The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2014, 11:50 PM   #1
DryFire45

Digital scales

Who uses digital scales and can recommend a reliable one? My balance beam works fine but ive been considering getting a digital scale because well I just want one. Id like one that doesn't kill my wallet and if possible easy to find locally. I noticed the one mentioned in another thread but would still appreciate others insight. Thanks a bunch.
Old November 11, 2014, 12:24 AM   #2
BumbleBug

Here is my philosophy.

1) Use a balance scale to add product to achieve a desired weight - like powder.
2) Use a digital scale to find out what something weighs - like a bullet.

Yes, the two jobs can be handled by either, but the two statements above are the best fit. I think most hardcore handloaders eventually have both on their bench. The small digital scales are cheap enough & very useful, but the balance scale is indispensable.

JIMHO...

...bug
Old November 11, 2014, 12:47 AM   #3
DryFire45

My Lee balance beam works fine just for some reason I dont really care for it. It loses zero real easy and the finicky poises are kind of a pain too.
Old November 11, 2014, 12:55 AM   #4
10-96

I've got two friends who've gone over to the digital side and one who's thinking about it awfully hard. Maybe they're the greatest things since sliced bread- but I just can't convince myself they are truly as fast and as reliable and beams. And that, I guess, comes down to just pure gut feelings. If you got the itch for one and have the trust- I suppose that's the rig for you.

Sorry I don't have much of a helpful insight on which models for you to research. But I did notice you asked for insight. Good luck.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 11, 2014, 03:59 AM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
Who uses digital scales and can recommend a reliable one?
Quote:
Id like one that doesn't kill my wallet and if possible easy to find locally.
A reliable one? Well that limits you to RCBS, Pact and Hornady. As to killing your wallet, It will but only once, consider it a investment in your safety and they last for many, many years. Mine has cost me about $28.50 per year so far and it is still going strong. Yes, I paid about $265.00 for a RCBS LoadMaster 1500 (Midway USA on my birthday with a discount), but that was with the powder dispenser as well as the scale. (Cheaper if you purchase the scale only.)

There is nothing wrong with a balance beam scale and trickle charger that a digital will provide. A bit slower, yes, but time is not a factor or we would be buying our ammo off the shelf and not producing it ourselves. Some of us take pride in the quality of the ammo we produce.

So bite the bullet (pun intended) and save up the cash and look into one of the above mentioned brands. (It only hirts once)

Jim

You will note the balance beam scale next to the digital. And both are very accurate.

Last edited by Jim243; November 11, 2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old November 11, 2014, 04:03 AM   #6
nemesiss45

My digital is as fast as my balance, but less cumbersome to work with. I do, however, double check it frequently on the balance because i can see if the zero is off on the balance, but cannot see if the digital is drifting. I think both are a great tool to have if you use them right, but a balance is indispensable.
Old November 11, 2014, 05:39 AM   #7
1stmar

Nemesis when my digital drifts I notice it when I remove the pan. After calibration and zero, removing the pan results in a -150.10 reading. (If I recall correctly). Essentially the weight of the pan. If when removing the pan I see the reading at -150.09 I know it has drifted.
Old November 11, 2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Getting back into reloading I notice these old eyes are a little fuzzy with lining up the tiny marks on my RCBS balance beam scale. I bought a Franklin Arsenal electronic scale from Midway USA. I haven't loaded a lot with it, maybe a couple hundred 357, and 44 mag, and 60 6MM Remington. It seems to work well for me. I check it's calibration often, and it stays thru to my test weights.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 11, 2014, 10:12 AM   #9
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar View Post
Nemesis when my digital drifts I notice it when I remove the pan. After calibration and zero, removing the pan results in a -150.10 reading. (If I recall correctly). Essentially the weight of the pan. If when removing the pan I see the reading at -150.09 I know it has drifted.
I use the same technique and I tare often to re-zero.

As I mentioned elsewhere, anything digital will vary +/-lsb(least significant bit ). +/- 1mg, or +/- 0.015gr, is normal. I only worry about when I see more than that, say +/- 0.04gr. Beam balance has variations too, you just can't see it.

-TL
Old November 11, 2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Bart B.

I don't think most rifles will show any significant difference in accuracy across a 4% spread in powder charge weight about a given charge weight that seems to do very well. The most accurate rifles and loads do their stuff with metered charges direct from a decent powder measure. Weighing charges from such devices will shock the observers as most won't understand why their 3/10ths grain spread produces 1/4 MOA or smaller groups at shorter ranges. But it's comforting knowing one component measurement of your shooting system has zero spread in the property you can easily observe.

A 3/10ths spread in charge weight rarely, if ever, shows any difference in accuracy compared to a 1/10th or even zero spread when shooting 300 yards or less. Rifle shot held against ones shoulder will cause a greater shot dispersion than when fired in repeatable free recoil. We don't hold them very repeatably.

Don't waste your time and resources trying "exact" everything. You and your stuff has too many variables you cannot minimize enough to make it worthwhile.
Old November 11, 2014, 11:14 AM   #11
zach_

please buy a quality scale

I do not reload or handload, what ever you want to call it. Reloaders, please purchase a high quality scale. The safety of yourself, and those shooting next to you are at risk. Is it my imagination, or is there not sets of weights available as a way to test a scale. I would think it would be a required accessory in any reloading scale or kit.
Old November 11, 2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Jim243

Tips for using a digital OR balance beam scale:

1. First, make sure you are using a level surface (bench or shelf) that the scale will rest on.

2. Second, make sure the surface the scale rests on is stable and does not rock back and forth.

3. Third, place your scale on a surface OTHER than your reloading bench so that when you activate the press the scale is not bouncing around while decaping, full length resizing or crimping.

4. Fourth, when using a digital scale that has a power supply that plugs into the wall, you give the scale 30 to 60 min to warm up. (it needs to heat up the sensor to avoid drift)

5. Fifth, if you live near a high traffic commercial vehicle area, measure your powder when traffic is at it's lowest level to avoid ground shake.

6. Sixth, get a set of "check" weights and check your scale when you start and every 30 min to insure it is working properly.

7. Seventh, for wall plugged in scales, check your wall outlet to make sure you do not have voltage spikes and clean powder for the scale.

The earth is going to shake, that is just a fact of life and unless you are willing to spend big bucks for a dampened lab scale ($600 and up) you can expect some variation in your scale readings. Most scales have a set of springs built into them to DAMPEN any shakes or bumps, the type we use for reloading do NOT.

Some balance beam scales use magnets to dampen the arm and some do not, most reloading digital scales rely on you to place them in a stable environment to avoid small changes otherwise we would not be able to afford them.

Stay safe and avoid earth quakes. (Yes the earth moves every second of every day)
Jim
Old November 11, 2014, 11:40 AM   #13
rg1

Wouldn't load without a digital scale. I have a RCBS balance beam in a drawer for backup. I've had a Pact Precision scale since about 1994 when Pact first introduced electronic scales to the reloading market and that same scale is still in use today after 20 years. It's been a good one. With any electronic scale or even a balance beam scale I highly recommend a scale check-weight set to verify a scales accuracy and to give you confidence it's weighing accurately. I have a Lyman set. Easily weigh and sort bullets, cases, or even loaded rounds. They are delicate and require consistent 120 volt sources, consistent temperatures, and no electrical interference. No vibration and I'd recommend the scale not on your bench top but on a separate sturdy surface. I've only had experience with the one Pact scale and Pact does make some units for other companies. Just read reviews from RCBS, Pact, Lyman, Hornady, or Dillon and make a choice. Expect to pay around $150 for a scale or more for a model that dispenses powder charges Some highly recommend the Gempro 250 precision scale. For curiosity I just bought one to add to my equipment. Only complaint so far is the display is flat and you have to be above the scale to read the display. Doesn't fit well with my bench and me sitting to reload but it is so far very accurate and steady. Will after some use find out more. Just started thinking my 20 year old Pact might need a backup. You'll be asking yourself why you didn't go digital a long time ago. Just my opinion.
Old November 11, 2014, 01:11 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
I don't think most rifles will show any significant difference in accuracy across a 4% spread in powder charge weight about a given charge weight that seems to do very well. The most accurate rifles and loads do their stuff with metered charges direct from a decent powder measure. Weighing charges from such devices will shock the observers as most won't understand why their 3/10ths grain spread produces 1/4 MOA or smaller groups at shorter ranges. But it's comforting knowing one component measurement of your shooting system has zero spread in the property you can easily observe.

A 3/10ths spread in charge weight rarely, if ever, shows any difference in accuracy compared to a 1/10th or even zero spread when shooting 300 yards or less. Rifle shot held against ones shoulder will cause a greater shot dispersion than when fired in repeatable free recoil. We don't hold them very repeatably.

Don't waste your time and resources trying "exact" everything. You and your stuff has too many variables you cannot minimize enough to make it worthwhile.
I agree with Bart on this one. People claim 0.1gr off a rifle load of 50gr would make noticeable difference in accuracy. But that's 0.2% variation. Simply don't buy it.

I have been hand loading with digital scale with +/- 0.2gr resolution. Doing just fine even for pistol loads. Well, my loads are nowhere near Max.

Dangerous loads are unlikely caused by scale errors, but rather by gross mistake, such as wrong powder or double charge.

I'm not trying to pull anyone from their beam balance. I like beam balance and would have had one if I have room to store it. But I do believe digitals are equally good, or at least good enough.

-TL
Old November 11, 2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Sevens

To the subject in the original post, it's my position that an electronic scale is basically just a unit that hasn't broken yet or acted up yet, regardless of the amount of money you spend on it. I love technology, but I don't like it for measuring powder. I do like BumbleBug's post, a digital is great for weighing things, especially when you need to weigh a slew of them.

Now, you said:
Quote:
My Lee balance beam works fine just for some reason I dont really care for it. It loses zero real easy and the finicky poises are kind of a pain too.
I have argued in the past that for those on an extremely tight budget, the Lee Safety Scale is a fine item because it's VERY accurate and well built and ridiculously low in cost. Hooray to Lee for giving even the most low-budget guy out there no excuse for not having a scale.

HOWEVER
They are extremely tedious to use and for some who haven't figured them out, they are difficult to use properly. I still have mine, I never use it, but I know that it's there if I need it and I know it works.

In your position, my suggestion would be to buy a proper, decent, quality beam scale. RCBS, Lyman or Ohaus. I happen to use a Dillon Eliminator, made by Ohaus. It works 100% right, 100% of the time, and I love it. I wouldn't trade this scale for a $300 digital scale.
Old November 11, 2014, 03:26 PM   #16
wogpotter

I've had my PACT Model 1 for almost 20 years.
Its accurate, dependable, repeatable & runs on a 9v "radio" battery so its free from most a/c line ripples.

I don't know what else to say it does everything my balance beam did quicker & with less fuss. All I do is power up, set up, zero & calibrate then measure away.

Photo is (c) wogpotter 2013

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 11, 2014, 03:30 PM   #17
wachtelhund1

I now reload with a Sartorius AY-123 milligram digital scale. With my old eyes I find it much quicker than a balance bean which I used for 40+ years.
Old November 11, 2014, 06:40 PM   #18
DryFire45

I ended up buying a Hornady scale today with check weights. I tested it when I got home in succession with my Lee beam scale and to somewhat of a surprise they read almost identically on every charge that I weighed. The difference was so small im not even sure there was one. Im not planning on using it solely by itself but more so paired with one another to check charge readings from each measuring device. At the moment I only load handgun really wanted it for the ease of checking charge weights as im loading.

Last edited by DryFire45; November 12, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old November 16, 2014, 04:23 PM   #19
rebs

I am considering going back to my Lyman balance beam scale. I find it very accurate. I have a Frankford Arsenal digital scale from Midway which I paid 19.99 for and it is accurate to 1 or 2 tenths. I never know for sure when it is off. My Lyman is right on all the time and I load just as fast and more confident with the beam scale.
Old November 16, 2014, 08:41 PM   #20
10 Spot Terminator

I use the RCBS 750 and agree with the tips posted by Jim243 and would add this . Dont unplug it but leave it plugged in 24/7 as it will go to sleep just like a computer and will not need that long warm up period and risk needing to be recalibrated . Over nearly 5 years of using mine I got tired of checking the weights given on my 750 with my 5-0-5 beam scale .

As for my technique to speed up the powder dispensing process as this is just a scale with no preset weights or a drop tube I do this ....

I use the Lee powder dippers and use the one which closests equals my target weight without going over and then use a powder trickler to bring up the final weight . This is as fast as a programable unit and far less costly . Short of a couple power failures over the past 5 years I have not had to recalibrate it .
Old November 16, 2014, 11:28 PM   #21
RC20

Quote:
The reality is if you have weighed your pane (per above) you have an automatic calibration check when you put said pan on the scale.

You hit the tare to zero the pan out so only powder shows.

When you lift the pan, the pan weight shows up as a negative number. .;

If it drifts (different number when you lift the pan) , re-tare and make sure its the same negative number by lifting the pan again (on the way to the next powder charge)

It works, works extremely well and if you try it, its simple.

and yes i do occasionally cross check to the beam but the more I use it the less I do it.

If you like the beam that is great, for most, used right the digital is much quicker and as reliable (maybe more so) and as noted, you can weigh a whole bunch of things with it as it automatically tells you weighs, you don't have to slide scales or dial number up and down the beam unit.

Currently I have the low cost Franfuth and its worked fine. It does drift but a snap to re-tare (zero_) and keep on loading.
Old November 17, 2014, 02:33 AM   #22
33GURK

My 30+ year old RCBS 5-10 is still puttering right along just fine.
Old November 17, 2014, 09:15 PM   #23
blackhawk8

I have the RCBS Loadmaster 1500 and truly love it.
Old November 18, 2014, 08:01 AM   #24
rebs

I just can't seem to justify paying out $300.00 for an rcbs powder measure and scale. Over the last two days I have loaded using my Lyman balance beam and found out again why I liked it before I got the digital itch. For me it is back to the Lyman balance beam scale.
Old November 18, 2014, 05:50 PM   #25
1stmar

You can get the hornady for less then $180