The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
robhic

Beretta 92S Hammer Spring Replace

OK, this looked like it should be simple enough. Knock out the pin holding the cap/lanyard loop and carefully remove, replace spring and re-assemble. BUT .... The heel-mounted magazine release on this older pistol seems to be in the way!

I looked all over YouTube and could only find 92FS pistols being worked on with the release up around the trigger guard. The 'S' model is the only one not included.

Are anyone of you gents familiar with this spring replacement? I have the pin out but something is still retaining the cap and lanyard loop - or so it seems. The assembly moves a bit but won't come out.

Tried pushing the release, twisting the cap, pulling. etc. It won't come out. I'm guessing there has got to be a way to make the mag release let the assy. move more than just a tiny bit side-to-side. Help? Thanks!!!
Old May 18, 2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Why would you replace the main spring?
Old May 19, 2017, 09:14 AM   #3
robhic

Number 1 it's 30-40 years old. Gun is vintage 80's I believe (same for new spring in magazine...).

Number 2 I'm using a lower weight (13#) spring to lighten the trigger at the same time.

The mag release is in the way. Do you know how to remove it?
Old May 19, 2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Springs don't generally wear out.
A lighter spring probably won't have much effect (if any) on your trigger pull.
Sorry- I don't know how to remove the mag safety.
Old May 19, 2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Bill:
Berettas are very commonly "spring engineered" to reduce the typically tough double action first shot. A 1911 mainspring will fit. If you want to stay all Beretta, use a 92D mainspring meant for the DAO version.

rob:
It is a $3 bet as to whether it shows it as far down as getting out the mainspring, but it is all I can find so far. Nothing free, not even on Steve's Pages.
https://www.amazon.com/Digest-Berett.../dp/B006PHZ5EI
Old May 19, 2017, 03:15 PM   #6
JoeSixpack

Im not sure did the 92s use the heavier F spring?

"A lighter spring probably won't have much effect (if any) on your trigger pull."
But otherwise ya.. swapping to a D spring actually DOES make a difference.
Super common modification for F/FS guns these days.

Im not sure how to remove the mag catch, Honestly I would have assumed the roll pin held the lanyard in like on current models.

I don't have any heal release 92's

I was able to find a schematic for the original 92, very rough quality it looks like there might possibly be a small pin holding the head of the mag release on. (part# 44)

http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/thesmokingun/EV/b92.jpg

If you can't find an answer here I guarantee you (or your money back) you can find the answer over at the Beretta Forum.
There is such a collective wealth of knowledge over there especially on the 92 it's unbelievable.
Old May 19, 2017, 03:46 PM   #7
WVsig

92s uses the heavier mainspring. I replaced mine. It will lighten the trigger pull. Most people do not have light strike issues but it can occur. IIRC there is a second roll pin to get the lanyard ring out. USA models have a dog bone instead of the roll pin. Many people replace the Italian roll pin with the dog bone.

Lining the roll pin up and getting it reassembled is hard. IIRC I used a smaller roll pin to hold it in place and used the pin to knock it out. Ask over at the Beretta forum and they will tell how to get it done.

Last edited by WVsig; May 19, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2017, 03:52 PM   #8
robhic

Quote:
I was able to find a schematic for the original 92, very rough quality it looks like there might possibly be a small pin holding the head of the mag release on. (part# 44)
Thank you for that! Yes it's a bit hard to read but between that diagram and an online friend who is a professional gunsmith, that got what I needed!

Part #44 is indeed a pin (and small is an understatement!!!) to hold it together.

The 92S has a long(er) cap and lanyard ring with a hole in it for the mag-release to pass through. The release body/shaft has a spring over it and a "donut-looking" bushing over IT. That tiny pin holds it all together and with the pin out, the cap comes out. YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!

I've seen mention of the "D-Spring" but I wonder if it would work here. My cap/lanyard ring is longer than newer models plus has that hole through it.

I got the #13 spring in and a small finishing nail to replace part #44 because it was very hard to get back in due to deformation from removal, size and me only having 2 hands!

I Dremeled the ends of the nail flat and all back together. Trigger is lighter and I like it. But MAN, it's a job!!!

Thanks Joe and Jim for the info. Now I know how to change the spring. Although as much of a PITA it is, I doubt I'd ever do it again!
Old May 19, 2017, 03:58 PM   #9
robhic

Quote:
92s uses the heavier mainspring. I replaced mine. It will lighten the trigger pull. Most people do not have light strike issues but it can occur. IIRC there is a second roll pin to get the lanyard ring out. USA models have a dog bone instead of the roll pin. Many people replace the Itilian roll pin with the dog bone.

Or a small finishing nail!
See my other post. But you are right a SMALL roll-pin holds it together. And the trigger IS a bit lighter now. I am just hoping light strikes aren't an issue. I AIN'T EVER DOING THAT AGAIN!!!!! Thanks for the info.