The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Coyote WT

resources for new reloaders

My dad has been out of the firearms hobby for lots of years so he's been liquidating his collection between my brother and me. Part of what I get "pre-inherited" is a reloading set up. I didn't get a chance to look at it in depth, I was cleaning the old 22 rifle and .38 revolver as he was breaking it down, but I'm very excited to add reloading to my list of hobbies.

Before I start my search for training manuals and information is there any where an experienced reloader can point me to as a starting point? Are there any reloaders in the Seattle area willing to mentor a new and budding enthusiast?
Old April 16, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
overkill0084

Books:
ABC's of reloading
Lyman 49th manual
Modern reloading 2nd edition
The reloading manuals I have messed with all have a intro section that breaks down the process for beginners.

I don't know about your area, but Sportsman's Warehouse here has classes every so often. If there is a place near you that sells reloading supplies, pick the brains of the people there.

There are also the stickies on this forum as well as the people.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 16, 2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Ronno

Hornady 8th edition Handbook of cartridge reloading
Lyman Reloading manual
Search YouTube for your reloading equipment brand
www.hodgdon.com
www.bergerbullets.com
http://ultimatereloader.com/
http://www.sinclairintl.com/
this guy is not bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcCo...eature=related

Anyhow this is a start, good luck and welcome to the club!
Old April 16, 2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Also the many Lee help videos. In particular, the section on single-stage die setup is pretty universally applicable, except the Lee lock nuts are kept in place by an O-ring that tightens against the press, while other brands use a set screw to fix the nut on the die to make it screw in to the same spot each time without running the shell holder up.

Whatever you got, most brands, if they're not obsolete, now have PDF instruction files online. All companies making reloading equipment seem to have folks willing and able to help you over the phone. So, if you got, say, some Bonanza gear, and you know Bonanza was bought out by Forster, you can still call Forster and ask about it if you can't figure it out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Coyote WT

Thanks tons!

Thank you for the information! I'm excited to get started on my research and learning the ins and outs.
Old April 16, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Memnok

Start with a common pistol caliber first. There will be lots of data available, and there is less to go wrong.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson