The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 16, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Gunbroker.com is a huge rip off!

I'm shopping around for NFA deals and for reloading components.

I just like shopping for deals.

So I go to gunbroker expecting to get deals. I mean, it's like eBay, where I can usually find good deals. Right? Wrong!

Gunbroker.com is a huge freaking rip off.

Prices at stores like midsouthshooters, Midway, and powder valley are way cheaper. Even places like Everest shooting is cheaper (one seller is selling the same brass as Everest, but at a higher price!)

They're supposed to be cutting out the middle man, but yet their prices are way higher. Since when did a individual to individual seller demand more than a retail to individual seller?

Individual to individual sale is riskier than retail to individual sale bc of the lack of an established business, so it should generally be cheaper. But not on gunbroker.com!

It seems that sellers on gunbroker were the hoarders, etc, who are now trying to flip their stuff. I notice a lot of the products.

And a lot of the items have zero bids. Look at this idiot selling 250 plated bullets for a stupid price... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=354254034 Buy 250 plated bullets for $52! Lol

And to add insult to injury, gunbroker tried charging me $1 on my credit card when I signed up. No way am I joining!

Gunbroker.com sucks!
Old July 16, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Theohazard

Quote:
Machineguntony posted
Gunbroker.com is a huge freaking rip off.

Prices at stores like midsouthshooters, Midway, and powder valley are way cheaper. Even places like Everest shooting is cheaper (one seller is selling the same brass as Everest, but at a higher price!)

They're supposed to be cutting out the middle man, but yet their prices are way higher. Since when did a individual to individual seller demand more than a retail to individual seller?
There's a huge difference between those other sites and Gunbroker: Those other sites are normal retail sites, and Gunbroker is an auction site. Sellers are free to charge whatever prices they want, and buyers are free to pay whatever prices they want. Gunbroker doesn't set the prices on the items listed on the site, the users do.

Gunbroker's prices are self-regulating; if the sellers' prices are truly too high for those products, no one will buy them. It's Economics 101.

Quote:
Machineguntony posted
And to add insult to injury, gunbroker tried charging me $1 on my credit card when I signed up. No way am I joining!
This is to prevent fraud; they want to stop computer bots automatically signing up for Gunbroker accounts. That $1 is refunded once you sign up.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:31 AM   #3
cryogenic419

Gunbroker is just like every other auction site out there, some good deals to be had and some charging way too much for stuff. Would it change your mind if I said I found a NIB Rock River Arms NM rifle for a very reasonable price when nobody else was able to procure one?
Old July 16, 2013, 04:16 AM   #4
silvermane_1

remember MGTony, folks are only willing to sell at those prices if folks are willing to pay those prices.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old July 16, 2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Old Stony

Blaming Gunbroker for high prices isn't really what I would call fair. They merely have a venue for other people to buy and sell. I stay away from most of the people on there that have high reserves and stuff like that, as the only way to really have an auction is to let the buyers decide what they will pay for an item.
I generally agree with Gunbroker's treatment of users, with one exception. They don't seem to police the sellers good enough that have high negative feedback. One seller I know of was running as high as 13% negative at one point and Gunbroker was defending them by saying they would get it together and blamed it all on the buying frenzy. That seller's feedback constantly lists problems with them listing items they don't even have and lying to customers for months at a time over the sales.
In this case, Gunbroker is trying to keep a large seller at the expense of it's buyers. Kick out the bums and support the good sellers!
Old July 16, 2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Blaming Gunbroker for high prices isn't really what I would call fair. They merely have a venue for other people to buy and sell."

This.

"folks are only willing to sell at those prices if folks are willing to pay those prices."

And this.

It is NOT gunbroker's fault because they don't try to impose artificial caps on the private sellers who use the venue.

The economics of the firearms sports are in great disarray right now. Chances of finding good deals anywhere -- at a gun show, at a gun store, etc. -- are slim right now.

This has been going on for some time, and will continue to go on as long as people keep panic buying.

No new ground is going to be covered in this thread that hasn't been covered repeatedly in previous threads over the past few months, so there's really no reason for this thread to rebeat the same dead horse.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread