The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 1, 2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Rtlesnake

1,000 yard scope

I need a scope for a 50 BMG and have looked at many scope sites online. None of them list a scope capable of accuracy beyond 600 yards. I'm not impressed with the MilDots or the ones with the bullet compensator. None of the compensated scopes listed the BMG.
I sure dont want to spend more on the scope than the rifle. I know there has to be something out there that works for less than $1500.
I am looking at something in the 20 to the 32 power range and the largest objective I can find. I want a 1" tube too. Picky aint I?
Any ideas, brands to recommend? Something that will hold up to the recoil for say about $500-$700 range?
Thanks.
Old February 1, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2
black&blue

I'm not much up on that issue, but I did hear one guy talking about his 50 and how much he liked his Night Force. www.nightforceoptics.com Price??? But I think its up there. Good luck.
Old February 2, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3
bergwerk

I've been using the Russian Kalinka 6-24X60 and it fits what you're looking for.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-bin...=GSPPOII62460F

The optics are (East) German Jena which some rate higher than Zeiss.
Old February 2, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
bikenjam

I have a Burris Black diamond. i'm not sure why you wouldn't want a 30mm tube, but they do give you a lot more adjustment. Mine is a 6-24 x 50 fine plex. You can get them for 600 bucks at riflescopes.com It tracks perfectly. i've never used it at the 1000 yard line so i can't coment on that. well, i just spent about 5 minutes looking through my favorites. Some guy did a review on one for a 50 BMG and really liked it. one thing i'd strongly recomend is the burris signiture rings. The 30mm rings come with offset incerts for 20 MOA With the 20 moa offset rings and over 50 moa adjust ment in the scope, you should be able to hit the 1000 yard mark easy. ah, my friend has a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 that he picked up on a big sale through midwayusa.com Awsome scope, but if had to choose between his scope on regular price(900-1000) and the black diamond, i'd pick the burris. Its hard to put a number on how much more the Mark 4 is worth, but i don't thinks worth 300+ more. oh, if you haven't heard of midwayusa.com, id check out there web site. every product has a comments box that people can write in about each product.

hope that mess of a paragraph helps
Old February 2, 2005, 05:32 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Bergwerk, that scope sounds interesting but that link is bad, and I don't see anything larger than a 56mm objective on that site...what's up?
Old February 3, 2005, 02:41 AM   #6
gordo b.

Get a Leupold MK 4 in 10x (15x will work too but any more power mirages out at long distances)fixed with .50bmg calibrated comeups around $850 if you shop well. You won't need off set mounts or rings to 1200 yds. Mines worked well since 1995 on a M-82 Barrett for 900 rnds.
Old February 3, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7
sundog

I'm not impressed with the MilDots...

You're not? Our Army and Marine snipers have been doing a purdy durn good job with them lately. sundog
Old February 3, 2005, 11:06 AM   #8
HankL

I'm not sure what this means.
Quote:
None of them list a scope capable of accuracy beyond 600 yards.
I can't recall seeing a listing by any scope manufacturer showing at what distance their scope becomes inaccurate. What is scope accuracy anyway?
I never was the sharpest knife in the drawer so any help would be appreciated.
Old February 3, 2005, 06:18 PM   #9
alan

Rtlesnake:

You would have to dig around and end up with a second hand unit, but scope, but Unertle made an excellent target scope. Power was changeable via replaceable eye pieces, and they could be had with objective lenses as large as 2", perhaps larger in diameter. Paralax was adjustable as was focus. Adjustment was in the mounts.

My old scope, one I sometimes used for 1000 yard competition, was 10 power, and worked well on a 30-06. It had a fine cross hair. Other reticules might have been available. I cleaned the old 5V 1000 yard target with the above mentioned rifle and scope.

Whether is would take the recoil associated with the 50 caliber BMG round, I have no idea.

The above might help some.
Old February 3, 2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Rtlesnake

HankL, It doesnt make sense to me either. That came directly of of a few websites claiming their scopes were "accurate" to 600 yards. Its probably limitations in the optics...I dont know.
That Kalinka looks good and is by far the cheapest.
The reason I want a 1" tube is because I have several sets of nice rings in 1" and I just didnt want to buy more! I'd like to use them first.
Old February 3, 2005, 08:00 PM   #11
bikenjam

Ok, im not a diehard Burris fan, and i'm not trying to push it that hard either. I just like to give my expereinces to help people. anywho, one thing i do is research. those kalinka scopes looked interesting, but i found this on a search

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller7002.html

It seems like there any other lower end scopes. Some are gems, others are junk. I've had good luck with tasco's, but a lot of people haven't. So, this is just my opinion, so you can throw it out if you feel like it. I don't think i'd trust that scope on a 50 BMG at 1000 yards.

sorry if i hurt some feelings.
Old February 3, 2005, 10:56 PM   #12
Chick

The VariX III target scopes by Leupold, are fine scopes. As a side note, a friend of mine sent his to a company named Precision ...something. They altered his 6X20 to a 4.5 X 35. He said these people made the bomb sights for aircraft in WWII, and were a very reputable company. Cost for this alteration was about $230.
Old February 6, 2005, 11:53 AM   #13
bergwerk

Quote:
that scope sounds interesting but that link is bad, and I don't see anything larger than a 56mm objective on that site...
Go to the website and select KO PPO Sniper in the lower left column. The last four scopes in the page that opens should fit your needs.

I have the second last on the page.

Here is the link again:

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-bin...20PPO%20Sniper