The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2004, 06:48 PM   #1
strange246

Aguila mini-shells

Went to the range today and decided to try out the box of Aguila 12ga mini-slugs I bought at the last gun show I was at, put them through my Winchester Defender 1300 which they claim will work "Flawlessly".....Worst $10 I ever spent, recoil was alot less and accuracy was great but every other round wouldn't eject all the way unless I yanked the fore-end back as fast as I could, and the first time I short shucked it just a little it locked it up for 10 minutes while I tried to get 2 shells out of the reciever...Overall I'd never buy them again unless it was for a single shot shotgun or maybe to teach someone without scaring them with recoil....

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old November 7, 2004, 07:41 PM   #2
steveno

I thought I had read somewhere that a shotgun designed specifically made for them to work. as short as the round is I would have thought some work have to be done to the shotgun to work with them
Old November 7, 2004, 07:59 PM   #3
strange246

Here's what their site says...

"Early in our development work it was clear that this new round would hardly cycle semi-automatics while also having difficulties in feeding some pump action shotguns flawlessly. This lead us to consider the development of a weapons system which would include a new shotgun (more about this later) especially designed for the MINISHELL. In the meantime, after some testing we realized that the WINCHESTER™ 1300 series cycle MINISHELLS flawlessly (12 rds in an 18" bbl "Defender"); MOSSBERGS™ and REMINGTONS™ needed a minor modification in their elevators to produce similar results."

Old November 7, 2004, 07:59 PM   #4
joab

Thier website says that the only gun that they could get to consistantly work with the rounds was a 1300.
Not that any 1300 with work with these rounds . They also caution that the rounds will not work consistantly in any pumpgun not specifically made for them.
Old November 7, 2004, 09:13 PM   #5
Casp_A

About the only legitimate use I've ever seen for those is in Mad Max style box-lock SBS's.

Does that even count as legitimate?
Old November 7, 2004, 09:20 PM   #6
strange246

I think they'd be fun for plinking in a double barrel shotgun, but I wouldn't trust them in anything else, that said I have an old stevens single shot thats been cut down to minimum legal lenth, they'd be ok in that as full power loads tend to get painful in it

Old November 8, 2004, 11:13 AM   #7
bubbygator

My HD shottie is a Stoeger coach gun. I have a 5-loop shell holder on the butt that holds a mini-shell in the top & one in the bottom of each loop. So I pick up my gun & have 12 shots at-hand. The mini-shells shoot & pattern OK - particularly within 15 yards, but if you want to use slugs be sure you know your gun's barrel characteristics.
Old November 8, 2004, 03:58 PM   #8
OrangeSkies

Well, they didn't work worth a damn in my 1300 Winchester...
Old November 8, 2004, 08:20 PM   #9
gifted

Quote:
About the only legitimate use I've ever seen for those is in Mad Max style box-lock SBS's.
I read in a gun rag about some guy who made one of those for it. Though I'm inclined to say Max's was perhaps a smaller gauge. I don't have Road Warrior(I think it was) available to look it up.
Old November 8, 2004, 10:49 PM   #10
Casp_A

Quote:
I read in a gun rag about some guy who made one of those for it.
Yea, there was an article, in Rifleman I believe, about the author making a ".72 Magnum handcannon" from a Baikal SxS 12g. He said the recoil with full-power loads was vicious to the point of injury, but that the Mini-Shells seemed made for it. That's kind of where I was coming from in my earlier post.
Old December 16, 2004, 09:13 PM   #11
bobby1028

Don' feel badabout the 10 bucks you spent...I bought 3 boxes and wasted 30 bucks!!!