The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
CoreyLilly2020

.40 s&w compensator recipe

Just started reloading .40 s&w for my glock. I'm running a carver 4 port comp and I'm trying to get the most out of it. Looking for a recipe to just get me started not a lot of info out there on the web especially for the lighter weight 135gr projectiles. Any info would help!
Thanks for the help!!!!
Old November 23, 2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Clark

My father told me, I think, that he used Hayes Elements of Ordinance 1939, and it says to use 1.5 times the projectile velocity for the gas velocity to calculate the momentum contribution of the powder mass.

He is dead now, but I have a copy of that book I bought. It is not exactly what I remember.

The free recoil velocity of the gun = [[bullet weight][bullet velocity] +[powder weight][4700]]/ weight of the gun

That means the effect of the gas on recoil is not based on it moving 1.5 times faster than the bullet, but assume that the center of mass of the gas moves at 4700 fps.

I have a 40sw right here on my desk. A glock 20 with KKM barrel. It weighs 1 lb 12 oz.
I have 200 gr bullets that move 1400 fps with 12 gr of powder.
The gun weighs 12 k gr.
The velocity of the gun is then = [[200 gr ] [1400 fps]+ [12 gr] [4700 fps]]/12 k gr = 28 fps [I happen to know it really hurts]

If we took the gas out sideways, the recoil velocity of the gun would be [200][1400]/12k = 23.3 fps [you could feel the difference.]

If you angled ALL the gas forward [not possible] you could reduce that much recoil again.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?