The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Poconolg

Rest or Bipod

Which is better for shooting good groups a Rest or Bipod. I have a Caldwell rest which I use for benchrest. I also use rear bags. I was wondering if a Harris bipod might be better. On a good day I shoot in the 4's and on a bad day in the low 6's
Old February 15, 2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Reloadron

Matter of personal choice but in general I prefer my Wichita Rifle Rest over my lead sled or using a bi pod on my rifles. That rest combined with the Protektor Small Owl Ear Bag for my rifle's fore end and the Protektor Bunny Ear Rear Bag work out well for me. Again, just a matter of personal choice.

Ron
Old February 15, 2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Mike38

A lot of people claim better (tighter) groups from a quality rest over a bi-pod. Personally, I get the same sized groups from either, but do get a different point of impact.
Old February 15, 2017, 11:38 PM   #4
JeepHammer

Depends entirely on the situation.
Most field military shooters prefer a butt pack or sand sock whenever they can use one.

Using bipod on hard surfaces, particularly with heavy recoil calibers, can cause issues,
Bipods can 'Cantilever' from recoil and throw the shot.

As a military shooter, when Harris bipods became available, we used to 'Push' or 'Pull' on the legs to add/subtract elevation, the bipod equalivent of squeezing the sand sock...

Stiff little bipod legs have a tendency to bounce making it a little more difficult to get right back on target or see where the shot splashed.

It's up to you, some people don't want to cart around a bag/rest, others don't want a bipod hanging off the rifle.

In my experience, a SOFT bag or rest works better on hard surfaces, benches, rocks, etc.
While bipods work better on soft surfaces, dirt, sand, vegetation, sand bags, etc.
Old February 16, 2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Longshot4

The Bench Rest is how rifle cartages are tested. Due to its ability to stabilize for accuracy. That is what it is all about. As far as I know a bi-pod is a very stable shooting tool in a prone position... It is well suited for field use. Of course I do believe a person should learn to adapt to the situation.

To be able to stand without the added equipment is a greater challenge. All though If the weapon is not capable in producing required accuracy from a bench... It would be just a poor guess to know where the bullet would land at a given distance.

I like to believe that learning how to adapt to the condition to hit a target from several positions would make a good marksmen of course.

Take a kid out and show him or her how to shoot from a bench first. That will give them the understanding how to use the rifle to hit a target. Then teach the prone position and move on from there.

What do you think?
Old February 16, 2017, 02:05 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Bipods are not as stable as a mechanical rest. Sand bags beat both hands down.
Old February 16, 2017, 02:30 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

In my experience sandbags at the range work best for accuracy, out in the field I use whatever is available. Bipods are great tools in the right places. Killed many many ground squirrels 200 yds out with a 2 foot bipod on a 22-250 sitting behind it.
Old February 16, 2017, 05:57 PM   #8
old roper

I have couple rest also bipods. I've shot varmints using bipods and rear bag but never for groups off a bench. Rest I have let me shoot more free recoil and light hold for some others and mag rifles.
NRA Life Member
Old February 17, 2017, 10:39 AM   #9
JeepHammer

I have to admit it, sand sock or sandbag, both my benches have a couple healthy sandbags on them, and both have a bag of lead shot on them.

*IF* you are going to carry that bag around very much, consider something like 'AirSoft' plastic pellets instead of something really heavy.

Only one has a couple different kinds of (mechanical) rests, which I rarely use (the reason they are rusting).

'Bench' shooters wouldn't know anything about this
I learned from military field shooting, stuff your bags with beans or rice,
When the mission goes long you still have food!
And the rifle doesn't know the difference between sand & rice,
and the 'Sock' doesn't care there is a plastic bag in there!

Beans & rice are lighter than sand, ounces equal pounds & pounds equal pain for field shooters.

Old time shooters used to use 'Hard Rice', kind of a varnish on the rice, don't know if it was done by some manufacturer or grew that way naturally, lighter than sand or shot and worked just as well without rotting.

About 35 years ago a military rigger made me some 'Sand Socks' out of heavy nylon canvas, about 4" in diameter and 5" long, strap across one end, I still use them, handy as all get out! I didn't know at the time they would be this handy this many years down the road...

One of the LEATHER bag companies makes a stiff, heavy leather version of that little bag, round & overstuffed it doesn't quite settle the rifle in like the nylon version does...

Last edited by JeepHammer; February 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM.