The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1
HamsterHamster

Building a Buckmark .22lr

With all the aftermarket parts available for the Buckmark, I am tempted to built my own custom buckmark as a range gun for plinking fun.

Since I don;t own one at the moment, I was just wondering if it was true that all variation of Buckmarks are built on the same receiver and slide, so customizing of barrel and grips can be done on the lowers option (cheapest) Buckmark I can find.

Also do you think Buckmark is a worthy successor for a Colt Woodsman?
Old September 10, 2012, 02:09 PM   #2
BigJimP

I do know that the Tactical Solutions ...barrels, grips, etc will fit virtually any model of the Buckmark ...so camper model, etc...

Buckmark a replacement for Colt Woodsman...?? maybe, maybe not ...Colt Woodsman was one of the iconic guns of its time.../ like the S&W model 41's...Woodsman's were made from 1915 - 1977 I believe...and went thru some changes over time....but they're highly sought after by a lot of collectors.

The modern Buckmarks are certainly very good guns ...seem to cycle most any ammo ...but internally, they're nowhere close to the Woodsman or the model 41's .../ and I don't think they'll ever reach the Iconic status of either the Colt Woodsman or the S&W model 41's...
Old September 10, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Technosavant

The Buckmark is a good gun- IMO, it's the equal of the Ruger MK series. Is it the equal of the Woodsman? Hard to say- I learned to shoot with a Woodsman Match Target, and that is just such a sweet little plinker. But then, with a better trigger my Buckmark probably would indeed be every bit as nice.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
publius

I don't know that the Woodsman/Buckmark comparison is fair. If they still made the woodsman, I would say yes. the buckmark is a very good, reasonably priced pistol that I am not afraid of carrying around the woods or on the tractor. No way I would do that with a Woodsman now unless it was already really beat up. I look at the Buckmark as a working gun and the Colt as a target gun that you carry in a soft case to the range.