The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
lefkosia

Browning Buckmark

I have a Browning Buckmark with 10 inch bull barrel, beautiful wood grips, Beamshot laser and a Leupold scope. This pistol does not have one scratch on it and I am needing to determine the value with the scope and laser. Thanks in advance.

Browning.jpg

Last edited by lefkosia; April 4, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
stephen426

The gun alone is probably worth $650 - $700 easily. The scope and mounts may fetch another $100. The laser might get you $50 if you're lucky. I have a standard Buckmark 5.5" that I put a full bull barrel on and mounted a Buckmark reticle sight on. They are great guns and prices have climbed significantly since they came out.

I imagine you've ruined the day for many squirrels with that thing. If you're not in a financial bind, you should keep it. It is a grat gun!
Old April 4, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I sold three Buckmarks with wood grips last year, all target/silhouette models. I can tell you for a fact that if you hold out for 650-700 you'll own them until you die of old age. Asking and selling prices are not the same. They simply don't sell for those prices. However, you can ask anything you want.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
mxsailor803

I'm actually in the market for a Buckmark right now but i'm not paying 650-700 for a used .22lr pistol. But thats just me.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
lefkosia

Please keep the comments coming as I am on the fence with this gun.

This gun was my fathers and he has passed so I would love to keep it. However, all my guns are shooters not case guns and this thing is so heavy I can't shoot it well from standing. Very accurate from a rest. Excuse my ignorance here but I could be holding it wrong and that may be the problem. My grip has been a tradtional one where I hold it with a two handed grip. Should I be holding the barrel with my weak hand? I have seen them with added furniture like a rifle.

The other thing is that it seems I must remove the scope to clean which requires that I resight the scope. Am I missing something here?

I always clean my guns after shooting but my buddies tell me this isn't necessary. What do you all think?
Old April 4, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

If you have the ten inch bull barrel doesn't it have the weaver rail mounted on top of the barrel? All of mine did. If so, there's not reason to remove the sight to clean the gun. Post a pic of the gun if you can. I never cleaned mine each time I shot them and I shot them a lot. Over a ten year period I shot somewhere between 250,000 and 300,000 rounds out of the three guns. I only ever replace some minor parts with all of that shooting. I shot silhouette and Sportsman's Team Challenge with those Buckmarks and they are, by far, the most accurate production guns ever produced. Unless you have some pressing reason to get rid of it, I think you're making a huge mistake in doing so. When I was shooting silhouette I shot lots and lots of perfect scores with those guns. I won seven state championships and two regional championships with those guns. If I were you, I'd spend some more time learning to shoot it instead of getting rid of it. There were a lot of them made in the ten inch configuration so they aren't rare.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7
lefkosia

NoSecondBest

I have posted a pic in the intial posting please check it out. Not very knowledgeable on rails and scopes etc so.......

I have decided not to sell it after all it was my father's pistol, it is the only .22 pistol I have and according to poplular opinion it is a good one. Pretty good looking too in my opinion.

I have shot DE's and a lot of heavy pistols with no problem however they did not have a scope and I think that is what is giving me a problem. Holding it out front with no rest and trying to hold it steady and find my line of sight is where I am struggling. Hmmmm...maybe I need to try and move the scope forward or back. Does that sound right?
Old April 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

700? ha.

New guns are low 400s. Put a new barrel-100.

700 used? why?
Old April 4, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

I see where you'd have to take the scope off simply because you can't get at the screws holding the rail onto the barrel...no access. If you had quick release mounts on the scope you could leave the scope in the rings and simply put the scope back on. These type of quick release rings usually (almost always) keep the same poi when put on and taken off. Just FYI..how accurate is the Buckmark? In 1991 at the Regional Silhouette Championship I shot 9x10 rifle silhouette chickens at a shootoff at 100yds with open sights. Those targets were around 1.0" in size. Keep the gun.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:51 AM   #10
DaleA

The Buckmark is without a doubt a quality firearm. With the history of it being your father's gun I'd keep it even if I didn't shoot it so I could pass it on to my kids.

Plus, IMhO it looks like a very 'interesting' setup you've got there. It might not be the way I would set up a .22 pistol but I still respect what he did and would have a lot of fun trying it out.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Dashunde

Wow.. and I thought my 7.5" Hunter with a Burris Fastfire was front heavy!
They're both pretty much bench rest guns and there is no easy way to shoot them standing up for any real duration.
It also gets hot in the summer if I use my left hand for support under the barrel.

Tearing it down regularly for cleaning isn't really necessary, maybe every 2000 rounds or so. Just keep the bore clean and whatever else you can get to with brushes, Q-tips, etc... particularly the breach face.

I'd consider yours to be somewhat rare and highly desirable by more than a few folks at the right price.
Truth is a guy almost doesn't need a 22lr rifle with that Buckmark around.

I probably wouldn't let mine go for a penny less than $800 with the Burris, but thats just what its worth to me, realistically its probably in the $650 range.

This 10" hasn't sold at $750
This 10" with a scope hasn't sold at $900 either
Old April 5, 2013, 03:05 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

wow.

It's as if people don't realize you can buy any sized bm barrels for $85
Old April 6, 2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Big Steve

I just bought a buckmark 10 bull barrel. No sights just 1 long rail off Armslist 1 month ago here in St Louis. Bought it unfired for $400. To be honest it is the best $400 I have ever spent. I could not see any wear on anything. It was on Armslist for 3 weeks before I bought it.
Old April 6, 2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Tortuga12

Why not just buy a shorter barrel, and keep the long one in the safe?