The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2019, 02:35 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Beretta Px4 subcompact

For quite some time I've looked at the subcompact and liked the way it looks and have had an off/on thoughts of getting one. Well, for various reasons, I've come a lot closer to getting one and the big reason is DA/SA in the most concealable size.

Springfield makes the XD-E and I have been looking at single stack pistols, but I don't care for their corporate politics and Mossberg's new MC1 has caught my interest a lot more anyway cuz Glock mags.

Purpose is concealed carry, nothing more. How does the subcompact Px4 carry compared to a single stack 9mm?
Old February 8, 2019, 03:20 PM   #2
TailGator

Its a chunky little guy, closer to a Glock 26 than a single stack. I carry a Glock 26, so that isn't a disqualifier, just a caution.

Also be aware that the subcompact does not incorporate the rotating barrel design that contributes to making the compact and full-size PX4 such soft shooters.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:20 PM   #3
tboy1951

TruthTellers - I have the PX4 sc and absolutely love it. It is slightly larger than a lot of other sc's, but the ergonomics and the smooth contours make carrying it so much nicer. An hour or so after carrying it the first time I did not even notice it. And, it shoots smoother and with noticeably less recoil than other sc's I have. Also, I really do like the 13 shot mag capacity over the 6,7,or 8 count mags. The added capacity will be nice in any confrontation requiring use of a sidearm or in SHTF scenario. The DA/SA action is a big plus as far as I am concerned. The take down system of the MC1 just seems to be added work compared to the PX4.
Old February 8, 2019, 05:10 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator View Post
Its a chunky little guy, closer to a Glock 26 than a single stack. I carry a Glock 26, so that isn't a disqualifier, just a caution.

Also be aware that the subcompact does not incorporate the rotating barrel design that contributes to making the compact and full-size PX4 such soft shooters.
I didn't know that. I have a Glock 27, but would like something DA/SA that size or smaller. The rotating barrel design wasn't on my list of things to have, so it's nbd.

So what is the design of the subcompact px4? Tilting breech?
Old February 8, 2019, 09:08 PM   #5
OhioGuy

It's a chunky little thing. I wasn't terribly fond of it although I like other PX4 models.
Old February 8, 2019, 10:32 PM   #6
bjw741

The PX4 subcompact has always struck me as a little chunky too.

I have an XD-E 9mm that I really like a lot. Thin and light for a DA/SA which I prefer and 9+1 capacity with the extended mag.

But if you can't get past the Springfield corporate politics, you might also look at the Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact and the Taurus TH9c. Both also DA/SA with similar size and capacity to the PX4 subcompact but maybe not as "chunky" looking and feeling.
Old February 8, 2019, 11:13 PM   #7
Cosmodragoon

It is a little chunky. Given that and how good the regular compact is... Can you comfortable carry the regular compact?

Last edited by Cosmodragoon; February 9, 2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Edited for Grammar
Old February 9, 2019, 01:37 AM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
It is a little chunky. Given that and how good the regular compact is... Can you comfortable carry the regular compact?

I could, but I'm not a fan of compacts. Full size and subcompacts are my bag, which is why I have a G35 and a G27. I go to the extremes, there's no use for a "Goldilocks" pistol.

Which is why I was so focused on a single stack DA/SA a weeks ago. That's as small as you're gonna get, but there's really only one option for a polymer single stack DA/SA. A lot more options for doublestack DA/SA subcompacts.
Old February 9, 2019, 11:45 PM   #9
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Which is why I was so focused on a single stack DA/SA a weeks ago. That's as small as you're gonna get, but there's really only one option for a polymer single stack DA/SA. A lot more options for doublestack DA/SA subcompacts.
I know all the cool kids like their striker-fired guns and many of the traditional DA/SA companies have shifted big resources towards making striker guns for American buyers. It just strikes me as ludicrous that there isn't a good single-stack DA/SA to compete with the Shield, PPS, Glock 43, etc... or is there? What is that lone option you mentioned?
Old February 10, 2019, 01:36 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
I know all the cool kids like their striker-fired guns and many of the traditional DA/SA companies have shifted big resources towards making striker guns for American buyers. It just strikes me as ludicrous that there isn't a good single-stack DA/SA to compete with the Shield, PPS, Glock 43, etc... or is there? What is that lone option you mentioned?
https://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-series/

and the 4.5" is perfect for the shoulder holster concealment I would be running. The 3.3" would be for waistband carry.

But that's Springfield and I don't like what they did in Illinois.
Old February 10, 2019, 07:54 AM   #11
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I could, but I'm not a fan of compacts. Full size and subcompacts are my bag, which is why I have a G35 and a G27. I go to the extremes, there's no use for a "Goldilocks" pistol.

I think you mean, "Goldi-Glocks?" HA! I made a funny!

I still can't get my head around why we're still mad at Springfield. Seems nothing they do, no matter how public or for how long, to clarify and apologize for their political move, will ever get them down off the gallows. They happen to make excellent firearms. The XD-E is one of them, and it's not only the only single-stack DA/SA, it's also a very good one, and there is a world of difference between it and something like a PX4 subcompact or CZ RAMI, which are both very thick guns. Yes they carry more, but they're thick and put a big lump on your hip. Of course, the XD-E has a long grip and can also stick out if you don't have a holster that deliberately pulls that grip into your body. I do wish Springfield had made the grip more like the XD-S, with extended mag options, for easier concealment under more clothing.

If you don't want Springfield, then Beretta and CZ are about the only options in that size range I can think of. RAMI is hard to find and has very little aftermarket support.
Old February 10, 2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
But that's Springfield and I don't like what they did in Illinois.
There seems to be a lot of controversy over that. There are two reasons that I haven't taken the time to really dig into it. First, I'm not a 1911 guy. I think 1911s are nice guns with a rich history but they're not my cup of tea. Second, I've never had any interest in the XD guns. Between the grip safeties and the "grip zone", they've always just sort of flown under my radar. I wasn't familiar with the XDE series but I don't like manual safeties on DA/SA guns either. (I know, I'm hard to please.)

I'll hold out until I see a thin polymer single-stack in DA/SA with no manual safety. In the meantime, I'm still considering the Sphinx SDP Subcompact as an alternative to the RAMI.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:47 AM   #13
OhioGuy

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of controversy over that. There are two reasons that I haven't taken the time to really dig into it. First, I'm not a 1911 guy. I think 1911s are nice guns with a rich history but they're not my cup of tea. Second, I've never had any interest in the XD guns. Between the grip safeties and the "grip zone", they've always just sort of flown under my radar. I wasn't familiar with the XDE series but I don't like manual safeties on DA/SA guns either. (I know, I'm hard to please.)

I'll hold out until I see a thin polymer single-stack in DA/SA with no manual safety. In the meantime, I'm still considering the Sphinx SDP Subcompact as an alternative to the RAMI.
Sphinx is supposed to be quite good. "Subcompact" in DA/SA options means something quite different from striker guns, as even the XDE is on the large side of small carry options.

Dimensionally the Sphinx is not far off from a CZ-P07, which can be had for under $400 sometimes. I've had a P-07 for about 18 months and it's been an awesome gun. CZ just released the subcompact (G26 size) P-10S, so I'm hopeful (but not too hopeful) there will be a subcompact P-07 variant. But the gun market just doesn't seem to be screaming for DA/SA guns.

To your point about external safeties -- while the XDE lever can be pushed up to act as a safety, it doesn't have to be, and it's flat enough that it wouldn't be likely you'd accidentally engage it during firing or otherwise manipulating the gun. If I had one, I would not use the safety and would just carry in DA. Uncocked and unlocked!
Old February 13, 2019, 07:48 PM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

I have become such a fan of Beretta, especially since owning the Pico and the Nano. The Nano as a Micro 9 is one fine well built shooter. I love the Smooth double Action trigger and the very mild shooting I have thought about the PX 4 and folks that own them love them Like all Beretta's they handle recoil so well. Thinking about one in 40.cal. I am also thinking about a GRAND POWER. They also have the rotating barrel and seem like such nice well built guns.

Look at the quality is this gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pu0Kj5Vpvk

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 13, 2019 at 07:55 PM.