The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1
awfire1

autodisk question on lee pro 1000 9mm

New to reloading, I have everything i need. Only problem is my powder. I found the only pistal powder left in the city the other day and it has some load data on it. But no OAL and min to max. The powder is Blackspear group (which i cant find any info on). The load data is for 9mm 115 fmj,5gr. So with no other info. The question is how do i find the right autodisk to use with my lee pro 1000 to get 5gr of powder? thanks
Old November 20, 2014, 05:24 PM   #2
TailGator

Trial and error.

The tables that come with the auto disk are only approximations of the drop even for the widely used powders. Use a scale to verify. If your powder isn't listed, just start with an orifice that looks reasonable (probably one of the larger orifices on disk B) and check the drops until you get what you want.
Old November 20, 2014, 05:34 PM   #3
gwpercle

Do you have a powder scale? If not you will need one to verify how much powder a measure drops. Don't rely on a chart to tell you how much , it may be over or under what the chart says and the correct charge of powder is very important in reloading.
Load safe,
Gary
Old November 20, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
The powder is Blackspear group (which i cant find any info on)
Likewise, not finding anything on that. Can you provide a picture of the label on the container?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 20, 2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Jim243

Interesting name, where did you get the powder from??? I have an idea it is a specially made blend for the "Blackspear Group". The bottle should say where and by whom it was made.

Or you could just call the company and ask, I am sure they might be interested in where you got the powder from as well.

Jim

http://www.blackspeargroup.com/
Old November 20, 2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and to reloading. Thanks for asking our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfire1
autodisk question on lee pro 1000 9mm
New to reloading, I have everything i need.
Do you have a scale? TailGator is correct. You NEED a scale. (almost) al manuals are published with propellant WEIGHTS, not volume. (Volume is too variable, given compaction ratios and such.) Weight is the most reliable way to publish or share load data.

Some say by weight is the only way. I don't agree, but it is, BY FAR, the more reliable way to communicate information. Once you have the volume determined (by checking the weight of the dispensed charge) you can proceed volumetrically and just sample to ensure your packing ratio is not "drifting".

But you need a scale.

You can mete powder with a scale and no powder measure (albeit slowly). But it is foolhardy to mete powder by any method (no matter how fast or conveniently) without a scale to verify your charges.

Lost Sheep
Old November 21, 2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Jim243

As to OAL you should use the bullet manufacturer's for the specific bullet you will be using. Generally between 1.12 to 1.09. You will need to make up a dummy round to try the "Plunk Test" with your barrel once you settle on a OAL.

As to which disk to use, that will be by trial and error using a scale since your powder is not listed on the Lee Data sheet that came with your Auto Disk powder measure. 5.0 grains of powder will be 5.0 grains on all scales. You really need to get a scale if you plan on doing any amount of reloading.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim
Old November 21, 2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

One thing I've done before with new powders is measure out the amount of powder I want, eyeball it for how large of a volume it might be, and then lay the disk on a sheet of paper and slowly fill the various charge holes to see which one gets me closest to the charge I want.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.