The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 24, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
MADISON

Add amonia to Ed's Red?

Ed’s Red for Copper Removal
Basically Ed’s Red is equal parts of:
K-1 Kerosene
Varsol/Oil Based Paint Thinner
Dextron 2 or 3
Lanolin and Alcohol can be added.
I read that you can add 13% ANOMIA to make it an excellent Copper Remover. Wal-Mart doesn’t sell it...
Where can we get the amonia and will “Bo-Peep Amonia” do the job?
Old May 24, 2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Check the phone book for janitorial supply for 13% ammonia.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:41 PM   #3
hoghunting

Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a can of Wipe-Out. It is a foaming gun cleaner that is the best I have ever used. Spray it in the barrel, let it sit, then run a couple of patches through the bore to clean it out. No more brushes or scrubbing. As long as Wipe- Out is available, I won't use anything else.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Don H

Ed Harris' recipe called for acetone as one of the ingredients but I've never seen ammonia in any variations to the recipe.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Dave Haven

Quote:
Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a can of Wipe-Out. It is a foaming gun cleaner that is the best I have ever used. Spray it in the barrel, let it sit, then run a couple of patches through the bore to clean it out. No more brushes or scrubbing. As long as Wipe- Out is available, I won't use anything else.
+1
Wipe-Out works!
Old May 25, 2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Bud Helms

I've heard some GREAT reports about Wipe-Out.

Here's a website for Ed's Red: http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
Old May 25, 2006, 09:08 AM   #7
dutchy

A number of years ago, a german equivalent of G&A (Visier), did a field test on gun cleaning oils. Not copper removers but general 1 product gun care liquids. They were tested on
A. anti corrosion
B. powder residue removal,
C. Bore cleaning.

Reason for the test was the emergence of many new PTFE based products (yes, 2 decades ago).
The test was supposed to run over several weeks.(anti corrosion and powder residue removal).

Finally the test was ended prematurely because ALL (but one) products had failed in one or more aspects. The only one left standing after several weeks was exactly the same oil that served the german army in both WWI and WWII and that I still use today for 1001 applications. I would not dream going camping without it.

Don't know if its available in the states, it is called Ballistol from the Klever company.

Using household chemicals such as ammonia (poisonous) or diesel/gasoline(flammable) does not strike me as good care for carefully engineered and manufactured products.

With all due respect.