The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 26, 2018, 09:36 PM   #1
old fart

marlin 60 receiver dinged?

I have a marlin model 60, I was shooting it and notice some failures to feed as the bolt locked way back. I took it down and the buffer is busted, I have one on order and will install it when it comes in. however I noticed the receiver is dinged where the bolt hit it, probably several times. there isn't a crack or anything broke but a very noticable ding or depression in the receiver. will this hurt anything to have this in the receiver? thanks
Old September 27, 2018, 06:05 AM   #2
10-96

If you've given it a good cleaning and looked at it under good lighting and still see no cracks, then I'm sure there would be no issues to worry about. Once the new buffer gets in there, it will disperse the impact all around like it's supposed to and will be of lesser worries.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 9, 2018, 07:51 PM   #3
jrothWA

Yes, detail the action and lube it with some graphite.

strike the bolt with a stone to smooth the surface and then ENJOY It!!
Old November 23, 2018, 08:46 AM   #4
old fart

UPDATE: while shooting the gun i now see that there is a small drag line on the bolt. the gun functions great with no feed problems as i put over 100rds thru it and not one failure. i don't have a dremal and its too hard of a spot to get a file into, will this damage the bolt?, will the bolt finally wear down the small area and stop draging? it is only seeable if i put oil on the bolt and then shoot, the spot is about the width of a lead thats in a #2 pencil can be seen across the bolt. i am fine with it as long as i'm not gonna hurt my bolt, just want to make sure from ya'll as i have never had this trouble before. thanks
Old November 23, 2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Take the oil out of that spot, and put a dab of grease there.
Everything will be fine.
Old November 23, 2018, 11:12 PM   #6
5whiskey

It'll be fine. The model 60 is tough, and from watch you describe that line isn't much different from the drag mark on a revolver cylinder.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946