The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 30, 2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Mobuck

Is that a pellet rifle?

I've had some loggers cutting my place for a month and we chat a few minutes every morning. Of course conversation turns to guns and stuff and I'd mentioned having a muffler which interested them greatly. Today was their last day so I took my RAR with the Form1 muffler to show off. One guy recognized what it was right off but the others thought it was a pellet rifle when I fired--at least until I opened the bolt and flicked the empty out. I let each shoot a couple of rounds and got a full circle of silly grins at the experience.
Bottom line, these are Amish men who have no idea what "movie quiet" means so really are amazed by the lack of muzzle blast.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:08 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"Movie quiet" isn't reality anyway. Neither are any other movie gun shot sounds.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:25 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

I also enjoy showing the different between "movie quiet" and "normally suppressed" sounds. The closest I can get to "movie quiet" is my 10/22 using subsonic rounds while suppressed. My 300 Blackout also using subsonic is pretty good too. Then I'll load up and shoot standard ammo and they're usually surprised at the difference.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:38 PM   #4
jmorris

My form1 .22 can makes less noise than a “moderated” pellet gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXMYpYFZ8c
Old July 31, 2018, 08:39 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
T. O'Heir "Movie quiet" isn't reality anyway. Neither are any other movie gun shot sounds.
Wrong.
I don't think you really know what the term actually means.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 31, 2018, 10:29 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"Movie quiet" isn't reality anyway. Neither are any other movie gun shot sounds.
You don't seem to ever revisit a thread where you've previously posted, so I guess you never see our corrections. That must explain why you keep posting the same bad information over and over again.

You probably won't see this post either, but as I recently pointed out to you in this thread, the term "movie quiet" or "Hollywood quiet" is a term in the silencer world used to describe a silencer/host combo that's so quiet it gets close to the fake sounds used in movies and TV.
Old August 1, 2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Mobuck

" the term "movie quiet" or "Hollywood quiet" is a term in the silencer world used to describe a silencer/host combo that's so quiet it gets close to the fake sounds used in movies and TV."

Thank You
Old August 2, 2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Jim Watson

A silenced pistol or SMG lets you hear stuff; the bolt slapping back and forth on a SMG, and a pistol bullet impact on a steel plate subjectively louder than the shot. Numbers on a sound level meter are higher than you expect from just listening.

On the other hand, a suppressed .308 is still loud, nowhere near ear safe. And the supersonic crack as the bullets go overhead is very unpleasant. (Hey, I was in the target pits of a Conventional range while they were shooting. With ear plugs.) But the silencer is an effective flash hider and pretty good recoil brake. And if you are a sniper or poacher, the shot is hard to localize.

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who splurged on a silencer for his .300 BO and can't say what that sounds like.
Old August 2, 2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Mobuck

"Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who splurged on a silencer for his .300 BO and can't say what that sounds like."

A solid hand clap would be my perception.

"if you are a sniper or poacher, the shot is hard to localize."

A suppressor is a significant advantage while predator hunting.
Old August 2, 2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Quote:
A suppressor is a significant advantage while predator hunting.
I run a can on my RAR in 17hmr when shooting prairie dogs. I can shoot 3-4 of em off a mound before any of em react to the sound. Without the can, they scatter after the very first shot
Old August 3, 2018, 06:40 AM   #11
zeke

A subsonic through a bolt 22 rifle, or 308 rifle is Hollywood quiet. Another advantage to the suppressor is keeping range noise down. The "crack" follows the bullet, but ends at the berm and significantly reduces the gun report radiating out.

The noise of a suppressed 308 may largely depend where you are in relation to the muzzle, or action opening in semi-auto.
Old August 3, 2018, 07:14 AM   #12
Mobuck

I've noticed a significant "bounce back" of sound when shooting toward a treeline or steep hillside with a suppressed centerfire(or even the 17HMR if the treeline is within 150 yards). Using the muffled 17 for squirrels doesn't seem to gain much as the foliage reflects the sound.
I shot a lot of muskrats on permit out of a Federal wetland project in 2017 using a muffled 17HMR. One shot from even a 22lr scared them for several minutes but the muffled 17 didn't seem to have that effect and I could shoot 2-3-4 within a couple of minutes.
Old August 3, 2018, 09:07 AM   #13
BillM

"Movie quiet"?? Loudest sound out of my Savage FV-SR with Liberty Kodiak can used
to be the striker clicking against the bolt body when I cycled the bolt. Little bit of machining and a urethane bumper eliminated that. Now the loudest sound (with
sub-sonics) is the bullet hitting the target.
Old August 3, 2018, 09:27 AM   #14
stephen426

@ jmorris,

That is a pretty crazy comparison. I have a Benjamin Marauder in .25 and they are one of the quietest PCP guns on the market. The .22 is practically silent except for the slight click of the trigger releasing. Incredible!
Old August 3, 2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Quote:
I've noticed a significant "bounce back" of sound when shooting toward a treeline or steep hillside with a suppressed centerfire
Hatcher described that.
At one time it was policy to issue a few Springfields with Maxim Silencers.
He said a silenced shot on a range with a row of telegraph poles down the edge sounded like a burst of machine gun fire.
Old August 4, 2018, 06:01 PM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

Yes, the sonic boomlet of the bullet is reflecting off nearby objects. When I shoot on a U-shaped berm, it sounds kind of like an air wrench. Subsonic makes that go away, of course.