The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Cowboy_mo

Hunting in Africa - some things you should know

I had the great fortune last year to spend 10 days hunting in South Africa last August. It was fabulous!!!!!! I saw more game in 2hours than I had seen most of my life hunting in the states. The trip was great and I was fortunate to take 5 animals (Bushbuck, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, and a Zebra).

Of course after all that fun comes the taxidermy bill and the shipping of trophies. I elected to have my trophies mounted in South Africa. I haven't seen the mounts yet (I pick them up at the YRC trucking dock in St. Louis tomorrow) but will let you know how happy I am about them after that.

The part you should be aware of is the shipping of the trophies. A shipper in South Africa will contact you with quotes for the shipping from there to your door plus provide a marine insurance quote to cover your trophies while in transit. So I selected the quote providing travel of the trophies to New York by ship with delivery to an importer in New York (Flora & Fauna) who would get my package through customs and loaded to a truck for ultimate delivery "to my door".

Last week I got a call from YRC trucking informing me that my trophies had arrived in St. Louis (about 50 miles from my door) and asking to make a "appointment" to deliver the freight to me. Now, YRC's idea of "an appointment" is an 8am-5pm window on a given day M-F. I told them this was unacceptable as it would cost a day's work for me or my wife. I asked them if I could pick up the package at their dock instead. They said "of course" our dock is open 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week. I said okay, now how much of will my trucking bill be refunded since you aren't delivering to my door, as I paid for. Long story short, I got the run around. Well I got back in contact with the shipper and Flora & Fauna asking about a refund on part of the trucking.

Today, YRC trucking got back to me and indicated that they could provide expedited shipping" to my door and would only require a 4 hour window from 8-12 on M-F. That service would cost an additional $200 plus. To this I replied No thank you, I will be at your dock sometime tomorrow (Saturday).

I tell you this, so you will know. If you go anywhere outside the U.S. to hunt and will have trophies to ship home, final delivery to a residence will cost you more $$$$$$ even after you think you have paid for everything, unless you are fortunate enough to work out of your home of have a spouse at home M-F who is capable of unloading your trophies when they arrive!!

Also, I have since learned that there are other import companies based out of Houston which will handle the import/customs process for much less than Flora & Fauna.

Bottom line, if you ever get a chance to go to Africa & hunt, GO GO GO. It will be the trip of your life. Just be aware of all the possible gotchas after your hunt is over.

P.S. If you wife doesn't hunt, convince her to go anyway. The place is absolutely gorgeous and the food and lodging are fabulous. At least mine were with Wayne Wagner Safaris. I should also plug Gracy Travel for arranging all my air travel and having someone to meet me in Joberg.

Note to the mods: If I have placed this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it and accept my apologies.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:59 AM   #2
warbirdlover

I am SO jealous. The main African game animal I would want is a Kudu. I love those horns! But I'm retired now and haven't got the bucks for this unless I win the lottery (and I'm trying)...
Old October 30, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
lt dan

cowboy, sorry to hear about your extra costs. glad to see it couldnt make you negative about your trip. the correct thing is that your outfitter should have anticipated ALL costs. yet the world isnt perfect.

Glad to see you had a good time over here. also very happy to see you got a wart-hog.

warbird, Kudu is king. to hunt them is a real experience. they are the most difficult plainsgame to hunt in my book. the dont have the name grey ghost fore nothing. i went on 11 kudu hunts before i got my first kudu bull.

p.s hunting over here might be a lot cheaper than you think
Old November 1, 2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Countertop

Just turned 40 and one of the "things" I wanted was an African safari. Well, life got in the way, and we never had a chance to even think about planning it. Now I'm looking at doing it at 45, or perhaps just doing it unrelated to any milestone.

Anyway, What's a reasonable budget to plan for the entire trip - guide, licenses, trophy fees, lodging, taxidermy plus shipping to my door, for a similar plains game hunt?
Old November 2, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
lt dan

Countertop, I am not an outfitter nor a ph, but i know a few. if you want i can get you a couple of qoutes. aslo check out this story: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363909
Old November 2, 2011, 02:42 AM   #6
phil mcwilliam

Countertop, I've hunted Africa a couple of times for plains game, both in South Africa & Zimbabwe. If you shop around you should be able to do a 10 day plains game hunt for around $10,000 all up including airfares.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
briandg

africa used to be a dream of mine. Not anymore.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:59 PM   #8
meatgrinder42

I always wanted to take my old Mauser out to Africa and shoot a Zebra... Someday... But very cool man, very jealous...
Old November 2, 2011, 04:01 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
Anyway, What's a reasonable budget to plan for the entire trip - guide, licenses, trophy fees, lodging, taxidermy plus shipping to my door, for a similar plains game hunt?
The annual SCI convention is coming up after the holidays in Las Vegas - Many hunts are booked there. If you cannot make that, look at the program and get the names of outfitters so you can contact them for all your info
Old November 2, 2011, 04:17 PM   #10
meatgrinder42

Was looking up Africa hunt rates... for 10 days in the plains and 'trophy fees' and such...shooting a giraffe would be about 8-10k
Old November 3, 2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Cowboy_mo

Update on my trophy shipping.

Well, I must have rattled the correct cages. I have now received emailed apologies from upper level Flora & Fauna people and a telephone call apology from the account exec from YRC trucking for Flora & Fauna. Best news is that I will be getting $150 refund on the USA shipping costs since I picked up the package at the YRC dock in St. Louis.

To you guys who are thinking about Africa, I suggest you check out Wayne Wagner Safaris http://www.wagnersafaris.co.za/ .

Regarding the cost, I spent 10 days in South Africa with Wagner Safaris. I took 5 animals (see original post for a list) and had 1 to 1 guide service. Including the airfare, safari fees, trophy fees, taxidermy, and shipping, the trip was around $13,500. Now, that may sound high to some but check out the cost of a really nice elk hunt in the states and you're looking around $10,000 plus your travel to the site and your taxidermy if you take an animal. However, you are still out the cost of the hunt plus the travel even if you don't pull a trigger.

Someone earlier quoted 8-10K for taking a giraffe and I can tell you that is way high. The trophy fee for a giraffe is $2500 with Wayne and they are so plentiful, it certainly won't take 10 days to get a really nice one.

As someone suggested earlier, many fine outfitters from around the world (including Wayne Wagner) attend the SCI convention every year. You can meet face to face and decide what you want to do. IMO, every hunter should put a trip to Africa on his/her bucket list. It is well worth it just to see all the different species and number of great animals they have.