The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1
PLS4886

I think I got screwed and did not get kissed!

I bought a ATI folding stock for my Mossberg.
Just looking at it, it did not appear to be put together very well.
I got it installed and unfolded it. There is about an inch of play in the stock in the open position. When I put it on my shoulder this "play" causes the end of the barrel to move almost 2 inches. Way to much.
I bought it from a dealer at gunbroker.com and he did not have a return policy. I sent him an email and let him know I was not impressed. Not really his fault.
I also went to the ATI website and let them know I was not impressed.
So, unless someone gives me my money back, I am going to be throwing a $50 folding stock in the garbage.
D
Old March 3, 2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Troponin

This is exactly why I dont buy this sort of stuff online. The only thing I have ever bought online that was always accurate have been weight lifting supplements and I bought a car stereo at Circuit city online. I don't trust anything/anyone else.
Old March 4, 2005, 01:33 AM   #3
yekimak

ATI is crap, and the price is usually an indicator. Get a choate, better than the butler creek for about the same price, and butler creek is lightyears above ati.
Old March 4, 2005, 05:34 AM   #4
TwoGuns

Shoulda asked here! I can not stress how ****TY anything made by ATI is. Maybe sell it on gunbroker? Someone else might not care about it as long as it looks cool. You could always put up an explanation as to why you're selling it, if your morals get to ya.
Old March 4, 2005, 08:10 AM   #5
PLS4886

Twenty years ago I bought a choate folding stock for another gun and it is still working fine.
I bought the shotgun for second line home defense, first is our dog. (A real B%tch to strangers). It has a pistol grip and there is no way the wife would shoot it like that.
Back then I was not as concerned about saving money and now my wisdom in saving is gonna cost me 50% more.
I cannot understand how ATI could actually try and sell this trash. :barf:
Da%n morals prevent me from trying to resell it on gunbroker, it will probably find it's way to the trash can.
D
Old March 4, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
PLS4886

Update

I got a reply to my email from the manufacturer offering to help check my installation process.
I also got a reply from the dealer I bought it from and he offered an exchange or refund.
I do believe I am going to go with an exchange for a choate folding stock.
Dan
Old March 4, 2005, 10:50 AM   #7
XavierBreath

I'll give my simple opinion on how to spot a cr***y stock for a Mossberg 500.
#1 If it folds.
#2 If it also fits a Winchester or Remington with the adapter in place.
Looks like the ATI folder fits both criteria, therefore it has a high probability of attracting flies.
Old March 4, 2005, 07:10 PM   #8
dfaugh

Huh...

I bought one 4-5 years ago...Its been well used, and works great and is nice and tight...Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to...

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old March 6, 2005, 02:32 PM   #9
springfieldmaniac

I can't vouch for the folding stocks but choate makes some decent fixed synthetic stocks.If you really what a quality folder see if you can find a "cop stock" supposed to be of highest quality and reduce recoil to boot.Sure it is twice the price of the ATI,but the ATI was a piece of S***.The higher price tag and quality are better in the long run,nothing like the feeling of throwing 50.00 into the garbage.
Old March 6, 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
2002gti

sell it, you may not recoup all your money but should be able to get most of it back
Old March 10, 2005, 06:08 PM   #11
rugerdude

I guess I got lucky. I've had my ATI dragunov stock on my 10/22 for over a year now and I love the thing. Tough as nails and looks great. Fits good as well. I also think it looks better than the choate one IMHO. But I seem to be the minority here, and I can't vouch for ant of their other products.

I do think ATI is more of a "tacticool" company than a high quality stock manufacturer. (However my 10/22 stock is still great)

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old March 10, 2005, 07:06 PM   #12
CaCrusin

Try the Knoxx COPstock Folder

Check it out at www.knoxx.com .

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old March 10, 2005, 08:02 PM   #13
PLS4886

The dealer I bought the gun stock from has offered to trade the ATI stock for a stock Mossberg, synthetic, non-folding stock. He said they do lots of conversions for law enforcement and have plenty lying around.
The whole point of the folding stock was to allow the wife to be able to shoot it and not be scarred of it. The pistol grip on the gun hurt my hand after a few shoots, so I know the wife would only have shot it once.
I think I'll do better with a standard stock.
Dan