The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 3, 2005, 01:19 AM   #26
Lorenzo

Reply from the originator

Gosh lots of information.

The gun is an S/W 637. Steel and Aluminum. Winchester 150 gr. loads were tested in single action fire from a bench rest with my hands rested on table.

After reading the responses I have taken a critical look and the barrel is a tube held in the frame by ? Friction?

Also the front sight seems canted with respect to the rear sight. If this is the case would the factory fix it?

Lorenzo
Old July 3, 2005, 10:33 AM   #27
HSMITH

The barrel is threaded into the frame.

If the front sight is canted S&W will probably fix it. Give them a call.
Old July 3, 2005, 12:25 PM   #28
Jack Weigand

Maybe this will work........

The barrels are not rotated on correctly, that is possible. I have seen plenty of barrels either not cranked on all the way or cranked on over center. On fixed sight revolvers you can change the windage by rotating the barrel on the frame further. If you need to you can do what is called a set back. You can remove the barrel, turn the shoulder back, and rotate the barrel on less or further depending on how much material you remove from the shoulder. This can also give you a chance to fit the cylinder gap a little tighter than factory for a little extra velocity. I hope this has made a little sense anyway, LOL!

http://www.jackweigand.com
Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.
Old July 3, 2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Dave Sample

I would send it back to the factory if it bothers you this much with a detailed letter explaining the problem and let them fix it for you. There are very few smiths I would trust with this kind of work. I know that Jack could do it, but I think the factory would, too. I just do this kind of work now for my own amazement. I gave away most of my S&W revolver tools years ago.
Old July 3, 2005, 02:33 PM   #30
Malamute

"2" SNUBBIE ?? A close parking lot gun at best. I say this because most threats will come at very close range. Fixed sights ? Learn where it shoots and practice within the parameters of 5-7 yards. Only in the movies is a 50 yard shot made with a snubbie...."

I agree that the 2" guns are not as easy to use farther out, AND that the intention is for a close range gun. However, to dismiss them as close range guns ONLY is a mistake. Because the shooter doesnt take the time and effort to get to know them well enough to do good work with them father out does not mean the guns are not capable of doing good work farther out. Accept your own limitations, but please dont infer the guns are not capable. Even with a bit of Kentucky Windage, I've been able to make hits on a 2' square steel plate @ 200 yards with a 2" Centennial. I would have no qualms about trying a 50 yard shot with that particular gun if it seemed necesarry.The guns are quite capable.

Turning the barrel is the proper way to correct windage problems. It is fairly simple to do for one with the proper tools.
(just realized after posting that I hadn't read the second page, and rotating the barrel was covered)
Old July 3, 2005, 02:49 PM   #31
joab

Steve Margaret was a freakishly excellent shot.
The rest of us have to settle for the fact that we are not going to get target accuracy from a snub.

My inclination has always been to completely remove the sights for a more streamline package, haven't done it but I am inclined to.
Old July 4, 2005, 04:00 PM   #32
Lorenzo

Originator replies 2nd time.

Now we are getting somewhere. I will shoot again measure everything and call S/W.

I should have provided the model no. in the first post.

For those who came in with off topic general opinions the writer:

Broke 25 trap targets out of 25, yesterday using an 1100 Remington that has a rib but no sights.

Was a Criminal Investigaor in Germany 1946-48.

In 1946 took about twenty 1911s to a range and shot them until one shot where the sights indicated. Carried that one everywhere for over two years. Due to the "Ike Jacket" was never made.

Was in several tense situations; but no shots fired. Prevented one shooting by pushing his partners gunhand up in the air, telling him we can catch this guy, and proceeded to catch him. Actually Germany was pretty calm those years and this "criminal" had not done anything serious.

Does not like guns that don't shoot where they look. Even a "snubbie" should shoot as well as the holder can shoot. This particular snubbie has a smooth trigger pull when hand cocked.

Has read about Ed Mcgivern. Suggests putting Ed McGivern in Google.

Best Regards,

Lorenzo

Last edited by Lorenzo; July 4, 2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 6, 2005, 10:58 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Also the front sight seems canted with respect to the rear sight. If this is the case would the factory fix it?"

Welcome to the new Smith & Wesson.

Some years ago I was keeping track of how many S&W revolvers had a canted front sight, a "pressure ring" in the bore from being screwed into the frame FAR too tight, or both.

It was running between 30 to 40%. It got so depressing that I quit looking.
Old July 6, 2005, 10:18 PM   #34
Lorenzo

Thanks Much Mike.

Long ago Winchester sighted their rifles in at 100 yds.

1955: I was handed a Winchester rifle by a Native American , Duffy Tyone, a friend at Cantwell Alaska to drop a Caribou at some 350 yds.

This was meat for his family, it was a surprise opportuity!

I assumed that the gun was sighted in by Winchester at 100 yards, and held appropriatly hitting a large Caribou three times.

I truly understand that S/W may screw the barrel in "mas o menos" or whatever and let it go for the buyer to correct. It would cost at least another $50 to shoot and check the impact and that could result in fewer sales making the revover a failure as few revovor owners care about the sight setting for fixed sights as several posts to this site have pointed out.

The later posts recognized the situation and I Now have the info to reach a solution.

Thanks everyone.

Lorenzo----------WWII 3 point Vet.