The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2001, 10:12 AM   #1
Dead

Are these any good? I have seen one that is tricked out alittle (looks just like a Stainless Kimber Custom), and the cost is about 400 out the door... Good Price/Good Pistol?
Old February 26, 2001, 10:18 AM   #2
Coop57

I shot one of the new .45s last week and it seemed ok. However I would be suspect of its ability to hold up. Usually you get what you pay for, and this seems to be very true in handguns.
I've been to the Phillipines several times and I would think long and hard before buying anything manufactured there, especially a handgun.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old February 26, 2001, 04:46 PM   #3
Rob96

These are truly decent guns. I own one and have 800 rounds thru it, 700 FMJ and 100 Hydrashok, without a problem. Seems the only problem with them can be a loose firing pin stop and the extractors can be a little brittle, can't tune them. The gun is amazingly accurate and the frame and slide show no nothing but normal wear marks, no soft steel. All in all I rate it to be a good deal.
Old February 26, 2001, 06:21 PM   #4
Joe D

Best buy in a 1911 out there. They have continued to improve their quality. The current models are being replaced by an "Enhanced" model. Double diamond wooden grips and a Novak "style" rear sight. Should be available in April. I have done 10+ trigger jobs on CDs and for the most part have found them to have pretty correct dimensions. I have had to replace the sears on half of them and the disconnect on two. The extractors are brittle and FP stops on some are loose. I have seen one extractor break in service. I am waiting on the Enhanced model.
Old February 26, 2001, 08:09 PM   #5
gryphon

Bought one a few weeks ago. Have 100 rounds through it, will have another hundred through it tomorrow. So far it seems top notch. Warm Bore shot it along side his Kimber and said that it is comperable. $400 is about right, but if you look around, I bet you could find it cheaper. I got mine(blued version) for $370 out the door. The stainless was $380(this is all after tax and such).

It had a few FTF's but that was because of the factory magazines. You get 2 and they are both 8 round. The gun functions fine if you only load the mag with 7. The spring tension is too high otherwise and the 2nd round tried to chamber before the spent brass is ejected. The USA magazines that my buddy had did not lock the slide back on last shot, but it failed on his Kimber as well. His Kimber mags worked fine in the CD.

It's got it's quirks, same as any other 1911. So far well worth the price.
Old February 26, 2001, 09:29 PM   #6
Navy joe

I've complained about these before. I owned a commander length gun, nice looking, but cheap finish. Never truly reliable with any mag and always using factory hardball. Inferior metallurgy, extractor broke at 3000 rds, replaced w/ GI, at 4000+ the bushing and ambi safety were cracked, I'm still undecided what went wrong w/ their heat treats, some parts broke like they were too hard, improperly tempered, some of it seemed like low-carbon steel that was case hardened. The barrel didn't exactly mate up w/ the slide lugs, other minor things. The Mf rate was about 2-3 per 50. If you get one, consider it a range beater, shoot the hell out of it then sell!
Old February 27, 2001, 05:19 AM   #7
Rob96

The enhanced ones with the Novak sitesand other improvements are already available. Local shop has them in stainless for $419.
Old February 27, 2001, 07:28 AM   #8
Joe D

Rob, did you see a carbon steel one? I was told another month for these.
Old February 27, 2001, 11:09 AM   #9
chink

I have had one since May of 1999. This is one of the earlier ones that are supposed to be unreliable and poor quality.
Quality seems good. but with my gun and I suspect some of the other earlier guns, the cut some corners and so my front sight wasn't attached well. Could have sent it back to them to fix it, but it was easier to have a smith at a local shop do it for $20

Reliablity. I haven't had a problem after first 200 rds. It mangles the last round out of the magazine when it ejects it, but that hasn't caused the gun to jam. And its been doing that for 2000+ round.

Hope that helps
Old February 27, 2001, 01:47 PM   #10
Cyric13

Got mine about a year ago and have had no problems, except with the chaep mags that came with the gun, then I got some Wilson Combat's. I also changd the recoil and firing pin springs and the firing pin stop. Great gun for the money.

Cyric
Old February 27, 2001, 01:52 PM   #11
Nightcrawler

I have one...

The 4" model. It's been less than reliable. The performance is up and down. Somedays it's okay, somedays the slide doesn't want to go all the way forward after each shot. That was using 220gr hardball ammo. I've also shot 200gr SWC through it (reloads), and its performance was acceptable, but not ideal. I think it needs a better spring. I only paid 360 for it, though.
Old February 27, 2001, 03:17 PM   #12
Warm Bore

Well, there's always something better no matter what price you pay...

Baer is better than Wilson is better than Kimber is better than Springfield is better than Daly is better than Firestorm. This can be said about any popular line of guns. But with 1911's, "bang for the buck" to me is disproportionate. I found Gryphon's Daly to be every bit as capable as my Kimber at almost half the price. Even if he eventually needs some minor replacements on things like extractors or springs, he'll still be ahead of the game. But I'm inclined to agree with Joe D. This is the best buy in 1911's right now. As the Daly line of 1911's is relatively new, only time will tell if they'll hold up. I'm betting they will.

Regards,

Warm Bore