The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 10, 2017, 06:49 PM   #1
mj246

First Semi-Auto!!

Well after shooting for over seven years, I finally picked up a semi-auto handgun! A Ruger American Pistol Pro in 45acp. So far I am super pleased. I hadn't even handled the 45 version before, but I found a great deal and since one of my revolvers is 45acp too, I thought it would be a good range toy and home defense option to add to my humble collection.

I Haven't fired it yet, but it fits my hand extremely well despite being a full size big bore gun. Love the ambidextrous mag release because I have really short thumbs that have trouble with nearly any duty size handgun. Now I can just use my index finger instead. Trigger reach is perfect with both size grips. I can't wait to get it out to the range and start putting it through its paces.

Old May 10, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Vulcannut

Nice - I have the 9mm version and really like it. I plan on getting the compact version in 45 at some point and maybe the 9mm. I would get them all if $$ allowed it.

I have had no issues with mine at all. Very easy to shoot and accurate.

Have fun with it.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Martowski

Congratulations and welcome to the world of semi-autos. Ruger makes a great product; I'm sure this will serve you well!
Old May 10, 2017, 08:36 PM   #4

Congrats!

It should serve you well for many years.
Old May 11, 2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations! I haven't shot a RAP, but the ones I've held certainly felt good in the hand.
Old May 11, 2017, 07:10 AM   #6
keithdog

Congrats on the new pistol. I'd love to shoot one of those some day.
Old May 11, 2017, 08:00 AM   #7
g.willikers

Since you mention home defense,
Not to belabor the point, (oops, too late), the most important thing, especially with auto loaders, is training.
How to effectively and quickly deal with malfunctions especially.
And they will happen.
No big deal if you are prepared, though.
Very different than revolvers and something that can make all the difference in a life or death situation.
At the very least, check out the videos on youtube from Clint Smith, Jerry Miculek, Mike Seeklander, Todd Jarrett, and others on this subject and other associate ones.
Just a thought.
Old May 11, 2017, 05:17 PM   #8
DaleA

Looking forward to your range report.

And congrats on getting it in one of the all time great, iconic, American cartridges, the .45 ACP! Which, IMhO, just might be the easiest, most forgiving cartridge on the planet to reload.

Good luck.
Old May 11, 2017, 07:34 PM   #9
mj246

Thanks everybody!

G.Willikers: I 100% agree with the need to be trained and prepared for the different functions and possible failures/malfunctions with semis vs revolvers. It's definitely not replacing my Bulldog for that role (if it ever does) until I have gotten some range time, practice, and am confident with it.

Thank you for the video ideas. I'll be giving some of those a look in the near future.
Old May 12, 2017, 02:55 PM   #10
mj246

So I made it to the range today and the RAP shoots perfectly! It put about 40 rounds of Federal aluminum and 20 rounds of WWB through it with no malfunctions. Accuracy was good and I even got one of five shots at 50 yards into the 9 ring of a 12" target. That won't win any competitions, but it is really good for me. This thing is a keeper and I may even have to look into a compact 9mm one someday. I'd say my only complaint is how hard it is to get more than 7 rounds into the magazine by hand, but I'm sure I'll get a loading tool sometime to alleviate that.
Old May 12, 2017, 03:11 PM   #11
DaleA

Thanks for the range report. Sounds like it was a good time.
Lots of folk, including myself really like the following loader, an Uplula:

https://www.amazon.com/Up-LULA-Sig-S...s=uplula&psc=1
Old May 14, 2017, 01:26 PM   #12
IMightBeWrong

Congrats on your first! It probably won't be your last! Get training for sure, but there's a lot of free info on YouTube as well that I would look for. Search for pistol grip videos, proper trigger press, recoil management, and of course safety rules and build up a bit of a base of knowledge prior to training. I would recommend starting old school with Jeff Cooper on the surprise break and Travis Haley's handgun grip video. You're already hitting the range, these tidbits will help right away while you square away money for training.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:39 PM   #13
DanPop

I bet the compact version in .45 is a handful.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380