The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2011, 04:37 PM   #26
OJ

Quote:
FWIW...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe you can still register "sawed off shotguns" with the Fed. Its the full auto (machine gun) registry that is closed.
Trust me here - it's been thoroughly researched over decades by Eric Larson - a dedicated collector in Maryland who wasted years trying to get the Handy Gun control relaxed - wrote a little book about it - but was never successful - even after the Handy Gun was reclassified as a "Curio and Relic".

Possibly some "sawed-off shotguns" but not the Handy Gun.

Your faith in the ATF being reasonable is misplaced. In the past decade I knew a retired and expired Marine's wife try to get her dead husband's Handy Gun registered - only to have it confiscated - and advised by the feds she was being treated kindly not to have to pay the $10,000 fine for possession of it.

Matter of fact, you can but or sell fully automatic guns such as the "Tommy Gun" if you are willing to go through the expense and jumping through hoops required to do so - the owner of the range where I shoot every week is a "Class 3 Dealer" who has several for sale.

Lack of common sense in the ATF isn't new with such as "Fast and Furious" it's always been there.

In addition to the .410s, there were some 28 gauge models made - outlawed also.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; November 12, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 04:51 PM   #27
OJ

Quote:
pelo801

Posts: 394 OJ- that's an awesome picture, the look on your face, i'm guess that's you, is just classic.
Yep - that's me in about 1933 - I grew up in the ranching country Sandhills of Nebraska and was nearly 16 when my folks moved to the city and I found there were other ways to make a living than as a cowboy. Until then, though, my dog and I terrified such game as I'm showing in that picture.

Things have sure changed - a 7 year old kid walking down the road with his rifle drew no attention other than friendly waves from those passing in autos.
Old November 12, 2011, 05:20 PM   #28
Master Blaster 2

untill the Judge came out 410 ammo was kinda hard to find. No 00buck. Now even WalMart carries it and 45Colt too...go figgure, Now S&W make their Taurus copy too..great news!!

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 12, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:10 PM   #29
Bill DeShivs

A Handy Gun without a barrel, or with a rifled barrel does not come under the NFA.
I believe you can apply to make a short barreled shotgun (or possibly an "any other weapon," pay the $200 tax, and then install a short barrel.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:23 PM   #30
aarondhgraham

It sure would be a long action though,,,

Imagine the slide moving 3" plus a bit more every time the action cycled,,,
I think that would make for a pistol you could never hold on target.

And where would the advantage lie?

Seems to me it's another solution for a non-existant problem.

But hey,,,
Someone would buy one.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 12, 2011, 06:24 PM   #31
Willie Lowman

Speaking of .410 pistols, I'd like to find one of these someday.

The Ladies Home Companion. .45-70/.410 street sweeper.

Old November 13, 2011, 12:27 AM   #32
OJ

Whether a .410 shell could be fired in a 45-70 rifle was discussed in another thread with wild speculation about possible split cases and such - my great uncle gave me three 45-70 rifles when I was about 4 and, like any kid, wanted to shoot them but had no ammo - so I found .410 shells fit. It was a bust - even tin cans were safe at over 10 yards - range not as good as the Handy Gun even - long barrels but no choke, of course. I went back to the double barreled one I shot ducks and pheasants with - and we had a lot of them in those days.

Trapdoor Springfield 1888 model with Buffington rear sight - army surplus then.
That little girl lining up the pool shot was the owner's daughter - now my wife. They lived upstairs so she literally did grow up in a pool hall.

Last edited by OJ; November 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM.