generous!

Tim
Old April 24, 2017, 04:44 PM   #6
superspirit

Sorry to hear such bad news! Will put you on the prayer list. as others said post them up. you'll get more selling them individually.
Old April 24, 2017, 04:51 PM   #7
THEWELSHM

Dear Lord, may you wrap your arms around this man and his family at this time Amen

thewelshm
Old April 24, 2017, 07:09 PM   #8
BradS

Gilfo,Keeping you and yours in my prayers
Old April 24, 2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Jiggy300

Thoughts and prayers your way.

When my father passed a year and a half ago, my mother held a auction cause he had a lot of stuff ranging from farm equipment to sporting supplies to just stuff he would board. He had a nice gun collection and I told the auctioneer that I wasent going to let some of the nicer guns go for half what there worth and he told me to bid on them and if I won the bid he would scratch it from the auction and I wouldn't have to pay. I had to bid on a few of them but once they got to the right price I stopped and they got sold anyways. Not sure if you have enough for a auction but that may be a way also. Prayers again.
Old April 24, 2017, 07:12 PM   #10
TXAZ

May God bless and keep you and your family.
Would you mind sharing your general location?
There may be a member nearby that could help.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 24, 2017, 08:05 PM   #11
Bayou

Prayers that the shadow of the Lord's healing hand pass upon you and deliver you strength...

And for all those similarly situated...

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old April 24, 2017, 08:18 PM   #12
tazbigdog

Wow, such devastating news. My heart goes out to you, your wife, family, and friends. Having lost great friends to this, I feel for you. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.
Old April 24, 2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Tinbucket

selling off collection due to illness

Prayer on its way.
If close , I would be willing to assist. If a Member of American legion or DAV, if like ours there would be some willing to help.
It is hard to recommend any solution fro so far away.
Family Members, a Brother or whoever is first that would come to my mind.
Old April 24, 2017, 11:59 PM   #14
armoredman

Prayers sent, sir.
Old April 25, 2017, 10:44 AM   #15
Pahoo

Looks lilke we have a Prayer-Chain !!!

Our prayers go with you and your family and the day is coming when all of us will have to face this part of our lives. I have had to assist the wives of gun-buddies with this problem. Here is what I would suggest;

1) If you haven't already done so, catalog what you have. List what you paid for them and current value. This would be good information that will be of great help for your wife.

2) If possible, establish a trusted dealer or auctioneer that will assist you. Currently I have both.

3) If you have any that are designated for family members, list then in your will. Hopefully, this would eliminate and family disputes and they can get ugly.

4) Try to sell what you can but as you noted, don't give them away unless it' your choice. ...

I will say a "Power-Prayer, for you and your family, tonight and;

Be Safe !!!
Old April 25, 2017, 11:26 AM   #16
9ballbilly

Know that you and your family will be in my prayers.
Old April 26, 2017, 07:55 AM   #17
Hunter2678

Prayers for you and your wife....
Old April 26, 2017, 08:16 AM   #18
Doyle

You have my sorrow for your illness. Do you have any close relative or good friend who is into guns? Such a person who would be willing to do the leg work for you would greatly help.
Old April 26, 2017, 10:18 AM   #19
mcb66

Depending on your location a local auction house should consign them. The local auction I use charges 10% plus a $5.00 online listing fee. I have had good luck with them. They use Proxibid and in house bids. The greater of the two gets the item. No complaints from me. Usually my items bring blue book or better. You get national exposure and don't have to mess with shipping, regulations, etc...
Old April 28, 2017, 10:22 AM   #20
smee78

I would use Gunbroker or some other big online website. It will give you the most exposure and able you to set a reserve or starting price for your items.
Sorry to hear of your condition, prayers sent.
Old April 29, 2017, 05:43 PM   #21
J A

Sorry to hear

Sorry to hear of your medical travails. Prayers out to you and your family.
There is a seller on GunBroker that goes by the handle of "Locust Fork" that is first rate at selling personal collections. Not sure where you are located but I think she is in GA. I would trust her with my collection when my time comes.
I am not related or connected to her in any way. Just know her reputation by reading the forums at GB. JA
Old April 30, 2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your illness. For whatever path it takes, may it go as smoothly as possible.

However, this is more of a discussion on how to properly liquidate your collection, and I'm going to move it up to General Discussions, where I think it will get more action.

Best of luck.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:25 PM   #23
shootniron

gilfo...I am truly sorry to hear of your situation. I have already sent a prayer for you and your family and I will add you all to my prayer list.

Sorry, I really don't have a suggestion to help with your liquidating your collection

GOD bless you and your family.
Old May 1, 2017, 05:05 PM   #24
jumpingeezer

Sir,
I have picked up many a nice firearm at estate sales at a fraction of their real value. You don't want this to happen to your collection.

Please review Pahoo's post and act on it.

My prayers are with you.
Old May 1, 2017, 05:28 PM   #25
Rothdel

Another Thought

Sorry to hear about this.

Just another thought from personal experience. My grandfather went through a similar situation and had the same initial reaction of needing to raise money for his family. He immediately began selling off treasured possessions. Luckily for us a good friend of his stopped him and got him some assistance through the community and church and while he did end up selling off some things he was able to pass down the important items to his family many years later.

My absolute favorite gun is an old .22 i used to shoot with my grandfather. Its not the best shooter in the world and it sure isnt the prettiest thing in my safe you better believe it will be the last thing in my safe.

Given the sheer number of go fund me websites and the amount of support and generosity the firearm community is willing to offer I would strongly suggest you look at that route.

A lot of us can spare $1-2 with out a second thought and knowing that my donation would help save a keepsake for your family i would be the first in line.
Closed Thread