The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 22, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1
pangris

Excellent book on training and tactics - Book of Two Guns by Tiger McKee

I met Tiger McKee when he was an instructor at Thunder Ranch and have since trained with him at his academy, Shootrite. I became aware of this book on his website, www.shootrite.org when setting up a class for my wife. I went ahead and purchased a copy.

This book is an exceptional distillation of the major schools, trainers, and modern thoughts on self defense with firearms. It is explained that it was originally his personal journal and Clint Smith (who wrote the forward) suggested he publish it. The book is filled with excellent illustrations and summaries of training philosophy from all the “big name” people – Smith, Cooper, Gonzales, Jordan, Good, Suarez, Clausewitz, etc, etc etc. There is also a bit of Asian philosophy thrown in. After getting less then halfway through I decided to buy another copy since I was highlighting, taking notes in the border, etc etc. That is the highest compliment I can pay a manual of any sort.

I think it will serve those who have had professional training exceptionally well as you should be able to examine a lot of theory and philosophy from trainers you may not have been able to work with (yet). If you have an idea of how to use the weapons, then a lot of the content is easily understood.

If you HAVEN’T had any training, I think the book could open your eyes as to what you can learn. No book or video can substitute for actual range time, but it can help you to realize the range of knowledge out there.

The format of the book is VERY unique. It is hand written an illustrated. The hand illustrations are very good. Everything is easy to read.

A basic explanation of how I think of the book –

Imagine there was a huge manual of everything you needed to know about rifles and pistols – a thousand page type deal, fine print, bible like book. Then imagine if someone who really knew and understood the material took notes… lot of notes… and came up with 172 pages of the most important aspects. Of all the books I’ve seen on training, it covers the most ground CLEARLY and CONCISELY.

The book is a very, very valuable asset. I bought a second copy because the first copy has a rough life – highlighting, note taking, traveling with me, riding in a range bag.

There is a heavy Smith/Cooper influence, which I happen to agree with. There are a lot of other views represented as well but a lot of the material agrees with the dogma of TR.

The basic areas addressed for both rifles and pistols, with a bias toward the 1911 and AR-15 -

Weapon configuration
Weapon presentation
Weapon transitions
Reloads – various types for various situations
Sight Picture
Malfunctions - various types, how to clear anything every time
Trigger control
Concealed carry – pistol, how to minimize the presence of a rifle
Weapon retention
Tactical movement
“blind” operation – physical cues on how to handle your weapon without looking at it
Weapon strikes
Firing positions –prone, kneeling, etc
Cover, concealment – how to use, fire from, find better, etc
Building clearing and manuevers
One handed manipulation including malf clearing
Flashlight techniques
Fighting out of a vehicle
!!! Mindset !!!

There are a LOT of techniques discussed that are NOT specific to the AR and 1911, just the rifle and pistol in general.

Overall I can’t suggest the book highly enough.

It is available from Tiger directly at www.shootrite.org or www.amazon.com

A few pics -

My two copies...

Example of handwritten text

Examples of illustrations
Old April 25, 2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Barry in IN

Thanks for the review.
I read a review you posted elsewhere about a week or so ago, and ordered a copy.
It sounds great. Certainly a unique book.
Old April 25, 2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Lamar Jaggears

I think it is required reading for serious students!
You will get more out of it, if you have already trained in Modern Technique. I do not think it is a novice book. It is a rather short book, 172 pages. However, there is more meat in it than a lot of large books.
Old April 28, 2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Jeff22

THE BOOK OF TWO GUNS by Tiger McKee

I just ordered a couple copies of this book.

I make it a point to buy just about every firearms & tactics related book that comes along, on the chance that I might learn something new. Or even if I don't learn anything new, if the book is well done, I find it to be of value.

I'm looking forward to reading THE BOOK OF TWO GUNS, just in time for the summer shooting season to begin.
Old April 28, 2005, 04:34 PM   #5
airhawk27

Tiger Rules!!!!

I took a private 2 day Carbine course with Tiger at his place. It was hot and I am not as young as I use to be. This man can teach and he can teach anybody that has the desire to learn. The only thing i can say negative is Tiger not having a brass boy to pick up all of my brass!!!

I travel heavily and I had to change my schedule once. No Problem, but do not take advantage of his kindness as people like Tiger are not as plentiful as they use to be.

I also plan on a handgun course as soon as my schedule allows.

Have questions?

Please feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Shootrite.... the best kept secret of the south!!
Old May 10, 2005, 11:37 PM   #6
Jeff22

Just got my copy of THE BOOK OF TWO GUNS yesterday

I just received my copies of The Book of Two Guns yesterday. As the originator of this thread pointed out, the book is a distillation of instruction from many different sources. Tiger McKee includes primary techniques of weapon manipulation as well as all the viable alternatives he is familiar with.

The format is very interesting. The figures in the illustrations do look a lot like androids or aliens, but once you get used to that, it's okay.

This book is a comprehensive overview of the manipulation and employment of the M1911 and AR-15 type weapons, and discusses all the widely taught techniques. Based on my preliminary inpressions, this is a pretty good book, and a good value for the money.