The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 29, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Noreaster

Classifier question

When you complete a IDPA or USPSA classifier are you limited to that same setup for competitions. For instance say I shoot the USPSA classifier with a production pistol, can I shoot a subsequent uspsa match using a single stack, in the single stack division, or do I have to stick with production.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Jim Watson

In IDPA your classification is for the Division you shot the Classifier in.
Want to compete in a different Division? Shoot the Classifier again with a suitable gun.

I think USPSA is similar except multiple Classifiers go to build a classification in one Division.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Noreaster

Got it. Thanks Jim.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
lmccrock

USPSA does not require you to be classified to shoot. Most matches will have a stage that is setup as and is reported to USPSA as a classifier. Usually that stage is shot with the same equipment (hence same division) as the rest of the match. Next match, change gear to your heart's content.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
RickB

If you want, you could shoot both sports without ever classifying. In USPSA, you are allowed to compete as "Unclassified" forever, though if you shoot many matches you will shoot enough classifiers that you will eventually become classified. If you are not a USPSA member, you will never have a classification, as classifier scores of non-members are not maintained.
IDPA requires that you reclassify annually, in the sense that if you mean to shoot a sanctioned match (state, regional, or national championship), you must have shot a classifier, for the division in which you intend to compete in the sanctioned match, within a year prior to the match date. If you shoot only local club matches, you could probably continue to shoot without classifying. All clubs are required to run at least one classifier match a year, so again, unless you are trying to avoid becoming classified, you will be able to do so without trouble.
To answer your question; you can shoot whatever division you want, whenever you want, and it doesn't matter if you are classified in any division, let alone the division in which you are competing.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Adamantium

Shoot as many different divisions as you want, but only one a match. There are a few clubs that will let you shoot two pistols, but they are few. For that you will shoot all stages with one pistol, then all stages again with a second pistol.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Gryff

Quote:
When you complete a IDPA or USPSA classifier are you limited to that same setup for competitions. For instance say I shoot the USPSA classifier with a production pistol, can I shoot a subsequent uspsa match using a single stack, in the single stack division, or do I have to stick with production.
In IDPA, you can shoot in other divisions, but you will be classified as Unclassified. Your classification is only valid for the division in which you shot it.

This does not mean you can't shoot other divisions at a local match. It is just that you will not see your score compared to people with similar skills with that type of gun.

The caveat to this are Sanctioned matches. For these, you have to be classified in the division in which you would like to shoot to compete.