The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
brokenarrow41

Hornady Critical Defense

Does anyone know the material used in the tip of one of these rounds and is it worth trying to duplicate in other hollow points? It looks like Permatex high heat form a gasket.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
MrDontPlay

Unless you're going to use them for SD I don't think it's worth it. That stuff is there so the bullet doesnt get clogged with fabric from clothing. Cans and animals dont have clothes.
Old March 25, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
PawPaw

Yeah, I was looking at those the other day. It seems to me that the hollowpoint is already clogged with a squishy plastic. It should keep denim out, but what additional purpose it serves is beyond me.

I'm sure that they're good bullets, Hornady has made a name for building good bullets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 25, 2012, 04:04 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

its a plastic polymer. you can pull them out with a metal pick to mess with them if you wanted to but they dont go back in.

its there to prevent the hollow point from getting "clogged" with whatever it is penetrating and to force expansion when it encounters an object.

think of using a wedge to split a log. it has to force the wood apart because it has nowhere else to go. same with the polymer plug. it cant move down the bullet so it pushes out on the sides forcing the bullet to "flower" open. All the ones i shot at water jugs look just like they do in the pictures. nice and open.

Its why i use the critical defense and the critical duty as my round of choice for carry.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Cascade1911

OK, nobody out there has tried some silicone? Really?
Old March 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
zeke

google "silicone in jhp's"
Old March 26, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
dacaur

Just an FYI.... I had been under the impression that critical defense was a bonded bullet for some reason, its not. Found that out shooting phone books when the jacket/core sperated) after I switched to speer gold dot (yes that one is bonded) I shot both types at some 3/4" Plexiglas.... the hornady made it in about 1/8" and bounced out... didn't find it and didn't hear it ricochet so dont know what happened exactly... A FMJ and a Speer gold dot both penetrated completly and stopped in the Plexiglas (its tough stuff!!!)....

The other reason I dont like the critical defense.... the plastic tip can drag on the mag and slow things down just enough to cause a misfeed....