The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
oldone

Primers

Everyone seems to out and back ordered.
Who has them? This seems to be a future problem, can't reload with them.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Can't reload with them if you don't have them. Primers seem to sell out as fast at they appear, currently. Panic buying is still going on and also ammo component makers have government orders to fill from the end of last year. I hear it's supposed to get better either this month or next, but who knows how the market saturation will play out for sure. If you put some on backorder somewhere that will accept back orders, you'll at least be in line and you'll get them eventually.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 3, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, not being snarky,but you are JUST noticing this now? It has been happening since the beginning of November and escalated even more after the CT shooting. Place your back order and wait is about thebestyoull find, unless you stumble across some in an out of the way gun shop
Old February 3, 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

what I heard... talked to a guy that does commercial reloading for resale... his suppliers told him 4 months before he could expect small pistol primers to ship to him... I'd guess it'll be longer for the mom & pop shops, since this guy reloads commercially... not helping that everyone is out of ammo... the manufacterers are going to make & sell completed ammo, before they release components for resale ( there is more profit margin on loaded ammo )... at this point, I'm holding off on reloading, & just getting all my brass prepped & ready, saving the boxes of primers I have in case I needed something specific, or until I can replace what I have, so I can start loading again...
Old February 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

We have a local shop that still has reloading components in stock. The prices are higher than I would normally want to pay. It is convenient when you really need something. You might consider looking for some place like this. The other options are to get on a list for back orders or wait for things to come available again. I do suggest once things settle down to try and slowly increase your on hand stock until you have enough to last a year or two. I'm thinking these shortages are going to start happening more often rather than less in the future.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Adamantium

A few places have large pistol and large rifle and shotgun, but essentially nowhere has small pistol or rifle.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:43 AM   #7
spacecoast

I found SPPs at Natchez a couple of weeks ago but they go quickly. Get on their email notifications for types you need.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:59 AM   #8
bubbacrabb

I'm just shooting my 1911s and 44 mags more than anything right now. Small pistol primers have been low for a long while. Large pistol primers have been around here and there. So I've got a good stock of them. Just going to take it easy on small pistol primer stuff for a while. I'm sure it will come back around summer time.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
overhead

I have been able to find a Tula small pistol primers here and there. I picked up a couple of thousand from Natchez early last week, I went back to order a couple of thousand for a friend about an hour later and they were sold out. I also saw Tula SPP at the gun show in Richmond last weekend so I picked up some more. If you check Midway's page it appears they expect to have the Tula primers back in stock this Friday. I don't know why, but it appears Tula seems to be your best bet if you really need primers. I found them by checking out the major suppliers everyday at lunch just to see if any had arrived, I guess I got lucky.