The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 5, 2014, 04:20 PM   #26
CTS

Yes, they had the M4 contract and Colt still had the M16 contract. Apparently now Colt has lost that to FN as well.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:38 PM   #27
SVTCobra306

I think you have that backwards.. FN had the M16 contract, and Colt kept the M4 contract longer.

All but one M16A2 or A4 I was ever issued was made by FN. The one Colt M16A2 I was issued was in Germany, and it was probably an 80's vintage rifle.

Every M4 I handled was made by Colt.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old January 5, 2014, 04:53 PM   #28
CTS

OK, so I'm a little dyslexic but still, the question was, If Colt is the standard from which all others are measured just because of the TDP, then where does FN fit in?
Old January 5, 2014, 05:05 PM   #29
semi_problomatic

I'm sorry CTS, I missed your point about melonited barrels... Which of the two rifles comes with a melonited barrel? Neither? Oh, so you had no point. I'm well aware of the benefits of nitriding a barrel. MY ar has a superior barrel. NEITHER of the two rifles listed has melonited barrels. Chrome lined barrels take abuse and can handle sustained rapid fire better than chrome moly barrels. These are the only two types being compared, so does the barrel made of unobtanium on the some other company's rifle really matter? No? Great then, moving on.

Who cares if colt or fn or s&w blah blah blah. The OP only asked about the le6920 and the RRA elite operator.

Why colt is/isn't/could be the best/worst company and who has what contract isn't relevant as we're not advising to buy stock.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:29 PM   #30
CTS

Quote:
I'm sorry CTS, I missed your point about melonited barrels... Which of the two rifles comes with a melonited barrel? Neither? Oh, so you had no point.
No I definitely had a point, like you said, you just missed it. No, neither of the barrels in question are listed as being nitrided. The point is that chrome lining is not the be all and end all of barrels for preventing wear as some (mentioning no names) here tried to imply. There are much better ways of prolonging barrel life. That is all I was trying to say. You don't really know what RRA does to their barrels because they don't seem to go too deeply into specs. Just because they say they are 4150 CM doesn't mean they are not nitrided. If I'm not mistaken, DTI also uses nitrided barrels but they don't mention that. They just list them as 4140CM.

Quote:
Who cares if colt or fn or s&w blah blah blah. The OP only asked about the le6920 and the RRA elite operator.

Why colt is/isn't/could be the best/worst company and who has what contract isn't relevant as we're not advising to buy stock.
Why don't you tell that to the person who claimed that Colt was the standard to which al other rifles are judged? Why are you getting on my case? I'm not the one that made such a statement. Someone made a statement and I was responding to it. That is how adults have conversations. Maybe you should just watch and learn instead of being such a smart alec.

Last edited by CTS; January 5, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:47 PM   #31
semi_problomatic

Who said chrome lined was the end all? And apparently you've never looked into buying a RRA. I did, talked to the distributer. It helps if you know what you're talking about. Their barrels arn't nitrided, fyi. Then again, you didn't know that...so I'm still waiting for the relevance of nitrided barrels in a discussion between two guns that doesn't offer them...?

Colts are the yard stick to which all rifles are measured. Even BCM, DD...anyone who claims to use milspec parts or parts that exceed milspec are using colt to measure themself against.

I'm not saying colt is the best. Or great or bad. Them's just the breaks kid. I'm not even saying milspec is good or bad.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:59 PM   #32
CTS

Talk about not knowing what you are talking about!
Quote:
Colts are the yard stick to which all rifles are measured. Even BCM, DD...anyone who claims to use milspec parts are using colt to measure themself against.
The military set the standards. Colt had to adhere to them. Colt didn't set any standards. They were given a set of standards (military specifications) that had to be adhered to and that is what they did. I never said RRA was nitrided did I? So, you called the distributor and he told you they weren't, so what. Distributors are just salesmen anyway, they don't know everything. The distributor doesn't even work for RRA, I am a Stag distributor but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about a Stag. That was never the point to begin with. I never once said there was anything wrong with a Colt. They are not, just because of the prancing pony on the side of them, necessarily the best there is. If you want to sit around having straw man arguments then have them with someone else. Again, I was responding to the specific person who made a specific statement and we were having an adult conversation until you got involved.
Obviously you would rather have a stupid flame war than an intelligent conversation so I am done here.

Last edited by CTS; January 5, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 06:28 PM   #33
semi_problomatic

Flame war? Really?

Why don't you cool your heels and read what was written.

If you want to justify your internet expertise by saying a rifle that doesn't have a nitrided barrel might have one because it doesn't say they don't, go right ahead. But thats a bit foolish. If you want to seem like an adult, don't get all defensive when someone points out the irrelevance of your argument.

Who owns the TDP? Would that be colt? Yes, yes it would.

Whenever post come up about AR's there is always "my xxx rifle is (just as good as a colt)(better than a colt)(milspec like a colt)" etc.

Again, I'm not saying colts are the best, or better. They've just been around so long that they really are the yardstick to which AR's are compared.

Without knowing what the OP wants out of the rifle there is no clear "better" choice.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:37 PM   #34
Fishbed77

Quote:
And if that is the case, where does FN fit into the equation since they have the government contract now?
FN doesn't fit into this discussion at all, since they do not produce any ARs for the civilian market.
Old January 7, 2014, 04:20 PM   #35
greyeyezz

Read the text in red. Are RR's subjected to that level of QC? Nope. Thats why I chose the 6920.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=COLT-LE6920
Old January 8, 2014, 12:25 AM   #36
Stukaman

I'm actually wanting this one and this has been a helpful thread on what to choose. It would be the AR I take to the range all the time and my go to incase of SHTF so needless to say I'm shopping around.
Old January 8, 2014, 12:04 PM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
Read the text in red. Are RR's subjected to that level of QC? Nope. Thats why I chose the 6920.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=COLT-LE6920
I think that sums up everything quite well.
Old January 8, 2014, 08:37 PM   #38
Stukaman

Link doesn't wrk on tapatalk for iphone
Old January 8, 2014, 11:57 PM   #39
Sweet Shooter

I think I might start a thread on "Daisy 177 versus Noveske Afghan". Such snobby groundless nonobjective drivel in this one.

I like the Colt a lot. I like all guns a lot. But The RRA OpIII is $imply the better overall cock in this fight. But the naysayers will never know.
-SS-
Old January 9, 2014, 11:10 AM   #40
Fishbed77

Quote:
But The RRA OpIII is $imply the better overall cock in this fight.
Hyperbolic statements like this always set my BS meter off.

Until someone can provide concrete QA/QC & component info for the RRA rifles similar to what Colt has provided (in greyeyezz's post), there really is no room for discussion. My projection is that you won't find it because such QA/QC controls don't exist at RRA.

That's not to say RRA doesn't make a great rifle that you will enjoy and be perfectly happy with. But the "better overall" comment is delusional at best.
Old January 9, 2014, 02:17 PM   #41
Sweet Shooter

What really is delusional is thinking that just because you''re buying a "Colt" and because "Colts" are .mil (some of them) that you'll be getting a better, higher quality rifle. It isn't necessarily the case. And my point is for the money, as a civ, you get way more gun with the RRA. Mil spec is only a set of parameters. And it's out-dated.
-SS-
Old January 9, 2014, 03:52 PM   #42
Strafer Gott

Having a known quantity only matters when it does. These are range toys for most shooters. If you had to cash in your butt for coming up short, you might feel differently about what you carry. There's more to it than shining chrome barrels and free floating handguards. Oh, and that delusional crap talk is profiling, and I resent it.
Old January 9, 2014, 04:38 PM   #43
Sweet Shooter

Profiling who? Not profiling anyone. I stand by the comment. For a civilian the RRA is the better gun for the given budget. Resent all you want, read the OP he wanted opinions. That's what he got.
-SS-
Old January 9, 2014, 04:43 PM   #44
spacemanspiff

Well obviously brand abc is FAR better at putting holes in paper than brand def.
But, if you absolutely positively have to have a 'go-to' rifle for defensive purposes, then definitely brand ghi and xyz are proven to make things deader than any other brands out there.
64% of people who read the internet pages I do believe the same way. And 12 out of 10 ectobiologists agree that deader is better.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:27 PM   #45
Fishbed77

Quote:
What really is delusional is thinking that just because you''re buying a "Colt" and because "Colts" are .mil (some of them) that you'll be getting a better, higher quality rifle. It isn't necessarily the case. And my point is for the money, as a civ, you get way more gun with the RRA. Mil spec is only a set of parameters. And it's out-dated.

You made your decision, paid for a RRA, and you like it. That's OK. No one is questioning that. We're happy for you.

Unfortunately you have become too emotionally attached to a rifle you own and made a decision to purchase to weigh in rationally. The OP asked a question, and several folks here gave the OP their recommendation, and some were able to even back up that choice with objective facts as to why they made that recommendation. You have no similar objective information to to provide, so you have resorted to vague insults toward Colt owners.

Life is too short to get emotionally involved in silly internet arguments. You should go out and blow off some steam by putting a few thousand rounds through your RRA.
Old January 10, 2014, 02:51 AM   #46
Sweet Shooter

Not quite sure how I made vague insults to colt owners. Sorry if that's how it sounded. You were the one slinging delusional.

I couldn't be less emotional about firearms. I buy 'em, and sell 'em.
Over and out.
-SS-
Old January 10, 2014, 11:28 PM   #47
Fishbed77

Quote:
Since Sweet Shooter was trying to dilute the facts here with his statements, let's make it clear that the LE6920MP-FDE the OP was asking about is the closest non-SBR rifle a civilian can buy to a Mil-Spec M4 Carbine, with the only differences being the 16" barrel, the lack of a select fire FCG, and the upgrade to Magpul MOE furniture.

Also the specs used for the LE6920 are not "outdated," as, aside from the aforementioned differences, they are identical to the current TDP.