The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 27, 2014, 01:11 PM   #1
rtrout

j stevens favorite 22lr worn parts

I just got a J Stevens Arms Favorite, 22lr, model 1915, sn. 774. It has some obvious ware, including a leather butt bad rather then metal. My question is, when the hammer is down the lever flops. About 3/16" from the lower tang. When in half cock possition that space doubles to about 3/8" gap. When in full cock the lever falls away completly, allowing the block to drop away as well. Is this normal, or is something broken or worn out real bad?

I did notice a grove in the ejector where the firing pin rides against, that seams deeper and longer then normal. The link, the part that connects the block and lever may also be worn. Not sure. When I action the lever the hammer only goes to half cock, not full cock firing possition. Is that also normal?

So, if these parts or other parts are worn allowing the lever to fall way, where can I find replacements, and what to replace? I have looked online and only found several broken links, and poor web sites that have no useful or complete information.

This use to be my grandfathers, then my dads, now mine. I would like to get it in good working condition and pass it on to the next generation. And safe as well. From what I found online the collectors value is not great, from $250 - $300. My guess is the lower or even lower, around $150-200.

Thanks for any help.
Old April 27, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2
nemesiss45

I cant help with what is wrong. I've never even opened up a lever gun, so if I were to guess, it would be the blind leading the blind.

I can point you toward parts though. I always go to Numrich first if I need parts for a vintage or antique firearm. I think this is the right section for your gun:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...1915-39891.htm

if they don't have what you need, sometimes ebay can be helpful.

good luck with your project though. even if the gun is not worth a lot, I think it is great to bring family guns back into working order.
Old April 27, 2014, 02:23 PM   #3
nemesiss45

I also found this to consider:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...f=165&t=115740

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-lever-droop

both mention the pins being an issue. maybe something to look at.
Old April 27, 2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Frank DeHaas said what you see is normal.
A worn Favorite will let the lever droop.
Some had one or another device to hold it, but most just depended on the over center lockup of a new breechblock and barrel breech face.
When that was worn, the only thing holding the lever up is the shooter's hand. Which it does in normal firing position.

Going only to half cock on swinging the lever is normal.

DeHaas said the usual Favorite tuneup was to replace the link pins and maybe the lever and block screws. He did not mention replacing the link itself but I guess one could get worn more than new pins would fix.

Naturally the barrel should be in good shape, with good bore and un-battered chamber mouth.
Old April 28, 2014, 09:39 PM   #5
rtrout

thanks for all the replies. I will be checking into these sites. and looking for parts.

Tags
favorite , stevens