The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2015, 07:16 PM   #1
NateKirk

Give a newbie a training agenda

So I just got my CPL and have done nothing but casually shoot paper targets all my life.
I have a Sig Sauer P238 Equinox for a carry gun
I have an IWB holster from Cooks Holsters and around 1250 rds of ammunition

Where should I start as far as personal defense training goes? I figured I'd start with drawing the gun from the holster using the proper grip and finger placement. Once I got that down I'd practice my shooting starting with gun at side, bringing up into position and firing. Then once step one and two were good and I had the confidence to not accidentally shoot myself I'd put it all together; drawing from the holster and firing. After that I'd practice more tactical things such as shooting and moving, from different positions, practice point shooting, etc.

What do you think? Any changes you'd make or suggestions? How would YOU train?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old September 2, 2015, 07:42 PM   #2
g.willikers

It's very hard to train yourself.
And all too easy to get it all wrong and have to unlearn to relearn.
With all the training facilities available these days, there's probably some nearby.
I got a very good foundation of skills from those who knew, when I knew nothing.
Looking back, trying to do it without their help would have been at best a waste of time and at worse a disaster.
Old September 2, 2015, 07:53 PM   #3
NateKirk

Can anyone recommend a good school in Michigan or northern Ohio?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old September 2, 2015, 08:10 PM   #4
g.willikers

Plenty will show up with a web search for Michigan firearms training.
I just tried it and there's a lot.
Same for Ohio and Indiana.
They're literally everywhere.
But be aware, they're like potato chips, you can't stop with just one.
And don't forget the action games like IDPA and USPSA for example.
I probably learned as much about shooting and gun handling there as from the training sessions.
While they are no way a substitute for the training necessary for surviving deadly encounters, they do serve that other purpose very well.
But get the training first.
That way you will be less likely to scare the match range officers or risk disqualifications.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 2, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old September 3, 2015, 01:37 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Welcome to TFL.

An excellent choice for a first class is Massad Ayoob's MAG-40. He travels and offers his classes in a variety of locations.

Unfortunately, you just missed a MAG-40 in Cleveland. He'll be doing a MAG-40 in Rochester, Indiana the end of this month, and he'll be in Illinois in early October. Check his schedule. He should be posting more 2016 classes before too long.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 3, 2015, 03:24 PM   #6
NateKirk

Yeah I looked into Massad Ayoob; I've heard good things about his classes. Maybe I'll sign up for the next class in Indiana

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old September 4, 2015, 04:01 PM   #7
pax

There's an excellent, well-established firearms school in Ohio -- Tactical Defense Institute. That's in West Union, and I suspect the drive would be quite worth it.

One of TDI's staff members, Greg Ellifritz, has an excellent blog and a training company of his own -- Active Response Training. Greg and his cohorts do quite a bit of traveling throughout Ohio and the midwest; see http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/upcoming-classes for his schedule.

There's also a well regarded school near Rochester, Indiana -- Sand Burr Gun Ranch. It hosts a wide selection of traveling trainers every year, including Massad Ayoob (MAG-40) and John Farnam. Either of those instructors would give you an excellent start.

pax
Old September 6, 2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Alliance Police Training, operated by the Alliance, Ohio PD, is maybe the finest facility of its type between Moyock, NC and Paulden, AZ.

They host a bunch of extremely good teachers of gun-fu.