The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 21, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
TPAW

Spotting Scope

I'm looking for a spotting scope that will give me real up close views of shot groups from 100 to 300 yards, that has a large eye piece. What power would I be looking for? Price range $200 to $300. Recommendations please.
Thank you.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Rinspeed

In that price range Nikon are very tough to beat.
Old October 28, 2009, 12:08 AM   #3
HiBC

I spent 3 times your budget,but one of my dearest possesions is my Kowa spotting scope

Just this antelope season,friday before opening day,brother took it out to the Pawnee Grasslands to verify elevation on his AR-10-T.He was sighted with a nosler match bullet and used ballistic tips to hunt.He lasered his target at 300 yds,fired two rounds.Spotting scope showed them.One click elevation,and he fired 3.A 25 cent piece size group,on at 300.

Done.Time to pick up the target.

This is typical at 300.We just do not have to walk downrange.We use orange on white Redfield targets,and its a 77 mm Prorimar flourite lense
Old October 28, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Slamfire

A Burris Landmark 15-45 60mm scope will suffice for what you are looking for. a friend has one, it is clear through the field of view.

I have shot across the course for over 20 years now. I own Unertl, Leupold, Kowa and Pentax spotting scopes. And a cheap Barasika. The good scopes are as good as you can get within reason.

Regardless of scope, you cannot see through mirage. Two hundred yards is about the limit for reliable spotting of bullet holes. Even then, if the range has a lot of mirage, you are not going to see your bullet holes.

It takes an exceptionally clear range, such as Camp Perry, which is by a lake, to see bullet holes at 300 yards. Occasionally I can see 30 caliber holes on the 300 yard range at Perry.

Someone brought out a Russian naval scope to the 1000 yard range at Perry. This thing was in a turret, the lenses were at least 14 inches. Though the image was exceptionally clear, you still could not see bullet holes through the mirage.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
HiBC

Slamfire,I do not doubt what you say is true in your experience.Maybe my 5000 ft altitude has something to do with it.
I do agree air conditions limit the range we can see bullet holes.
But,I also believe my own experience.On a really good day,I have seen 30 cal bullet holes in the black of a standard NRA target at 500 yds with this scope.
On a really bad mirage day,I might not be successful at 300,but on a typical day,its just not a problem.
I also laser my targets with a Leica,so these ranges are not a guess.
One thing that helps me a lot,the vibration that comes through my tripods makes seeing really tough.I use a rabbit ear sandbag and my scope is very stable.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Slamfire

Quote:
But,I also believe my own experience.On a really good day,I have seen 30 cal bullet holes in the black of a standard NRA target at 500 yds with this scope.

Wow!. Well, the deep South, where I live, is a very hot and humid place. Would you believe that the local 100 yard reduced range, I cannot see what is going on the 600 reduced target? The soupy mirage hides them. After a couple of shots, it is all a blur.

Still, I will stand by my recommendation of a Burris Landmark. I looked through one and thought it was a very decent spotting scope for under $200.00

My Pentax costs over $1000. Shooting at Chattanooga Rifle Club, with the Pentax I was able to see the white paster edges at 500 yards. My cheap Bariska, I could see the color differences between pasters and bull.

I don't recall being able to see bullet holes at 500 yards.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
riggins_83

I ended up buying the Burris 15-45x60 Landmark scope about a year ago. It's very clear at any zoom ranges, focuses well, and has great eye relief. It also includes the Burris tripod which I love. It's a little short leg tripod which uses great sets and two knobs for adjustments so you can really fine tune it, very easy to tune it exactly where you want. There are certainly more expensive spotting scopes out there but for $157 new it was a darn good deal.

Stay away from the cheap spotting scopes. Usually they have poor eye relief and horrible glass. My dad has a Bushnell which cost him about $110, extremely unclear and has literally no eye relief. I have to touch my eyelids to the eyepiece even when using the lowest zoom (20x I think).
Old October 29, 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Adirondack

I recently bought a Konus 7120 from midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=466045

It looks like I bought it a little too soon because it's now on sale for $197; that is an incredible deal for the image quality of this spotting scope. I was at the range and had no problem seeing .223 holes at 200yards. It comes with a soft case and a table top tripod.

Last edited by Adirondack; October 29, 2009 at 06:37 PM.