The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 21, 2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Spahrtan

Shady grease gun

I was running out of the gunstore the other day after leaving the range (they were closing by i wanted to get a quick walk-through in). They have a "GM M3A1 Grease gun" for $1060. Clearly is a semi-auto at that price but it only has the normal short barrel and the wire buttstock.

They dont deal in any autos or SBRs or AOWs. Am i wrong in thinking this is a SBR? Just curious.
Old September 21, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2
MisterPX

It sure sounds like a SBR. Strange part is the GM stamping, not Valkrie Arms. Almost sounds like a dealer sample, but you're sure they don't deal in NFA?
Old September 22, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Spahrtan

I've never seen anything in there. They're very much a discount gun store. Carry lots of high-points and the like. But they get some excellent used goodies which Im lucky enough to snag sometimes. At a price of ~$1000 though, could it really be a dealer sample? I dont know, i'll try to swing in there tomorrow and have a closer look.
Old September 22, 2006, 03:24 PM   #4
shaggy

Maybe its just a fake/non-gun?

If so (and you don't want it), and it still has usable parts, please let me know - I need a greasegun parts kit.
Old September 22, 2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Couple of possibilities - - -

I've never handled one of the long barrel Valkyrie semiautos, so I may be all wrong here, but - -
When UZI was selling the 16" semi only carbines, they sold a dummy barrel of conventional length, for display purposes only - - It was not chambered, or bored all the way through. Any firing had to be done with the long barrel. Perhaps this M3A1 is something of the sort.

The vast majority (ALL??) of the M3 and M3A1 SMGs were produced by the General Motors Guide Lamp Division, so this may be the source of the title they use in the shop. It is unclear from your post? Is the marking "GM M3A1 Grease gun" on a store tag or label, or is some of that marking stamped into the metal?

If the latter, they may be selling a "dummy gun" built up with some real parts and a non-functioning receiver.

I believe you may rest assured of two things:
1. No licensed, transferable, fully operational M3A1 would sell for $1060.
2. No regular gun store would take a chance on openly offering for sale an illegal weapon. If it is an SBR, they would require that you complete the proper federal forms before even getting CLOSE to a transfer.

Best,
Johnny
Old September 22, 2006, 07:54 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Incredible as it sounds, some places that sell guns actually don't know the law or don't know enough to recognize a machinegun when they see it. I have seen a live Chauchat and a live Japanese Type 11 in (different) antique shops, and unregistered DEWATS in gun stores after '68 when the dealers had no idea that they weren't still non-guns. One dealer told me his "display only" MG.34 (unregistered) DEWAT had to be OK, as it was ignored by BATFE in compliance inspections as soon as they saw it was welded.

Jim
Old September 23, 2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Spahrtan

It was a "decommissioned war trophy" but they had "all the right paperwork" and "it got snatched up pretty quick"
Old September 23, 2006, 06:43 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the gun was a registered DEWAT, "all the right paperwork" would be a Form 4 application to transfer, just like a live machinegun. And the buyer could "snatch it up" in several months, unless BATFE has really speeded up the process.

If that "decommissioned war trophy" was completely "demilled" with the receiver torch-cut into pieces, there would be no paperwork involved at all.
If it was a DEWAT, with only the barrel welded, it would have had to have been registered just like a live gun.

I think that shop may be (probably unknowingly) in violation of the law and flirting with loss of license and a severe penalty. If they are friends, a word to the wise might be a good idea.

One advantage of buying a registered DEWAT, if one can be obtained at a good price, is that it is already registered and can be opened up on payment of a $200 tax. Contact BATFE for particulars.

Jim
Old September 24, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Spahrtan

Quote:
I think that shop may be (probably unknowingly) in violation of the law and flirting with loss of license and a severe penalty. If they are friends, a word to the wise might be a good idea.
I've seen them first hand do at least a half dozen exchanges that SCREAMED straw purchase. I'll just say that a lot of swarthy folk come up from downtown, drive right past the more reasonably priced gander mountain, and come to this store.

The 4 guys who work there are a 50/50 split between real nice guys and total....jerks. But even the 2 nice guys KNOW they know EVERYTHING regarding laws and guns. No telling them anything.
Old September 26, 2006, 11:35 AM   #10
FirstFreedom

Sounds like your questioning of the item caused them to (between your visits) get concerned, pull it from the floor, and then come up with the story of it being DEWAT, registered/legal, and sold.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

An authentic, working grease gun will bring what, close to $10,000 these days?

Not many made it out of the government system.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Quote:
An authentic, working grease gun will bring what, close to $10,000 these days?
Transferable one, yes. But...

An authentic, working grease gun (that is non-transerable legally), in a shady pawn shop or small gun shop that picked it for $200 (from the widow of a WW2 GI who brought it in), and wants to get rid of it as fast as possible, to turn a quick buck, and just call in in ordinary 4473 on it, may run right about one grand. They've got bills to pay, and will probably never get a BATFE audit. Just a possibility I'm throwing out there. Or better yet, have the buyer fill out the form, go to the back and get on the phone. Order a pizza instead of calling NICS, stamp approved, complete transaction, pocket money, shred 4473. No trace. Next year, BATFE says "Hey we caught this guy with full auto, no license; says he bought it at your store." "Hmmm, never seen him before." "Kinda what we figured; sorry to bother you."

Actually, there is no BATFE any more, is there - they are a division of D.H.S. now - what's their official name or acronym, anyone know?
Old September 26, 2006, 07:24 PM   #13
Spahrtan

Honestly, the above wouldnt supprise me at all. :barf:
Old September 26, 2006, 08:35 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

There certainly is still a BATFE and they still do the same jobs. They were moved from the Treasury Department to the Justice Department (not DHS).

The original agency was the Alcohol Tax Division (ATD) of the Internal Revenue Service because their job was to collect taxes on alcohol. They first became noted (or notorious) as the "revenooers", charged with busting up illegal stills, an occupation with about the same level of risk as patrolling Baghdad.

When Congress enacted a tobacco tax, they were named the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Division (ATTD) of the IRS. In the meantime, they had also been given responsibility for enforcement of the federal gun laws (the NFA and FFA), because those laws were snuck through as "tax" laws. But it was not until they became a bureau (higher up on the organizational chart than a mere IRS division) that "Firearms" was added to the name and they became the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Still later, they were given responsibility for enforcing federal explosives laws and investigating crimes involving explosives, and that, too, was added on.

The move to Justice was something of a compromise. Treasury didn't really want the heat they brought, and many lawmakers wanted to abolish BATFE altogether and transfer their duties to the FBI, something the FBI didn't want either. So they were moved into Justice, as rather uncomfortable bedfellows with the FBI, but without being part of that agency. The official line, of course, is that everyone is just fine and very happy to be working together to enforce the laws and protect the citizens. Of course all those intelligence and crime fighting agencies get along well and cooperate fully in guarding our nation. (If you believe that, I have this ocean front lot in Kansas...)

Jim
Old September 27, 2006, 10:29 AM   #15
3 weelin geezer

Perhaps its one of those movie prop guns they sell on S/G news. Or its a reproduction model that doesnt actually fire. As they say, there's a sucker born every minute.
Old September 27, 2006, 11:08 AM   #16
3 weelin geezer

Perhaps its one of those movie prop guns they sell on S/G news. Or its a reproduction model that doesnt actually fire. As they say, there's a sucker born every minute.
Old October 8, 2006, 02:00 PM   #17
tal35

greasegun

Well, here is the answer to the greasegun. Yes it is a registered dewat, I bought it and am waiting on paperwork to clear. It was dewatted in the 60's and was on a form 5. It is an M3, not m3a1 as mentioned, and belonged to an attorney here in town, who did not want it anymore. I am going to reactivate it after I file the needed paperwork and the paperwork comes back.

Last edited by tal35; October 8, 2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: none
Old October 8, 2006, 04:37 PM   #18
CleverNickname

Good one for you. A dewat M3 for $1060 is a steal.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:41 PM   #19
tal35

m3

When its rewatted it is around $17-20k gun, also has brit. proofs from lend lease
Old October 9, 2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Spahrtan

Guess i didnt give those guys enough credit, good buy!
Old October 20, 2006, 03:32 PM   #21
GeorgeF

Wow, talk about your finds! Good for you! Post pics when you get them.