The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2013, 11:45 AM   #76
carguychris

Quote:
It appears as though Garands will become illegal, forcing their sale out of state or confiscation by the State.
I believe that Garands should be exempt because they "CANNOT ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE THAT HOLDS MORE THAN FIVE ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION" [S.37.22(G)(II)]

It appears from reading the law that Garand 8rd clips may be exempt due to potential Curio & Relic status. HOWEVER... this is a big "if" because the NY law defines certain "ammunition feeding devices" as Curios & Relics rather than firearms! The NY definition seems to rely solely on the 50-year-old rule- there's no apparent provision for military, historically significant, and/or specifically listed ammunition feeding devices, nor any exemptions from the NFA. Furthermore, the ammunition feeding device is only exempt if it cannot be used in a newer firearm AND is registered!

How are you supposed to prove that a non-serialized 8rd clip is over 50 years old and then register it?

Last edited by carguychris; January 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:50 AM   #77
Venom1956

I personally believe gun manufacturers could have the biggest impact on legislation like this.

"Civilians can't own em? Fine then NO ONE can."

Instead of modifying their weapons to qualify they need to refuse to sell their pistols, rifles, mags at all. Wait until local residents hear about that? Imagine what the PDs would do when they cannot purchase ARs or 30 round mags for their patrol cars or SWAT, enjoy those 7 rounders guys! Much like Barrett did. Now I know that it would require ALOT of companies to cooperate, I realize it would hurt the gun companies profits but IMO, if gun companies keep submitting to all these demands then they are just slowing allowing anti-gunners to take their consumer base and industry apart little by little.

Now I know a lot of you would disagree with this method but I really think something like this is NEEDED by the gun industry, this would really wake people up.

I'm sure the antis would be thrilled until the backlash came. How many people would move? How many PDs would complain when they require new weapons or mags? so on and so forth.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #78
Strafer Gott

Anybody see an exclusion for tube feed or rimfire? These are usual and customary if you live in Cali. Even my trapper 94 holds more than seven.
Makes me wonder if Henry is next.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:56 AM   #79
HarrySchell

Clearly this makes the "doing something about crime" a lie. 769 firearm murders in 2011, 5 with long guns.

Cuomo's rallying cry about not needing a 10-round magazine to shoot deer, under other circumstances, would be hilarious for his ignorance of his state's law in that regard. As it is, it exemplifies that this is an agenda, not a mildly rational process or attempt to deal with a problem.

It is an insult to those who died at Sandy Hook, that their blood should be used to enable rank behavior such as this.

I understand some Republicans went along with this. The "go along to get along" posture simply ensures evisceration later, so that the Rep party becomes an afterthought. This is a lesson the CA Rep establishment still doesn't get.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:00 PM   #80
Alabama Shooter

Alabama would welcome Remington with open arms. Lots of skilled labor down here too. Right to work state. Win all around.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:00 PM   #81
E.J.W.

To all,
Below is an excerpt form a local news channel on the New York law. Check out the part about having one year to sell your 10 round mags!
I'm sorry I still live here after turning down a chance to move a year ago.
I wonder if the Governor will create a mag swap/buyback program? Probably not as it will be easier to send the troopers to search the house.

The New York gun control provisions passed by the Senate late Monday and being considered by the Assembly on Tuesday cover several fronts.

Gov. Here's What's In The Plan:

-Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features spelled out in the law. The proposal would reduce that to one feature and include the popular pistol grip.

-Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

-Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

-Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

-Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

-Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

-Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

-Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

-Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property. The "Webster provision" would increase penalties for shooting first responders. Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

-Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

-Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:02 PM   #82
southjk

Sad day for New York. Sorry to everyone that lives there.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:05 PM   #83
Ben Towe

Has it actually passed the NY Senate and House or is it still in limbo?

Edit: I just read that it has.

Last edited by Ben Towe; January 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:06 PM   #84
win-lose

More telegraphing of the progressive agenda....

Please note, the below is not meant to distract for the details of this terrible law... it's just an observation after reading through some it.

Quote:
promoting a fair, consistent and efficient method of ensuring that
sportsmen and other legal gun owners have full enjoyment of the guns to which they are entitled.
Glad to see that they are preserving my right to "play" with firearms. Gonna be hard to argue my need to play over societies need to be safe, no?

Quote:
A single standard across the State will ensure that legal gun owners obtain their licenses expeditiously while those prohibited are denied that privilege
It is now privilege to receive a license in NY???

Last edited by win-lose; January 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:06 PM   #85
Patriot86

@ Ben and NJ: I looked up their ages and posted this on another gun forum the other day.

The 5 that votes in favor of Heller and McDonald

John Robers: Age 57 (Safe)
Sam Alito: Age 62 (Safe)
Antonin Scalia: Age 76 (Getting a little old...)
Anthony Kenedy: Age 76 (again getting kind of old)
Clearence Thomas: Age 64 (Safe).

Mind you, add as many as 4 years to those ages before Obama is out of office. We have two justices who will be 80, one in late 60's, one in mid 60's and one early 60's.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:19 PM   #86
SonOfLiberty

Not to interrupt the discussion, but I hate seeing "Ambitious" in the title to this thread. "Reckless" might be a more suitable replacement. I understand the sarcasm, but it just irks me. I feel like this type of legislation/politics should be called what it is directly, without room for inference to the contrary.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Dr Big Bird PhD

I am too disgusted to talk about this.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #88
Jamie B

Quote:
Worse than I could have imagined. I'll never set foot in that state. Won't give them a single tourist dollar.
I was born there, and have not been back since 1968.

I will not return until there is reciprocity with my OH permit, which means never at this rate.

I am stunned that it seems that GOP state legislature caved in agreement on this.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:39 PM   #89
Ben Towe

Quote:
I am stunned that it seems that GOP state legislature caved in agreement on this.
Not to get too political, but it seems the GOP has a Senate majority in NY (which surprised me). You might want to give that some thought.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:43 PM   #90
NJgunowner

Quote:
@ Ben and NJ: I looked up their ages and posted this on another gun forum the other day.

The 5 that votes in favor of Heller and McDonald

John Robers: Age 57 (Safe)
Sam Alito: Age 62 (Safe)
Antonin Scalia: Age 76 (Getting a little old...)
Anthony Kenedy: Age 76 (again getting kind of old)
Clearence Thomas: Age 64 (Safe).

Mind you, add as many as 4 years to those ages before Obama is out of office. We have two justices who will be 80, one in late 60's, one in mid 60's and one early 60's.
Yep, and the average life expectancy in the U.S. for a male is 75.35. They... WE are on borrowed time for 2 of those.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #91
JimDandy

Its important to remember that while party affiliation will make you right more often than not when guessing someone's gun policy, it's not effective enough to assume. WA state is shall issue, A three county Seattle Metropolitian area wags the blue tail on the red dog around here, but we have a lot of ranges and gun shops. In other words, Washington has a lot of Democrats in charge around here, but is fairly gun-friendly.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #92
JimDandy

They have better than average health care. Not REALLY big, but enough to throw them out of "average"
Old January 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #93
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I sent the following to Senator Libous, with whom I have had multiple previous interactions.

Senator Libous,

Having contacted you several times previously and from your historical and recent votes, I know where you stand on the current crop of gun control bills.

I'm writing to ask that you specifically forward a message from me to your democratic or republican colleagues who might vote in favor of these pointless, ineffective new burdens on law-abiding citizens.

My message is this;
I am a small-business owner with two locations and about 10 employees. I have been struggling under the burden of NY taxes and the Obama economy now for 4+ years, barely able to pay bills. I am also an avid hunter and gun owner. If the new proposed gun control laws go into effect, I will be leaving this state at the earliest opportunity. This is not an idle threat. There is nothing keeping me here any longer. The democratic controlled economy is stifling nationwide but there are better places that still believe in some semblance of freedom. I have already made the first steps to sell/liquidate all business assets and will continue the process to divest all assets in this state and move to a better place.

This state, and I fear the nation, on the matters of liberty, morality and finances, is now on a path to insolvency and I fear it is too late for corrections.

Sadly, rather than making course corrections, the political machine, lead by the democratic party, is bent on driving us into disaster faster and more efficiently.

This new crop of "gun control" measures is just more of the same. It will not stop violence. It will only serve to further degrade the liberty of law-abiding citizens. It is shameful.

I am proud of the history of NY State and this great nation but the current condition of both is an embarrassment.

Disgusted,

Brian Pfleuger
Old January 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #94
tulsamal

Quote:
In other words, Washington has a lot of Democrats in charge around here, but is fairly gun-friendly.
Yes, it is important to know what state they are from. An Oklahoma Democrat would be considered too far to the right to be elected as a Republican in NY. That doesn't stop us from mostly electing Republicans down here but I don't worry much about our Democrats!

Gregg
Old January 15, 2013, 01:08 PM   #95
Jamie B

Nice letter, Peetza!
/Respect!
Old January 15, 2013, 01:09 PM   #96
Jamie B

Quote:
Its important to remember that while party affiliation will make you right more often than not when guessing someone's gun policy, it's not effective enough to assume. WA state is shall issue, A three county Seattle Metropolitian area wags the blue tail on the red dog around here, but we have a lot of ranges and gun shops. In other words, Washington has a lot of Democrats in charge around here, but is fairly gun-friendly.
Never seen that before - well done!
Old January 15, 2013, 01:11 PM   #97
spacecoast

Quote:
I sent the following to Senator Libous, with whom I have had multiple previous interactions.

Senator Libous,...

Good note, Brian. Maybe if enough (hundreds/thousands?) individuals like yourself take these steps, it will make a difference, but it appears that you and those like you may have to carry through on those actions to get it through the thick skulls at the statehouse.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #98
Alabama Shooter

You have to be careful. When you tell the eatery that you "are never eating here again" they no longer care about you becuase they already lost you as a customer.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #99
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island. "And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered.
Ah, so New Yorkers are being spared the indignity of outright confiscation in favor of a simple ban.

And that's "well-balanced?"

There are those among us who say, "oh, what's wrong with a little compromise? We'll give 'em expanded background checks in exchange for leaving other stuff alone."

I hope those who are amenable to compromise look at this situation very carefully, because this is what happens when we give the slightest ground.

Regarding the relative ages of the Justices, nobody has talked about stepping down any time soon. Given that this law flies directly in the face of Heller, they may choose to fast-track any lawsuit challenging it.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #100
Hal

Quote:
This would almost certainly be outside the Scope of Practice of an RN and a social worker would be completely unqualified.
I agree - but - so what?
It doesn't matter if it is or isn't and it doesn't matter if a social worker is qualified or not.