The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2004, 07:19 PM   #1
jimfrompa

how loud?

if one ever had to use a shotgun indoors for home defense, how loud would it be and what kind of hearing damage would result?
Old December 7, 2004, 07:27 PM   #2
mete

ANY gun fired indoors is very loud. A shot from a 357 indoors for me meant difficulty in hearing anything for 1/2 hour. If you had time to use ear protection do it but often it's a matter of saving your life but sacrificing your ears. But it might cause you problems for subsequent shots , flinching , disorientation etc.
Old December 7, 2004, 09:25 PM   #3
Danindetroit

That is an interesting question. I wonder if a set of those hunting hearing protectors, that amplify sound to hear the badguy, then eletronically quiet firearms reports, should be on the HD to get list. It would be a shame to have a BG sneak up on you after wasting his bud.
Old December 7, 2004, 09:30 PM   #4
jimfrompa

i get the feeling that a short-barreled shotgun is the best choice for home defense, but i don't want to go deaf if i ever have to use one!

(especially if it takes more than one shot to end the fight).
Old December 7, 2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Fen

I fired a 9mm inside a run down adobe house once. Several rounds in fact. It wasn't unbearable but my ears were certainly ringing afterwards. I'm not sure I would do the same with a shotty or my 44mag. Might as well be playing soccer with a FlashBang grenade.
Old December 7, 2004, 10:57 PM   #6
esldude

Fired an AK-47 indoors once. Just one shot. Was stunningly loud. As in it stunned me a moment or two. My hearing was effected in a manner very much like the sound effect used at the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" during the beach landing. You can hear, but it is swimmy and muffled. Things seem distant because of it.

I would think a shotgun would be a good deal louder.
Indoors that may be enough to stun most people at least for a few seconds. Can only be worse on the other end of the barrel too.
Old December 8, 2004, 12:46 AM   #7
Avizpls

Not indoors, but I know what the "swimmy" sound is. I was standing next to a babbling brook at my house, fired, and the babling turned into a roaring rapids about 1 mile away.

Try that. Focus in on a sound, then fire, and see what it sounds like now...
Old December 8, 2004, 12:54 AM   #8
Danindetroit

What is the best way to stop hearing damage to family, and maybe pets, dwn comforter over thier head, hand over ears? How about person doing the protecting?
Old December 8, 2004, 08:55 AM   #9
dfaugh

Really Really Loud

Shooting pidgeons in my barn (without hearing protection), noted that .22 was noticably louder (and this in a pretty large open space, with lots of sound absorbing material). At the range I shoot at the benches are enclosed on 3 sides, and roof, of course, and (with hearing protection) my guns seem at least twice as loud as when I shoot out back in my woods, if not more....I'd think a 12 guage in a 10x12 room would be STUNNING to say the least...And its a good point...after the 1st shot you probably won't be able to here s**t...so what about the other BG moving around the house (assuming he wasn't close enough to be deafened, too).....Hmmmmmmmmmmm

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 8, 2004, 11:32 AM   #10
ampleworks

To me, my XD is louder than any of my shotguns and this little Jennings 22 that someone gave me is even louder than that. I'd shoot a shotgun indoors over my XD anyday though.

Something to do with the concussion maybe, higher chamber pressure making the sound pressure louder?

Hell someone is in my house, I don't give a **** about the noise because it'll either be them or me and I definately don't plan on it being me!
Old December 9, 2004, 03:39 PM   #11
partyguy816

Shooting a shotgun in doors for self defense won't hurt your ears. Your adrenaline will be pumping and that will be the last thing you will think about.
Old December 9, 2004, 05:39 PM   #12
sageowl

Shooting anything indoors will wake you up to say the least. Depending on the adrenaline the intensity of the effect may vary, but it certainly will be there. In theory, the electronic hearing protection is a good idea, but realistically its not very practical, as it will slow you down fumbling with it assuming you remember it in the first place. What was mentioned earlier about the family's hearing protection, I'd focus my plan more on getting them out or getting them to where you can cover them (and, ideally, not shoot them in the darkness and confusion). So with that said, it's going to be a sizeable boom any way you look at it, so get the gun that works for you and familiarize yourself with the noise in whatever way you see fit without deafening yourself.