The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Slugo

thinking about a target grade Benelli...

either a Super Sport, Sport II or a Cordoba in 20 gauge. I know Big Jim shoots Benelli autos here, anybody else? I've owned and shot a number of autoloaders over the years, but never a Benelli. Looking for a little change of pace over my usual O/U's...
Old June 1, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
oneounceload

We see several at the club in use by folks who primarily hunt, not from the target shooters as without the gas action, they are a little lighter and the recoil is a little more pronounced - might want to try one before you buy one
Old June 1, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Tombstonejim

I got a super sport 20 I had rather shoot it than anything else. Several of my friends shoot super sport 12's .

My super sport has far less recoil than my 20ga 1100.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Slugo

1ozL shot a few Benellis, interested in the performance and cycling of target loads in 20 gauge. Recoil doesn't bother me...
Old June 1, 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Slugo

Tombstonejim, I detest the appearance of the SS with its fake plastic carbon fiber finish. Benelli uses very nice wood, why spend $300 more on plastic!
Old June 1, 2012, 08:43 AM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
Recoil doesn't bother me..
Famous last words..........

I'm looking at shoulder repair work; ask BigJim about his bionic shoulder repair; recoil damage is cumulative.
Old June 1, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Slugo

been shooting for decades, no shoulder, arm, neck problems what so ever. Gotta learn how to hold the bugger...
Old June 1, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
LSnSC

My son shoots a Supersport in 12. Its been a very reliable gun and will cycle my 7/8 oz reloads. I has a good bit sharper recoil than my Beretta's or Remingtons especially with faster or heavier payloads.
Ive shot a Cordoba in 20 (same gun as super sport) a good bit. Not my 1st choice for a 20 gauge autoloader. I prefer my 11-87 or LT 20 1100. More pleasing to the eye and more comfortable for me to shoot.
Old June 1, 2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Virginian

My advice, try before you buy. No question they work quite well, but recoil less than an 1100 !?!? I guess Benelli shooters really do experience felt recoil differently.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:25 PM   #10
BigJimP

Fly to Seattle ....you can shoot mine this weekend ... ...( super sport models in 12ga and 20ga..)...

Yes, I like them a lot. ( I know a local store that has one of each in inventory ...at $ 1,900 or so ...)..../ so you could take a pair of them home !

The Super Sport models ...all have the comfort tech stocks .. and the soft comb pad ...and they're easily snapped in and out ..if you want to change them for a leftie or whatever ( you have to buy the other pads at about $ 85 each but still - its an option ).

None of the wood stocked models ...can have the comfort tech system of course.

Part of the reason the Super Sports are easy on my shoulders...and elbows and hands...is they're real light / and the comfort tech reduces recoil enough that I don't have an issue with them. They shoot clean ...easy to maintain.

But there are a number of new gas guns on the market....Browning/Winchester...Beretta ...that are good guns too.
Old June 1, 2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Slugo

just wait until the new Fabarm XLR-5 hits the streets in a few weeks. Looks to be a real cutting edge autoloader. Lots of orders are in already...

http://youtu.be/M-D_QP7S968
Old June 1, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
BigJimP

The June issue of Shotgun Sports magazine ...has a pretty good review on the Fabarm XLR5 ...

I know he reviewed the 12ga version ....and I didn't know they had a 20ga version coming as well... and I understand it'll retail for between $ 2,500 and $ 3,000 ....but it looks like its a lot of gun for the money / with a lot of adjustability ( adjustable rib included ) - which is a plus. The editor - Johnny Cantu did the review and wrote the article....and I'd trust his perspective / and he seemed to like it a lot.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #13
jmr40

The Benelli's do recoil more than gas auto's, but no more than doubles of the same guage. No one seems to obsess over how much of a problem recoil is with doubles, which are still the preferred gun of most competetative shooters.

I love my M-1's, but view them and all Benellis as the better choice for a hunter. The SLIGHT increase in recoil I can tolerate from a hunters perspective. It is a tradeoff I'm willing to make in order to get the Benelli's other advantages. If I were planning on shooting serious competition though even I'd look very hard at a Beretta to get a heavier gas operated gun.

If you're like me, more of a hunter who shoots clays casually, the Benelli is a fine choice.
Old June 1, 2012, 09:01 PM   #14
PJR

I've put about 500 rounds through borrowed Benelli Cordobas in 12 gauge and another couple hundred through a 20 gauge Super Sport. Recoil wasn't an issue with them but more noticeable was the annoyingly heavy trigger pull. Reliability with standard 20 gauge target loads was 100 per cent but when it came time to decide on a 20 I bought a Beretta 391 Sporting.
Old June 1, 2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Slugo

PJR, that's interesting. The Beretta 391/400 is the favorite of pro shooters. None of them shoot Benellis...