The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 30, 2004, 05:11 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Pennsylvania- October 30th, 2004- Range Report

Officiall head count was 39.

Who had fun?

We were well represented by people from :

www.thefiringline.com
www.amback.com
www.thefiringrange.com
www.Falfiles.com
www.ar15.com
www.thehighroad.org

Last edited by Jamie Young; October 30, 2004 at 06:29 PM.
Old October 30, 2004, 05:52 PM   #2
E36M3

I did. The one pic shows a .45 ACP vs. Clint Eastwood's probable pick for his next film. The other two are self explanatory. The Rohrbaugh firearm has the smoothest trigger that I've ever experienced, by far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Too Much Fun.jpg (40.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Just Enough.jpg (48.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Mr. Rohrbaugh.jpg (48.3 KB, 150 views)
Old October 30, 2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Jamie Young

Since so many targets were claimed I only shot the Rohrbaugh at sporting clays at the 50yd range. It hit pretty close to where I was aiming at and that's about 40yds further than I though I could shoot it.

I gotta adjust to the mindset of what a pocket gun is good for... compared to my other carry guns, but they are defanitely quality guns...... and they are 9mm.

When the first gun you fired was a pistol chambered in S&W 500 the pocket pistols bite didn't bother me.

Thanks to everyone that let me shoot their guns!

MikeB wins the award for LOUDEST FRICKIN GUNS!!

Last edited by Jamie Young; October 31, 2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old October 30, 2004, 06:15 PM   #4
9mmMike

It was swell. Somehow I missed on shooting the 21 that ArcAngel said he'd bring.
I put more 7.62 through the M1A than ever. The five new imported mags from Ammo Man worked great. I had one problem with one mag on feeding the last two rounds but I was unable to recreate the trouble. The sights actually work on the M1A but I am just about out of surplus Port. and I will probably be buying some of the Australian stuff next so I'm guessing that I'll be re-sighting at the next outing.
I think that I broke the firing pin in the '56 336. No boom after click. Doesn't anything last anymore?
I got to shoot the Rourbaugh which was quite nice and in the perfect caliber (9mm!).
I also shot Marcus' NAA .22 mag and that monster S&W revolver that I can't remember the caliber or name.
The Chinese 'S' model AK was very cool and the operator was making some nice ragged holes with it.
I'm about to sit down and clean the 228, G17 and M1A, ah the smell of Hoppes and CLP while Mrs. 9mmMike is baking cookies in the kitchen........
All in all a fine time with fine folks.

Next up, another pumpgun sporting clay run........?

Thanks Jamie!

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 30, 2004, 06:22 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Quote:
Next up, another pumpgun sporting clay run........?
I'm in.

When?
Old October 30, 2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Norton

Thanks for a great time everyone! and thanks to Jamie for putting things together. It was a pleasure getting to meet so many new (to me) folks.

I ended up not shooting my own guns very much as I was too busy auditioning various .308 MBRs.

Thanks to DaveC (who wins the "most toys award") for letting me try his excellent FAL and PTR-91 and to P95Carry for letting me try his also very nice scoped FAL. I got to try an equally excellent M1A (whose owner's screen name I didn't get) and despite that moment of terror on a bump fire was very enjoyable to shoot.

I had a feeling that there was a good reason for me to buy that box of Aussie .308 despite not owning a gun in that caliber.

The trip back was much faster than this mornings....the 2.5 drive back was well worth a day of fun and new-found comraderie.

OK....back to cleaning....
Old October 30, 2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Mike_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Young
MikeB wins the award for LOUDEST FRICKIN GUNS!!
I'll take that award. Finally I win one one that's good to win.

Thanks Jamie for putting together the shoot it was a lot of fun.
Old October 30, 2004, 07:59 PM   #8
Jody Hudson

Twas another great time with a great bunch of people. Thank you Very Much Jamie and also to everyone else - we are GREAT!

I'm looking forward to the next one already!
Old October 30, 2004, 08:15 PM   #9
P95Carry

Thx indeed Jamie - good to see us ''long haul'' brigade checkin in as home safe and sound. My trip was just over the 3 hrs but a good run, and much in daylight which helped - 205 miles IIRC). .. (no ''U'' turns Jody! Haha)

Great to see everyone .... this time many old faces and friends ... and some new. It was a pleasure having Eric Rohrbaugh there again and this time he was able to manage much more demo of the gun.

Paul ... that Aussie ammo came in well eh!! Glad you had some ''FAL fun''!

MikeB certainly carries top award for blast and noise! Mike - I'll try and make that vid clip - if any good I'll maybe even put it on server and put a link up for all.

9mm sure excercized the M1 ... tho not the sorta day really for prone shooting!

Several of us had hand cannons .. always a joy to shoot and see those ... well, for me anyways, as a recoil junky!

David parke - sorry I saw so little of you - but glad you made the mammoth drive to get there .. and home safely too I trust.

Weather turned out kinder than I had anticipated .... we were fortunate.

So - pic time .. thx already to E36 for his - nice shots. I present here the group pic ... I have kept it 800 pix wide so as to make it big enough to show who is in it - couple at rear I realize were somewhat screened! Not sure who they were. A great turnout again tho - most encouraging. Light was pretty flat but I think this'll show OK>

Finally, after that pic ... one of the pistol range in good use and Eric Rohrbaugh, both describing his ''wares'' and shooting one.

Great day guys .. thx for your company.

Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site
Old October 30, 2004, 08:23 PM   #10
Jamie Young

9mmMike looks too dang happy in that group picture. What was going on back there?
Old October 30, 2004, 09:05 PM   #11
Marcus

Thanks Jamie for another great event! I enjoyed every minute of it. I can`t remember the last time I put so many rifle rounds downrange. The highlight had to be shooting a Rohrbaugh and the BIG .500 S&W. Those 400gr. Corbons were serious fun! I`m already looking forward to seeing everyone again at the next shoot! Marcus
Old October 30, 2004, 09:36 PM   #12
nvrquit

Well, Doesn't That....

.... just figure!

One of the reasons I wanted to get to the gathering was to pick some minds on FAL's and H&K clones. The choices are being narrowed down between a DSA Stg58 and a PTR-91. Seems I could've had a few questions answered had been able to attend.

BTW, anyone with experience with either(or better yet, both), please PM me your opinions/experiences with these rifles. Thanks for any feedback!
Old October 30, 2004, 09:43 PM   #13
Jamie Young

There were more battle rifles at this gathering than ever before. I've never seen so many FALs at my club before.

Thinking about another big one in March.

Anyone want one sooner?
Old October 30, 2004, 09:47 PM   #14
hoseman

Hi all,
I had a blast today. Met some real nice down to earth gun nuts.Lots of old and new and i lost count how many sks were there. see you guys at the next gathering. If you did't make this time , make time for the next shoot.

Hoseman
Jose
Old October 30, 2004, 10:03 PM   #15
9mmMike

Quote:
9mmMike looks too dang happy in that group picture. What was going on back there?
Can you see Marcus' hands..............?
Old October 30, 2004, 10:10 PM   #16
E36M3

.500 action shot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That Hurt.jpg (48.6 KB, 78 views)
Old October 30, 2004, 10:17 PM   #17
9mmMike

Who has the pic of the NAA next to the .500?
Old October 30, 2004, 10:20 PM   #18
Arc Angel

Unbelievable! Hey, Mike, was that you standing right next to me; and neither one of us realized it? I, even, walked over to your bench to watch you lighting up the place with that M14-A1. I’m sorry; we’ve spoken back and forth a number of times; and I originally meant to ask around for you shortly after we arrived.

By the time that picture was taken I was dizzy from several hours of being hit in the head by Hoseman’s red hot 30 caliber brass. (I got even with him on the way home, though. I got bumped and, somehow, managed to spill hot coffee all over him!)

That Glock Model 21 was under my jacket the entire time! DanV1317, the tall fellow standing next to me, also, had a beautiful set of Heinie CGR, ‘Straight Eight’ sights on his Model 17. (He’s a top flight IDPA shooter, too. It’s too bad we didn’t, all, get together over at the pistol range.)

What can I say? That was a good crowd; and we, all, had a really fine time! There’s always next year; and, this time, we’ll be able to recognize each other.

See you,

- David
Old October 31, 2004, 06:30 AM   #19
Jody Hudson

Would it be possible and acceptable to have screen names and real names for the folks in the photo. Peace be with you - Double Peace. That's me with the two peace signs showing how peaceful (albeit noisy) we all are.

I regret not taking more care to learn the names and screens of everyone. Of course I would have forgotten most of them by now, with my memory.

I made - Not one U-Turn on the whole trip back Chris!

Last edited by Jody Hudson; October 31, 2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 31, 2004, 06:33 AM   #20
Mike_B

To add to the fun we even had to fix a jammed Glock. Always use the right tool for the right job.

Old October 31, 2004, 06:38 AM   #21
Jody Hudson

There was a noteable scream from Eric, the owner of the Glock, just as this picture was taken, or a bit after. NO RESPECT for proper armorer proceedures and tools, I guess.

The Glock DID get fixed however and shot well thereafter.
Old October 31, 2004, 06:45 AM   #22
Jamie Young

So that's why I heard all the foul language.

What exactly happened?

That wasn't another attempt by Jody Hudson to feeding Wolf ammo in an American gun?
Old October 31, 2004, 07:23 AM   #23
Jody Hudson

A bad cartridge of foreign manufacture - an Illegal Alien - slithered into hiding, in the chamber of Erics Glock and would NOT come out for INS or anyone else.

We knew it would take effective force to eliminate the problem - we were correct. The Glock was not harmed! The cartridge will NOT be bothering anyone ever again.

The Bosnian War Axe was used for intimidation value but slightly less dramatic, and thus less workable, weapons of intimidation were used and used and used. It took a lot of special and most unusual forces but we had no casualities on our side.
Old October 31, 2004, 07:48 AM   #24
Norton

>>>Would it be possible and acceptable to have screen names and real names for the folks in the photo.<<<

I'm the one in the ball cap in the back/center looming over everyone

Paul
Old October 31, 2004, 10:50 AM   #25
DanV1317

I'm the young lad there in the middle with the green cord shirt and the red headphones on. Shot about 300-400 rounds out of my sks that i got about 2 weeks ago. Pistol range was kind of crowded, only got to shoot 100 rounds of my glock 17 with the custom glock racing heinie straight 8 night sights. Deffinatly had alot of fun. Especially lighting things up with that cetme. I think i liked it too much, i'm going to get a FAL (French Automatic Luger (i think))for myself in about 2 weeks . can't wait to be shooting 500 yards with that baby.