The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 14, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Eye relief

Mounted my new nikon monarch 3-12x42 on leupold STD low rings and STD one piece base. With the scope as far back ( toward shooter) as possible i'm still a bit shy of full sight picture. Is there more adjustment toward shooter with two piece bases? Also the bolt handle, not the knob, slightly touches edge of eye piece just before fully pulled back. I can work bolt without a problem, not sure if i could get scope in proper position of eye relief that it wouldnt touch at all. Maybe higher rings are also needed?
Old July 14, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Creeper

Or... maybe your head is too far back (or too low or too high) because the LOP of the rifle is too long or doesn't have enough cheekpiece for your build?

Take what would be your "shooting stance", close your eyes, shoulder the rifle in a natural, comfortable fashion. Open your eyes... where should the eyepiece be?

I've cut down plenty of stocks and built up cheekpieces to accommodate my build... perfectly normal.
Well, I'm not perfectly normal... just saying it's normal to modify the rifle to fit you.

Cheers,
C
Old July 15, 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Bailey Boat

A pic of the set up would be helpful. You may need to go with extension rings depending on what the photos reveal....
Old July 15, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

Most everyone I shoot with shoulders their AR a bit different than other rifles. Their nose is within a inch of the charge handle. Two fellows in particular have their nose touching the charge handle which is too close for me. Is your stock the A2 or A4 type?
Old July 15, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Firefighter88

Its mounted on a winchester model 70 fwt. chambered in .270 win. I'm not worried too much about it contacting the bolt as far as affecting the action, it really barely touches, and I can cycle bolt back and forth without it touching. Mainly wanted to get it back toward me maybe another quarter of an inch or less. The eye relief is really close to full, just wanted it to be completely full.
Sorry the pics aren't very good, all I got.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg
Old July 15, 2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Creeper

As I suggested, I'm guessing the LOP is a bit too long. If you have a recoil pad of any real thickness, take it off and see what that's like. 1/2" to 1" off the LOP and 1/4" higher rings may be all you need to have achieve an excellent cheekweld and sight picture.

Good luck sorting it out.
C
Old July 15, 2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Doyle

If the LOP is correct for you then you need Leupold Extended rings. They are offset so that you can mount the scope either more forward or more backward.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Firefighter88

Thanks for the info so far, i may try the off set rings first. I assume the off set rings have low, medium, and high as well?
Old July 15, 2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Firefighter88

As far as LOP, i dont know what its supposed to be, but it feels ok. I have a factory recoil pad(which i dont know how to remove). I have been mounting gun in different positions and it seems to be good when i'm relaxed and have gun rested on something, but standing shooting off hand it is a little off. I need to go to the range and shoot it maybe to see how it feels. I'm just unsure about sighting it in this way and then having to pull it off and start over with new rings or other parts. Tough decision.
Old July 15, 2012, 05:47 PM   #10
SSA

Try higher rings. You don't want the bolt handle hitting the eyepiece, anyway.

For increased fore and aft adjustment, take a look at Burris XT bases and rings.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #11
jmr40

Those rings and base are all wrong for that rifle/scope combo. You definately need 2 piece bases. I'd also use medium rings with a 42mm scope. You shouldn't have to use extension rings since you have the option of mounting the 2 piece bases in either direction for more flexability.

I don't use anything but Talley Lightweights anymore. They will be 1/4 lb lighter than your current setup, less expensive, much easier to mount and are stronger since the ring and base are all made together. Look better too. You can mount both front and rear mounts facing either direction to get a lot of flexability in eye relief with the Talleys as well.