The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1
skizzums

600 bucks on an investment(even if it is a consumable)

i went by the powder shop yesterday and picked up a few pounds at pre last year prices. I was happy to have what I needed for a few months. THEN, I went scope shopping at a couple LGS today, just to window sop and then figure out what I would really buy online. they had 8 pounds of powder at my favorite "GUN" shop, not accessory or ammo cause they are a rip-off. anyways, they had 4227 and 4064, can you guess how much per pound??? 38$ for 4064 and 41$ for 4227.......-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-!?!? I understand economics, and I understand these guys can do what they want. I explained to the guy that I just bought the same powders for less than 25$ per pound. he stated "not in this day and age!", I said "to the contrary, this was yesterday afternoon. are you guys realy getting people to pay these prices?" he said, right no, this is all we have because the rest was sold......I though, holy cow, whats wrong with people. there is a powder store about 20 minutes away the sells for 28$ a pound for IMR and I thought that was too high. about 30 minutes west is GA Arms and they are selling all powders for 22-26$ dollars a pound. so I thought, screw it, if this is the wy things are going to get around here, I better just take the plunge. I bought my scope BTW, very nice 4-18x and made the trip back to Ga Arms which is about a 30 minute drive. I figure i'll just make one purchase and be done for the year.
buy once. 610$ out-the-door. I hope the young buck didn't get in trouble though, after he rang it all up, I was about to pay and I asked that he go back and grab one more HP38, and in the midst he forgot to add the sales tax. I didn't notice either or I would have said something.

I WILL end up needing some more 4064 in the next year, and I wish the had more HS-6 although not 100% necessary , but I think I walked away with enough hp and TG to last me probably 3 years honestly. I only load 9mm and 38spl with it and one pound last in excess of 2000 rounds. it was a good chuck of change, but man the piece of mind will be well worth it, plus I still have about 10# of various powders left in my basement. good luck out there, and when you see it for a fair price....BUY IT, its not going to get cheaper in the future I bet. I see the gouging starting again now that supply is returning.

what good finds have you guys come across this month with the return of our elusive "pistol" powders

p.s. why does the exact same Winchester powders as Hodgdon's cost 1$ more?, weird
Old March 3, 2015, 05:17 PM   #2
ragwd

That is beautiful picture!!
Old March 3, 2015, 05:29 PM   #3
kerreckt

Congratulations on your new stock. I have always kept plenty of primers and powder around. I like to have at least 3-5 years supply at all times. Keeps me shooting and out of trouble while riding out the bumps of supply and demand. Best wishes
Old March 3, 2015, 07:29 PM   #4
BigJimP

I've seen a lot more powder available in the last month ...than in the last 2 years...

I've been very lucky recently to pick up 30 lbs of Hodgdon TiteGroup ...which is my primary powder in handguns for 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag.....( and that 30 lbs will last me close to 18 months )...

I expect to see a lot more Unique, Hodgdon Universal and Hodgdon Clays in the next 3 - 6 months ...
Old March 3, 2015, 09:40 PM   #5
sawdustdad

Quote:
30 lbs will last me close to 18 months
That's a lot of shootin'

Well, on second thought, probably only about 500 rds/week. Not so much after all.

The recent run on 5.56 ammo (LGSs around here are all sold out--not just M855, but all M193 as well) is a lesson in planning. A simple threat from the gub'ment makes a common product disappear from store shelves.

I've been laying in primers, bullets, powder, etc. for all my guns. I still have more purchases to ensure a suitable supply.

Last edited by sawdustdad; March 3, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
midst he forgot to add the sales tax.
Somehow, I doubt the governor really needs it.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:35 PM   #7
skizzums

trust me, I don' feel bad about not paying uncle sam, but I know the LGS is going to have to pay that tax regardless.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Nick_C_S

5 lbs of HP-38 - nice.

It would seem that things have eased more in some parts of the country compared to sunny northern California. It's till pretty tight around here.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:18 AM   #9
skizzums

it was tight around here as well. I went to a half dozen places in the last month, since the internet buzz was all saying "its back!!!". I couldn't find a lick, I took a chance with Ga Arms, but I guess since they are a pretty major remanned ammo company, they probably are higher up on the list than most folks. they had cases and cases of HP38. I should honestly probably get even more just for folks that need it
Old March 6, 2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Peter M. Eick

I like the look in 8 lb jugs better.....
Old March 6, 2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Chaz88

Quote:
I see the gouging starting again now that supply is returning.
If supply goes up it should push the prices down. Gouging is hard to do unless supplies are low or the retailers all work together to manipulate the market.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old March 6, 2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Machineguntony

Skizzums, you really need to cool it with the hoarding! Makes it hard for us...uh...powder collectors.
Old March 6, 2015, 06:14 PM   #13
skizzums

Me....look at that 8 pounder guy I wish I could afford to be a hoarded though, I would in a second. Especially with 4064 and h322, that stuff sure goes fast.

Hey peter, I don't know if those jigs are full, but you seem to be over the legal limit, might not wanna post that publicly
Old March 6, 2015, 06:38 PM   #14
Machineguntony

Exactly. Way over the limit. That's why I never keep more than two spoonfuls of powder under my bed at any time.

Skizzums, if I were you, I wouldn't use the Lil'Gun. That's a cool looking bottle and too collectible to use. The IMR bottles are just ugly; like no imagination and no design effort.

Come on, IMR company!
Old March 6, 2015, 07:50 PM   #15
skizzums

ahhhh lil' gun, the greatest powder ever for a lightweight 300blk round. the only powder in the world that can get me over 2300fps outta an 8" barrel. gotta love it, wish I had more

22.5gr lil' gun, CCI mag primer
100gr Lapua "cutting edge" .308
2344fps
Old March 17, 2015, 10:35 AM   #16
fotog54

p.s. why does the exact same Winchester powders as Hodgdon's cost 1$ more?, weird

Check the Hodgdon weight! You might find it says 14oz instead of 16 or 7/8 of a pound!

Just picked up a couple of bottles of Titewad that were 14oz.
Old March 17, 2015, 12:45 PM   #17
sawdustdad

A few powders come in less than a 1 lb measure, presumably due to lower density that can still fit in the traditional 1 lb bottle--Nitro 100, Trail Boss, 800x (maybe?), Titewad, maybe some others.

HP-38 and W231 both come in 1 lb measures. There may well be a brand royalty payment to Winchester for use of the name? Just guessing.
Old March 18, 2015, 01:29 PM   #18
Metal god

Quote:
and that 30 lbs will last me close to 18 months
My math says that's around 35,000 rounds

65 rounds a day

460 every weekend

1,900+ a month

At first that quote seems way out of touch but when you look at the numbers . It's very possible .

That's still a lot of shooting

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 18, 2015, 08:57 PM   #19
Road_Clam

I'm investing now in my future happy retirement :

And the retirement stash of live surplus ammo is at an undisclosed location....